Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 2:12:01 PM EDT
Hopefully simple question, I see prices for stand alone plates very well below the price of regular plates and soft armor, why would you still run soft armor?

Is it extremely uncomfortable without it?

Is it like saying , why the hell wouldn't you wear the extra armor when your wanting to stop bullets, etc?

My very very limited experience with plates I can only guess these are the reasons, can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
To achieve level IV you need to wear soft body armor under most all plates.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Even under a standalone level IV plate, it's a good idea to wear plate backers or soft armor. Helps to absorb the trauma and in case the back of the plate ever dents from a ballistic impact, the soft armor will absorb it instead of your ribs..
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hopefully simple question, I see prices for stand alone plates very well below the price of regular plates and soft armor, why would you still run soft armor?

Is it extremely uncomfortable without it?

Is it like saying , why the hell wouldn't you wear the extra armor when your wanting to stop bullets, etc?

My very very limited experience with plates I can only guess these are the reasons, can anyone confirm?

Plates only cover a small area of your torso, soft armor almost always covers more.

"stand alone" means the round won't penetrate, but it will still leave a bruise and can break bones.  Think of it as 'minimum necessary' to do the job, and adding soft armor will help reduce the trauma further.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically what I was thinking, thanks for confirming guys.

I think I might go with the Mayflower set-up and run low profile plate carrier and chest rig that way I can go light or heavy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top