Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:49:02 PM EDT
There have been several arguements here and there with a few fist fights afterwards over what is the best camo pattern or color.
I was sitting here watching primitive instinct on the outdoor channel and Jim Shockey was guiding a bear hunt. the hunter was head to toe real tree camo Jim was in his usual black coat, red bandana, and black hat.
I will say for hunting, good camo covers alot of mistakes, but I was wonder.

1. Is human sight really that much better than most animals?
2. Is your typical person any more observant  than most animals?
3. does color really matter as much as movement and cover?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I will just throw my thoughts in here, to answer your question about the best camo pattern.... Until we as humans can cloak with our environment,  and have active camo like aliens I guess and some bugs out there then I would say a marine sniper's ghillie suit is the best camo

1. Is human sight really that much better than most animals? I'm pretty sure that other than birds of prey (eagles, hawks, owls etc.) we pretty much have most animals beat as far as eyesight goes, during the day... I know cats and other night animals like raccoons have us beat when the sun goes down. Most animals hear or smell us before they see us. Take a dog for example.. pretty shitty eyesight really when compared to humans, their hearing is pretty close to ours when within the same range of what we can hear, though they have a much broader range of hearing so they can pick up sounds that we can not, I don't think I need to go into their smelling capabilities.

2. Is your typical person any more observant than most animals? Typical person–––– NO... Most americans might as well be wearing cow bells around their necks, because they walk around eating all day long, and shitting everywhere with an occasional squeezing of the tit.... That's none of us here though of course.   Most people don't maintain a heads up attitude where they are actively searching for threats or things that don't fit. Plus we as humans have very few natural predators on a daily basis... It's not like 99.9% of the population wakes up everyday and has to worry that something may jump out of the bushes and fucking eat them while they get a drink of water. I believe animals are way more in tuned with their surroundings than we will ever be. Unless that person is a professional tracker.  

3. does color really matter as much as movement and cover? I would say this depends on which colors you are talking about. Obviously something bright orange in the middle of a snow field or in the jungles will stand out to other animals that aren't color blind regardless of it's moving or just siting there... it doesn't belong and they know that. Now If it is an earth tone color that is similar to what else is around then it definitely  comes down to movement. Think if you were walking in NYC and you saw a newspaper stand on the sidewalk....ok great those are everywhere.... no big deal.... but if that same newspaper stand got up and started looking around, farted, and walked across the street.. you would be sitting there going WTF??? that's not normal. So if you are out in the woods dressed like a tree and you scratch your ass then run over and hide behind another tree ... then the animal is going to be the one saying WTF is that??? and run away or whatever it decides to do.

Idk these are just my thoughts... and I may be completely full of shit so take it for what its worth..
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Camo is way overthought.  Get a drab pattern that kind-of blends in to your environment.  It doesnt need to be high speed or tacticool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, Jim was dressed essentially in all black and the bear didn't pay him much mind until they got a whiff of them.
Watching Jim, he is almost always in black or very little camo, regardless of where he is hunting.

so I guess, outside of being hunted by professionals, keeping alert and using cover and movement properly with earth tones and any camo sounds like it will work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I could be mistaken but I believe bears have fairly poor eyesight. Their strongest sense is their sense of smell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I could be mistaken but I believe bears have fairly poor eyesight. Their strongest sense is their sense of smell.

from what Ive heard, their sight is pretty bad relying mostly on smell. but he wears the same thing with other game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top