Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 7:56:34 PM EDT
Looking for a Medic bag/pack.   I am a Paramedic full time.  Its what i do as my profession.  I have a chance to become part of the SWAT team, have to pass all the requirements first.  I was wondering what everyone has or recomends as a good pack for medical use.  I have bee looking  and found the BDS but very expensive.  It that is what they run then that is what I will have to pay but just need some input on the matter.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
a decent med bag is going to cost $$$

but what is team SOP?

what do you carry now and why is that insufficient for this
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I use my everyday first in bag, drug bag and monitor.  This is a new concept for my city as a whole.  I don't know if they are going to issue anything but want something for the house and car.   Having the knolage but not the tools when the situation comes alot makes you feel helpless.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Mystery Ranch RATS, it is awesome but it is pricey.  Most dedicated med bags are.  There are a few bags that do a good job tailoring to the tac medic, and each has their good and bad.

Also look at LBT, Blackhawk, CTOMS, North American rescue, chinook medical, etc...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a review of the London Bridge Trading Co. [Tactical Field Care Medical Bag]..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4LwBSMDfsI

(It looks like a really nice bag, but it's not cheap...)
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a lot of good packs but are you talking an aid bag or a full size medical ruck? Is this an existing program to have civilain medics with the SWAT team (I'm assuming you are not already a peace officer and therefore not going to be armed and used as part of the actual entry team) or is this a new program where you are wring the SOP's.

Going off the premise you will enter building / or structures after the entry team has secured it; look at what you will be doing in your roll.

First a large medical ruck is a pain to carry around, I've not weighed mine but I leave that bitch in my ride or if I do carry it, I'm not carring it far (think mass cas. type situation). If I need something from it it's not too far away. So depending upon your SOP's my sugestion is if you carry a medical pack is drop that thing close to your breach point or leave it near the location close but do keep your it at least somewhat close by as it will have your large load out in case the whole mess turns really bad or you need those less common items like a c-collar or some SAMS Splint.

You want to carry a working aid bag, something you can move around structures in and be fast with. Think about what you will be treating. GSW, knife wounds or other penitrating traumas. All you need to carry is those basic IFAK items, only in larger numbers to support your team and a civilian or two if needed. You don't need a SpO2 monitor, BP cuff and portable ventilator. Leave all that shit in your ruck. Same with the intubation kit. You need things like Pressure dressings, TQ's, NPA's and a crich kit (if you are checked off on this skill and ok'ed by your medical control).

Think something like this
NAR High Risk Warrent bag
This one is stocked but you can get something like this and stock it yourself for a lot less.
There are lot of other makers of these. This is the one I carry Recon Mountaineer TC3-V1.
Recon Mountaineer
It's ok for the job, it holds a lot of the basics (kirlex x 4, combat gauze  2, pressure dressings x 4, Hemcon 4x4 x 1, couple of extra TQ's, 14g x 3.5 Angiocaths x 2, NPA's x 4, chest seals x 2, H&H Crich kit and finally my casevac supplies).

Another good aid bag option is the So Tech Mission go bag. It's not a purpose build medical bag but it's one of the most versatile and best pieces of kit I have ever bought. I've used it as an aid bag and the only down side is it does not have an cute little elastic loops inside to hold some small items like NPA's or chem lights.

One of your big jobs will be training your SWAT shooters. Make sure EVERY one of them have an IFAK on them, properly stocked with the basics and in a location they can get to it and they know how to use everything in it. If you end up going to a tactical medic role and if you have not had Tactical Medic training get some by a reputable trainer. I'm guesisng you have done your homework, as a professional, and know the enviroment is different that the normal EMS. It will be eye opening and you will get to do some cool stuff. You will also find out what things you really need and what you don't.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks you for all the great advice and bags.  Nothing is written in stone and the role realy has not been layed out.  So posibley a good 2 way input would be nice and combine the good ideas from both sides.  Another use for this bad is for my personal use just in the house/tuck and go every were with me so that is why I was looking for something with a decent size but not huge.  

I was one of the medics involved in the 3 officer killing in april in pittsburgh and kind of stemed from that.  Everyone talking about it but realy say the need for it after.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top