Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2011 4:03:36 PM EDT
ok i'm looking into getting a new helmet, i may go with new from a manufacturer directly or go to the EE here or Ebay..... whats the difference between the new ones?  is there any actual difference between ACH and the MICH or is that just different company names?

i'm not interested in the USMC helmets as those are oddball and i don't like them for aftermarket reasons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
MICH and ACH are basically the same thing. MICH is Modular Integrated Communications Helmet. ACH is Advanced Combat Helmet. MICH is the system, ACH is basically the helmet portion of the system. Both terms are interchangeable.

I'm not sure what you mean by MAS. MSA is a brand that makes ACH helmets. As does Gentex and BAE.

There are also 3 basic styles of MICH/ACH helmets. 2000, 2001, and 20002. Often prefaced by "TC" (eg: TC-2001)
(Left to right) 2000 is standard, 2002 is mid cut, and 2001 is high cut

ACH helmets use pads to fit, as opposed to a suspension system. Used standard ACHs in the EE run about $150-200.

The USMC LWH (light weight helmet) is basically a lightened PASGT. There are accessories out there for it, although it's not as nice as the MICH setup.

I'm not sure what your budget is. There are also RBR and Kejo helmets. These run about $350 new, and if you want a high cut helmet are less expensive than similar high cut ACH helmets, which run about $500 new. Although, they don't have an ACH headstrap bolt pattern or size, so they won't fit some accessories like rail systems. I also find the suspension systems less comfortable. Although you can retrofit a RBR or Kejo with pads and a helmet strap.

If you have some real money, you could also check out the OPs-Core FAST Ballistic or a Crye Precision Air Frame. Although, those will run about $950.

OP, what's your budget? Do you have any specific needs? Maybe that will help us point you in a right direction.

ETA: There are usually some good deals on helmet setups in the EE
Medium TC2000 with Norotos Shroud and Arm
Large MSA TC2002 fully kitted out
Large Gentex ACH $250
Medium ACH -$150

Standard ACHs are the best deals going right now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
MSA, I meant msa.  Ya i figured they were jus different names for the same helmet but in a different cut.  So as long if I get any of the above it's fine?  And the MSA is just a modle name from the manufacturer?  Well I'm about to go to afghan and the LWH is shitty, well i don't even have one yet and I don't feel like waiting for one that is probably going to be falling apart.  They have a few of the ACHs in the supply wearhouse but I'm not gonna wait for one of them.  I figure I'll just buy my owne and say I got it issued to me because you get what you pay for.  Price isn't too big a deal so I would like one set up for both 3 and 1 hole mounts, I'll be using the 1 hole in country so I don't stand out but after I'll keep it and probably upgrade.  I have the Ops-core liner kit which doesn't the LWH so I need something different.   a link to another thread I started on the topic, will answer a few more of your questions.  

I also know that I'm not supposed to print my own PPE and what not but I'm pretty sure what I buy is gonna be a lot better than a Kevlar that's had the shit beat out of it by who ones and dropped repeatedly on hard ground.  It's normal precise to take your gear off and just drop it.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=342348
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Also some googling found me This link that has separate categories for "ACH" and "MICH".  That's just marketing and different names?
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure why theyre under different categories. Probably what the manufacturer named them.

MSA isn't a a model name, it's a brand. MSA, Gentex, BAE, and ArmorSource are all companies who have contracts with the Army for the ACH.

I don't know of anyone who will drill both 3 and 1 hole patterns on a helmet. If you're using 1 hole overseas with a standard mount, and want something a bit better when you get back, look into the Norotos Universal Shroud, it's very stable with a 1-hole pattern.

A standard ACH off the EE is your best bet. Get something basically new for $200, or pay $500 the same thing from a retailer. I would honestly try to stick to a helmet made by one of the contractors, as those will be the closest specs to what would actually be issued.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The Marine Corps is in the process of fielding 6000 ACHs for Marines deploying to AFG this summer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
is it worth the extra money to buy a brand new one from say TNVC seeing as i'll be going to Afghan with this or does banging them around not degrade them that much?  i see it as the one i'm getting from CIF is going to be in the same if not worse condition than one i get used off Ebay or the EE here.  when i say banging around i mean normal use such as it being clipped to your gear being bumped around or similar situations, not purposely beating it against the ground or a armored MRAP door just to see how tough it is.  the one from CIF could have had who knows what done to it.

also what does TNVC require for me to buy armor from them? would my activation orders or Mil ID be enough or do i need something from my command?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
is it worth the extra money to buy a brand new one from say TNVC seeing as i'll be going to Afghan with this or does banging them around not degrade them that much?  i see it as the one i'm getting from CIF is going to be in the same if not worse condition than one i get used off Ebay or the EE here.  when i say banging around i mean normal use such as it being clipped to your gear being bumped around or similar situations, not purposely beating it against the ground or a armored MRAP door just to see how tough it is.  the one from CIF could have had who knows what done to it.

also what does TNVC require for me to buy armor from them? would my activation orders or Mil ID be enough or do i need something from my command?

You will probably get a new or newish one from CIF if you dont have one issued already. Just make sure you inspect it. After a couple missions it will look like shit anyway. As for your own armor, your command will not let you use your own unless you are in some secret ninja unit. Your unit will give you all you need,so dont sweat it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The civilian helmets are rated differently than the MIL helmets. MSA has a specific name for the civilian models, but I don't recall that name.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will probably get a new or newish one from CIF if you dont have one issued already. Just make sure you inspect it. After a couple missions it will look like shit anyway. As for your own armor, your command will not let you use your own unless you are in some secret ninja unit. Your unit will give you all you need,so dont sweat it.

you would think so............
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
For your billet, yes they will.

For most part guys who spend a ton of money of various high speed low drag gear, waste a whole bunch of money.  As of last Oct the average ground combat Marine deploys with approx 27,000 dollars in gear.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What is your MOS?

I'm sure CIF will give you what you need. No need to waste $.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm buying this stuff cause i want it anyway, i need a head rig to run my NV on anyway so i'm not wasting the money.  i did get an ACH but the jackass who sold it to me didn't mention that is had a MAJOR blunt impact that cracked the Kevlar some.  not safe to wear in anything other than training and i wouldn't bet on it stopping a bullet, i filed a claim threw pay-pal after the seller didn't respond to 4 emails over 5 days.  you get what you pay for, i've learned that very well in the past few years so that's why i'd rather outfit myself than rely on supply or CIF for some of the stuff.  i'm not buying aftermarket gear to use, i'm buying USMC stuff that made it's way to Ebay in a few cases like some cheap used FROG gear (only issue 4 sets) so everything i have is CIF gear but i didn't get if from them.  

i don't have a flack jacket (MTV, unit supply can't get me one or something) i'm not really pushing on that one cause i don't want an MTV, just an SPC
no SAPIs either
the LWH they were giving out looked like it sat outside in Iraq for about 3 years, they also aren't even the pad system ones.  they are the suspension LWH with the suspension taken out then a roll of sticky velcro and pads are handed out with them.  
missing multiple items off of the new CIF issue because supply doesn't have them in the right sizes.  
no one has plate carriers  (i brought my own from my house)

also no idea what out mission is or what the hell anyone is gonna be doing, total shit show.  i'm going to be a dog handler after i go to NC for training and that's an entirely new can of WTF worms right there.  i am completely 100% sure that i have no idea what i'll be doing now....  well i'm gonna be doing "stuff and things in places with a bomb dog"  that's about it.

.. also i know about OPSEC so i can't give details so even if i wanted to i can't tell you.  haha
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Your previous deployments you were a mech for the wing and now what a 2111 supporting a deploying reserve unit?

Well its fine if you want to buy what amounts to stolen military gear because you think you need it.  But you are not going to convince many of us who have many, many patrols under our belts in both countries that you really need that gear.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
ya pretty much.... only thing is we have no idea what i'll be doing.  pretty sure i won't ever be doing my MOS though, kinda bummed about that though as it's the entire reason i joined the unit.
i just want the ACH because thats what Ops-Core makes parts for.  IE the straps and liner kit, if they had a version that worked for the LWH i'd get it and use that.  i just hate the USMC helmet and pad system, that's all i started this thread for.  i sold my liner kit to a guy here last week who had an ACH, said it was the most comfortable thing he's ever had on his head which is the exact opposite of my LWH even after i messed around with the pads for a few days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
The only reason I bought my ACH is because shooting a long gun well in the prone is next to impossible with the LWH.  It is much more comfortable though, especially with the nape protector thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top