Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 7:06:14 PM EDT
so i might be getting a new job as an armed guard/driver

what would be a good set up as far as gun belt and armor? im thinking IIIA concealable with full coverage and maybe a rifle or trauma plate pocket in the front.

im used to the safariland SLS system and i usually carry a glock 17. thoughts?

im a bit more concerned with armor at this point. weight is not an issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

what would be a good set up as far as gun belt and armor? im thinking IIIA concealable with full coverage and maybe a rifle or trauma plate pocket in the front.

Here's a link
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a link

that was unhelpful. thanks. heres another link

http://www.armoredpro.com/index.php?p=1_17_Armored-Guards-Killed

does anyone have anything helpful to add?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive been a commissioned security officer for the State of Texas for about 10 years.  When it comes to security posts, the area you work, type of work you do, etc will determine your loadout.  Also, check with the company you work for,  they may have SOP's as to what gear/weapons you are authorized to use.  Last thing you want to do is buy gear that you aren't allowed to use.

Now to answer your question,
There is nothing wrong with the Safariland retention holsters (I use one)
Nothing wrong with a Glock 17 (I carry a Glock 22)
And the armor sounds fine, but forget about the rifle plate..it won't be concealable.  
 Truth is, the more you wear your gear, it will probably change over the next year or two until you settle on what works best for you.  Get all the training you can afford, as often as you can.  Oh, and becoming friends with God isn't a bad idea either.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you think your greatest threat round will be?

If your worried about  .44mag, might go with 3A.

If your worried about roasting to death 8 hours a day hauling bags of change around to banks, might want go level 2.  little lighter.

If your worried about getting stabbed, get something with an additional stab rating.  Bulletproof does not equal stab proof.

Woven vests can withstand contact shots where apparently laminates do not.

HDPE plates ROCK.  I was at a live fire plate test, and the thing withstood 5.7, 12ga slug at near contact, .40, .45, 9mm and so on.  All on the same plate!  They just won't stop rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been an Armored Car Guard for the last 7 years.
The three most used and useful things you'll buy for yourself are good pens, a good flashlight and a good multi tool.

Some Armored Car companies will contribute to a vest purchase, so check.  
Mine will pay half up to $300. They will also front the entire amount then payroll deduct your portion.  
I'm currently wearing a IIIA vest.  I have a hard IIIA plate in the front trauma plate pocket.
I don't think you'll sweat any less with 'lighter', 'thinner' armor.

My work rig is about 1/4 way down this page.
It is very comfortable to wear and hasn't interfered or gotten hung up.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replys gentlemen

what kinds of armor are you guys using and do you have any preferance? after 2 years downrange i dont care about weight or heat, just coverage and protection.

i think the moste likely attacks would be 1-2 people with handguns. caliber would be whatever so i want something that can handle most threats. im less concerned with knives though i like the idea of a stab resistant vest.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My first vest was an American Body Armor, Extreme Armor.  I'm pretty sure it was IIIA. I don't remember what the ballistic package was.  
My current armor is a IIIA P.A.C.A. IIRC, the ballistic package is a mix of  Gold flex, Spectra shield and Twaron.
The next vest I get will be woven aramid, as I believe that most likely, shoot outs are going to be at bad breath range.  
Both are concealment cut.  For this job, I don't see the need for the extra side protection of  the military type cuts like SPEAR/BALCS, RAV,etc.  
That's a personal choice though.  

Oddly enough, the one guy that I know of that was going to try to rob me, had a knife.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
where do you get your armor from? and would you care to share your knife weilding badguy experience

ETA thanks for replying!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
The ABA came from a local cop shop, called Roy Taylor and the PACA, came from Galls.

My next vest will be through somebody else.  
I'm only in the preliminary stages right now but strong candidates are  Grey Group and SKD.

The bad guy story is really anticlimactic.
The setting is a small town in very rural Ohio.
Dirt bag drug dealer's business skills suck and he is behind with his boss.
He's a big boy, so he decides he'll over power the little armored car messenger with his BFK.
We saw him scoping us the week before and changed our route.
The day dirt bag chose was cold and rainy.
He got tired of being cold and wet, standing around in front of the bank and went in and robbed it .
Being this is a rural town that he grew up in, everybody knew him.
Including the teller he went to high school with and decided to stick the knife in her face.
He was caught about a week later.  
IIRC, he was sentenced to 3-7 and may have been paroled by now.  
I don't do that route anymore so I've lost my contacts there.  

Riveting tale, right?  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
it has a happy ending, he went to jail!

i lived in minerva for a bit and had some contacts at stark security in canton until they sold out.

ill check into skd. i know GGT is expensive but they dont carry anything thats not quality. might look for a local police supply too. thanks for your help! if theres anything else you think might be helpful please let me know
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
My experience is only 7 years with two vests.
That being said....
I'll always get level IIIA.  I want that protection.
The guys I've seen in level II vests are sweating just as much. Having deployed, you'll probably just laugh at the complainers.

I like the straps to be completely removable.
Not only does this offer more adjustability but the elastic always seem to crap out before I'm ready to replace the vest.
This way you can buy or fabricate replacements.  
You could always get an extra carrier but A. they're expensive. B. I've never worn one out. (other than the straps.)
C. On the rare occasion I felt I had to wash it, I just did it on my day off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Didn't the two fellows down in Florida (guys who knocked off banks and an armored car) who ended up being in the big shootout with the FBI back in the '90s use a Mini-14? I would not assume that you will only face pistols and shotguns as a threat.

I would think that being armored for 3-a would not be enough, personally. At the least, an additional rifle plate in the front would be what I'd want. No, it won't be very concealed.

If you haven't seen it yet, go and check out this discussion of LEO patrol armor - it might give you some ideas, or at the least what to avoid). You'll need to sign up to see it though: Lightfighter discussion with DocGKR
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks guys, i want the best armor, just like everyone else. i just cant afford it right now. just like everyone else. id love to have the option to upgrade to it. im still waiting to hear back from them as i took my poly yesterday. so might all come to naught.

ill register to lightfighter. might have less bs than arfcom has had lately.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#14]
11April1986 FBI shootout in Miami.
28Feb1997 North Hollywood shootout.

Yeah, sometimes, bad guys use long guns, but this is extremely rare.  Besides, they are difficult to conceal.
Situational awareness is the key.  Observe the area before you get off the truck.
I always tell the new guys, 'Slow down and look around. You've got the rest of your life to get off the truck.'

Honestly, you're most likely to get killed by your driver wrecking the truck.  
The seat belt has saved more guys than Kevlar.

I have the Level III patrol armor test thread at Lightfighter bookmarked and check for updates.
For a while I was considering the Eagle/SKD LVAC for my next armor because of this thread

It comes down to what is statistically likely and what is your acceptable level of risk.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
11April1986 FBI shootout in Miami.
28Feb1997 North Hollywood shootout.

Yeah, sometimes, bad guys use long guns, but this is extremely rare.  Besides, they are difficult to conceal.
Situational awareness is the key.  Observe the area before you get off the truck.
I always tell the new guys, 'Slow down and look around. You've got the rest of your life to get off the truck.'

Honestly, you're most likely to get killed by your driver wrecking the truck.  
The seat belt has saved more guys than Kevlar.

I have the Level III patrol armor test thread at Lightfighter bookmarked and check for updates.
For a while I was considering the Eagle/SKD LVAC for my next armor because of this thread

It comes down to what is statistically likely and what is your acceptable level of risk.  

Very true.

Check with your company, most armored companies provide vests or will cover some of your vest purchase. Ours has a partnership with Galls and we get IIIAs from them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top