Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2010 6:14:40 PM EDT
Does an one know anything about these plates???

Thanks!            www.expertguns.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=72943
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I would hazard a guess that it won't stop M855 or other AP rounds (steel core 7.62x39). It might stop M193 as many polyethelene plates do, but the ad doesn't say. It being NIJ level 3 rated does not help us here, since NIJ does not test for any .223/5.56 threats.

If you are looking for a decent level 3 plate, read this testing discussion and consider one of the plates DocGKR tested HERE  You do have to register to read it. It's good info.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys – so the whole reason I made this post regarding the EGI Titan Ultralight Level III Armor Plate was I purchased some about six months ago.
When I received the plates from EGI there was not much info regarding the stopping power of the plates,  ie:  something in writing stating the plates’ capabilities from the actual manufacturer.  All that came with the plates was a general disclaimer for body armor. The plate also came unprotected, it was the raw dyneema material with what looked like red spray-paint on one side.

SO… today I took one of my light red plates  to find out for myself what I have, and no surprise:
Note the plate didn’t have a level IIIA backer, only the plate was tested.   Also, I am by no means a certified testing laboratory!
M855 Green Tip - Plate Failed
Foreign SS109 – Plate Failed
XM193 – Plate defeated the round
Hornady 75gr 223 TAP – Plate defeated the round.

All shots were fired from 25yds, with a Bushmaster ACR that has a 16in barrel.

Side note: the ACR rocks!!!

If anyone would like me to post photos of the before and after shots of the plate let me know.  Also, if anyone knows of a good light plate available to civi’s that will defeat all 556 rounds, please let me know.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
First, I'd like to thank you for spending your own money, doing the test and posting the results. You may not have done it like Doc Roberts, but you still got a result.  

Well, as was stated already, its really not surprising that the plate didn't stop the 855 or ss109. Plates with this construction usually don't.

Its also not really surprising that it stopped the xm193.  Plates with this construction usually do.

I guess the TAP, even though heavier, didn't penetrate because it has a different construction than the 855/ss109.

I noticed that the EGI web site said the pates are half inch thick.  Is this true?  

Bulletproofme.com has their poly plates listed as .9 inch for ICW and 1.15 inch for stand alone.

There may be some significance there, if true.    

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
With the lack of info I received on the plate from EGI I had to test it for my peace of mind!!
I can’t trust my life with a product if I don’t know what its capable of!

To answer your question the plates are really like ¾” thick.

Guess I’ll be going to ceramic plates next, there just so fragile though!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I think fragile is a relative term.

Sure, ceramic plates won't take the kind of abuse that the AMI tac3s will,   but their not exactly grandma's bone china tea set either.

Also, if you were strapped to that thing during those tests, I think ballistic protection would be moot.

Think more like Corelle.  Sure it'll beak but you really gotta try.  

The up side to ceramics s they don't loose their integrity when exposed to very high or very low temperatures the way polys do.

Of course, you can always buy a pair of training plates.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to sure what you're refering to as far as training plates?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not to sure what you're refering to as far as training plates?

Plates that simulate the weight of your actual ballistic plates. So you don't have to worry about banging around in them.

Some of the Point Blank ones. They are only 3.3lb though. Would be similar to the weight of most Polyethylene plates.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130358830033&rvr_id=135301031592&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVI8&GUID=fddfeb851290a06c1d964116fe5ac5e5&itemid=130358830033&ff4=263602_263622
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info on the training plates. Sounds like they’re meant for LEO/Mil training in a non-live fire training scenario. Like you said they’re just meant to simulate the weight of the plate for training.
The only training I will be doing will be in a live fire type class environment. This is the only reason to own the plates for me, as I’m a civie other than WROL/SHTF type of situations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top