Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 9:25:09 AM EDT
Hi, I have been using oakley polarized glasses for shooting and fishing for the past 5-10 years. Recently I was told that polarized lenses arent optimal for the shooting sports. Doesnt make sense to me. Can anyone shed light on the topic?

Does polarized/non-polarized make any appreciable difference when shooting? Mainly in hunting(on rifle, both with iron sights and 1.75-6 scope) with a rifle and bow.

Thanks for the help, I need a new pair and was looking at a set of oakleys.Probably two sets, one with a bronze lens and one with a black Iridium (both polarized).

Any input appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like hogwash to me.  I've got both, I shoot the same with both, I see no problem with both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The only downside to polarized lenses is that they let less light in than non-polarized.   But you are gaining the benefits of cutting glare.   There are no perfect lenses, but wear polarized lenses for day to day sunglasses, but non-polarized when shooting.

My thought process was that polarized lenses are not supported by the US military, so when I bought some ballistic shooting glasses, I went with the military issue kit.   I don't know the reasons they don't support it, but I figured I would take their lead and use their same standards.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked up a pair of polarized sunglasses and discovered that I had one helluva time reading the displays on radios due to the anti-glare treatment they use.<shrug>

Personal experience is that holographic EOTech sights will not work with polarized sunglasses. Similar to LCD displays, polarized sunglasses will block viewing of the recticle in certain angles. In my case, this includes laying on back and shooting in heads down attitude around barriers.

If you are fishing, polarized is great. Shooting CQB, not so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
the only thing so far that I can't read with polarized lenses is my ipod. when shooting out doors or just outdoors period I wear polarized lenses. The protection of my eyes is worth more that being able to read ipods and radios. you only get to so keep them safe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the only thing so far that I can't read with polarized lenses is my ipod. when shooting out doors or just outdoors period I wear polarized lenses. The protection of my eyes is worth more that being able to read ipods and radios. you only get to so keep them safe.

My iPod I can read, it just has a weird rainbow of colors instead of just white.  It's interesting.

No problems with both of my Polarized Oakley's with my TA33G-H ACOG.  Aimpoint PRO on the way, if I have issues with them and my polarized glasses, I'll let you know, but I don't know when I'll be shooting next.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I picked up a pair of polarized sunglasses and discovered that I had one helluva time reading the displays on radios due to the anti-glare treatment they use.<shrug>

Personal experience is that holographic EOTech sights will not work with polarized sunglasses. Similar to LCD displays, polarized sunglasses will block viewing of the recticle in certain angles. In my case, this includes laying on back and shooting in heads down attitude around barriers.

If you are fishing, polarized is great. Shooting CQB, not so.

+1.  You will have trouble seeing red dot sights (eg aimpoint and eotech) when wearing polarized lenses at certain angles.  I think its anything over 30 degrees off center (but dont quote me on that).  However, a positive is you can see better through tinted windows and can see great through water when fishing.  So, go for them if you are shooting fish or if you are going to do a lot of executive protection.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like polarized for all the stated reasons. I was on an ied lane and couldn't see exposed wire but it glinted like a mother when I took em off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#9]
This is interesting. I have worn polarized sunglasses for years because of my job. I treat lakes and ponds and am out on the water all day long or constantly driving in the sun so my sunglasses stay on all day. I have never shot an AR with an optic on it with my shades on but I was planning on getting an EOTech for my first optic when money is there.....should be interesting what the sight picture is through my Bolle sunglasses. I guess I could go to my local shop and look through one with my sunglasses on inside? Anyway thanks for the heads up on this, I would have never thought polarized sunglasses could cause this.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have polarized lenses in my straight jackets I wear. Just went shooting all day with them a few weeks ago and had no trouble seeing through my Eotech on my AR or the PSOP on my AK. Also did not have trouble on with my iron sights. The only thing I've notice I can't see is my camera. When I hold it horizontally, the display screen is fine. But when I turn it for a vertical shot, it seems to black out and I can't see anything. Other than that, they've never given me a problem.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Some diopter sights used on Highpower Match/Palma rifles have Polarized filters but they are only used for attaining the best possible sight picture on a bullseye target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top