Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2010 8:33:22 AM EDT
Generally, I like to stick with tactical tailor stuff as it offers a good combination of price and quality.

However, I picked up some MOLLE gear on cheaperthandirt and they turned out to be condor.

In particular, I got the 2 mag shingles for AR15. They've got the bungee retainers just like the Tactical tailor ones, but at about 1/2 the price.
Also got their BOK, again, half the price.

Both pieces seem to be pretty good quality after inspection. Durable materials, nice stitch work, not flimsy at all.

I still haven't gotten to the point where I trust getting the Condor plate carrier they sell on CTD. So I was wondering, what is the general consensus on Condor gear? Normal Chicom crap? or good budget alternative?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Generally, I like to stick with tactical tailor stuff as it offers a good combination of price and quality.

However, I picked up some MOLLE gear on cheaperthandirt and they turned out to be condor.

In particular, I got the 2 mag shingles for AR15. They've got the bungee retainers just like the Tactical tailor ones, but at about 1/2 the price.
Also got their BOK, again, half the price.

Both pieces seem to be pretty good quality after inspection. Durable materials, nice stitch work, not flimsy at all.

I still haven't gotten to the point where I trust getting the Condor plate carrier they sell on CTD. So I was wondering, what is the general consensus on Condor gear? Normal Chicom crap? or good budget alternative?

It's budget chinese made stuff that replicates well designed gear. Net result is something that looks good and will work great for occasional use.  Tons of it ends up on fighting rigs overseas (E3/E4's don't get paid that great), and it works for the most part.
That said, quality gear has never seemed to me as anything other than worth the extra expenditure.  Remember, once you put loaded magazines in those pouches you've quadrupled their value at least.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if it can be called airsoft per se, but it's basically a knock off of the "main" manufacturers' products.

Go cheap and replace or get good stuff for the long haul.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Its nothing more than  cheap rip offs of other manufacturers stuff. they can copy designs (like TAD jackets and etc) but they can't replicate the quality, especially at the prices that their gear costs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
yes or no answers aside...their stuff just does not hold up to hard use.  That said if you're going to just put something together to use it for a few carbine classes a year or a lifetimes or something like that then it'll probably work for you.  But for me, I'll stick with the more expensive gear for my line of work.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its nothing more than  cheap rip offs of other manufacturers stuff. they can copy designs (like TAD jackets and etc) but they can't replicate the quality, especially at the prices that their gear costs.

Some of the over priced TAD stuff is made in China too. AZHONKY
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Condor gear is good gear for range use, for attending courses with, and decent for short term break down in ROL.

Some of Condor's newer gear is even produced in the United States of America not all of it is from China.

The only real gripes I have about it is that I don't believe they are using actual Condura Nylon and the plastic buckles they use aren't advertised as IR resistant and seem pretty low par compared to some of the other more expensive alternatives. Plastic buckles can actually show up pretty good under IR so and although their version of Condura seems pretty good I'd be hesistant to use it against any serious enemy.  

Let's be honest though. 90% of the folks here don't purchase gear to go to war with and the likelyhood of a U.S. invasion is pretty slim.  So Condor is pretty good for getting you through what you need it to do.  Longevity might be an issue, but that's the case every time you purchase a less expensive item. The nice thing is that you can get the stuff in Multicam and it should give you a pretty decent service life for normal use.  Most civis and LEO here would be fine with it.

Don't let the Gear Queens convice you that everything you have must be top of the line Crye Precision, Eagle, and so forth.  For some folks that's just overkill and you'd be better spreading your money out and being well rounded. If you're spending tons of money on gear at the cost of being able to afford that carbine course you were thinking about or that real nice upgrade to your rifle than you're not thinking smart.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the feedback~
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Is Condor gear really airsoft?

No, it's not that good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends, i use some of their stuff seriously(read professionally) and it did fine
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm starting to get the feeling that Condor is more or less like Del-Ton or something along those lines for AR parts; people who want me to go Eagle, etc are same as those who tell me I have to get a Nightforce Scope on a Larue mount?
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm starting to get the feeling that Condor is more or less like Del-Ton or something along those lines for AR parts; people who want me to go Eagle, etc are same as those who tell me I have to get a Nightforce Scope on a Larue mount?

Pretty much, as you see you have .mil guys here who said they have used it hard and it working and you have people who just say "It's junk" and post nothing else constructive or could be construed as helpful.

If you are going to be doing light stuff I see no reason it would not work, I have a Galls premade tac vest, I know I will probably never use it more than 2 times a year if that, So I have no need for high dollar gear that is gonna sit, Now if I was going to Iraq or someplace where I'm patrolling and getting shot at etc, I would pay the extra that way I don't need to buy and replace.

Dont Worry I know how you feel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a vendor at a gun show in Texarkana, Ark about a year back and I had a lot of Condor gear on my table. At this show a LEO with the State Patrol who happened to be on there S.W.A.T. team and help put together there S.W.A.T. round up in Little Rock, Ark was browsing my table. He and a few other LEO liked the Condor line so much they invited us to be a vendor at there S.W.A.T. round up. At the same convention/ round up was 5.11, Blackwawk and a few others.

Price and quality. That is why it was even a consideration. Are there better manufactuers out there yes. But they have attached a price tag to it.

I do have to say one of the downsides of Condor is there lack of communication with vendors when they are out of stock or when they are restocked.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Look, bottom line is Condor is average quality gear, nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible either.  I think unless you are kicking down mud hut doors in the Stan, or patrolling the streets at night, Condor is going to be perfectly acceptable for what you need.  I have a bunch of their gear from plate carriers to packs and everything has held up fine, and the prices are half of some of the better shit out there.  I have an Eagle MOLLE pack and to be honest, my Condor pack is close in quality.  I'll get flamed for that but oh well.  I paid $50 for the Condor pack and almost $190 for the Eagle pack.  It's a no brainer sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had about six of their M4 mag shingles for a few years now. They see some use. Not heavy use, but some.
They are really showing their age. I have to periodically hit the edges with a lighter because they fray badly.
The sizing is pretty inconsistent; some of them swallow up AK mags, some are tight my AR mags.

So is Condor junk? hrm... I've definitely gotten $6 worth out of each of them for my non-mil, non-LEO usage.
But in comparison, I've had a Tactical Tailor multi-purpose pouch longer than the Condor stuff (it's in woodland camo it's so old!), and it shows none of the fraying and wear the mag shingles do. The TT MAV all these pouches ride on is none worse for wear as well.

You're not really saving much in the long run. In some cases you're getting more for less
Case in point... $90 Condor Molle assault vest
$85 Eagle LE active shooter chest rig

With all the quality gear out there, I really wonder why Police Departments compromise so badly. I was surprised to read in this thread that Condor stuff is NTOA recommended. Why bother with a $40 condor vest, and $60 in various pouches when an Eagle chest rig can be had for $80? It's just bad economy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Condor gear is good gear for range use, for attending courses with, and decent for short term break down in ROL.

Some of Condor's newer gear is even produced in the United States of America not all of it is from China.

The only real gripes I have about it is that I don't believe they are using actual Condura Nylon and the plastic buckles they use aren't advertised as IR resistant and seem pretty low par compared to some of the other more expensive alternatives. Plastic buckles can actually show up pretty good under IR so and although their version of Condura seems pretty good I'd be hesistant to use it against any serious enemy.  

Let's be honest though. 90% of the folks here don't purchase gear to go to war with and the likelyhood of a U.S. invasion is pretty slim.  So Condor is pretty good for getting you through what you need it to do.  Longevity might be an issue, but that's the case every time you purchase a less expensive item. The nice thing is that you can get the stuff in Multicam and it should give you a pretty decent service life for normal use.  Most civis and LEO here would be fine with it.

Don't let the Gear Queens convice you that everything you have must be top of the line Crye Precision, Eagle, and so forth.  For some folks that's just overkill and you'd be better spreading your money out and being well rounded. If you're spending tons of money on gear at the cost of being able to afford that carbine course you were thinking about or that real nice upgrade to your rifle than you're not thinking smart.

+1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
There are many ways to cut corners in production and still use 1000D nylon or, even, Cordura.

It's sole redeeming feature is price.  But, FOR ME, I'd rather spend a bit more and get something that will last 5x as long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
For the average joe that keeps a vest sitting in the closet on a hanger some 350~ish day out of the year condor will be fine.  Unless your active military and using it 12 hours a day seven days a week or a full time swat officer then go for it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's budget chinese made stuff that replicates well designed gear. <snip>

+1

Shorty after I bought one of the surplus FLC's like what that SG and C-T-D had, I picked up a Condor dump pouch so that I could see if I really needed one:

Condor Utility Roll-up Pouch

I had a pretty good idea that they copied the design from someone; it just took some time to find the "original":

Modular Roll-up Multi-purpose Pouch

My personal experience with Condor has been somewhat lackluster.  I bought one of their modular pistol holsters.  On the positive side, it is adjustable enough to fit both a Sig P225 and a Beretta 92FS.  On the negative side, it had a tendency of unsnapping and dropping to the ground the first (and only) time I used it.  To be fair, the other two items (the dump pouch and a pistol magazine pouch) have snaps that are more positive than the ones on the holster.  Also, I was using the holster on an earlier ALICE LBV instead of something with MOLLE loops.  But based on that episode, I have been replacing the few Condor items that I have with better quality items as time and money permits.

IMHO, Condor exists somewhere in that grey area between "airsoft" gear and "professional" gear, You can go to an airsoft store on one side of my hometown and buy Condor stuff.  On the other side of the town, it is sold in a police-supply store.

James
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I won't buy it because the slight cost savings isn't worth it to me when I see the inferior construction, materials, and overall durability. I have no doubt they would hold up to occasional use, but the overall quality isn't there. Besides that, the price difference is only marginal and with good gear you support American businesses and American jobs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Really???? because all of the accurately priced  TAD stuff that I have is all made in America. Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I wont buy condor. I'd rather save up and buy the stuff that is quality made and will not fail.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the over priced TAD stuff is made in China too. AZHONKY

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Im a LEO on a budget and have purchased multiple Condor pieces for an active shooter type kit.  I also have my soft body armor in their quick detach vest for search warrant days.  My buddy uses their drag bag as his rifle case for the sniper team.  To be honest they are not wartime ready gear but like said before if you are not using the gear in a full time role Condor is fine and will last many years.  Plus you can spend the rest of the money you saved on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#23]
We have a few guys in our Dept. that use Condor gear and like it. Granted, the amount it gets used is nowhere near combat troops and / or high speed types. We are more low speed high drag (LEOs) so the gear lasts longer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I have found from personal experience that most law enforcement have to buy there own gear. And there are a lot of you on here so you can attest to this. The smaller the department , the less of a budget. So the guy that is out there patrolling has to be able to buy groceries and there gear.

Talking to the wife about buying a $300.00 vest set up can become quiet uncomfortable. Im just saying :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm the occasional user, not a door-kicker and find the quality for the price a good thing. It's allowed me to round out my emergency kits without breaking the bank and equip the whole family. Sometimes it is hit or miss so you need to thoroughly check each one as you ad it to make ure that it will fit the bill when you need it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I missed your post originally Silent but you hit it on the head.  The gear queens on here will swear you must run Crye or Eagle on everything you do.  For me, I don't need a $400 jacket here in Florida so a Condor fleece works fine for me.  As I'm definately a patriot and will buy American every time I can, that being said, my "American made" Eagle MOLLE pack was made in the Dominican Republic.  Just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Before i was into real firearms, I was an airsoft geek, and all the gear people had in airsoft was Condor.
When i dropped airsoft and got into real stuff, and started training I couldn't believe people in the real steal
world bought condor. I was so confused.

I'll never go back to fake, cheap, ripped off gear,  the real stuff is faaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr superior (and it should be for the cost).
Even when I go out and play a few games with friends in the airsoft world, all my gear I have is the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I've used mainly GI gear since I've been in and used maybe a few different pouches from other manufacturers. I've survived 7 years using 95% GI gear. The first time I've touched TT stuff was my order last month. I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen any catastrophic failures with USGI pouches. Yeah, stuff gets rubbed raw and fades, the velcro might get all nasty or the snaps might not snap anymore, but I've never seen someone shove a mag in a pouch and see a giant explosion of nylon and buckles. While I think that the explosion of replica gear has made it harder to determine real gear or what is reliable, I think it's helped expand the selection for everyone. I'm perfectly okay with Condor gear: I have 7-8 random pouches from them and they all seem to be perfectly fine, no defects or messed up seams. The Tactical Tailor gear I just got si the same: great construction, no defects or anything.

I don't foresee the Condor pouches suddenly wearing out on me in the middle of no where. Maybe if I've been humping around for six months, hiding in swamps, doing my best Red Dawn impression, maybe it would be a concern that they would get ratty enough to fall apart. But I think that any brand of equipment would do that. It's not like big name vendors use some sort of super fabric that more "common" vendors don't have access to. If it's built correctly and is made out of quality materials, I see no reason to spend $40 on a pouch when I can get the same thing for $15.

When it comes to more important things like a plate carrier, vest, etc., then I'm going to spend top dollar on that. It's going to be protecting my life and/or carrying all my gear. If a pouch fails, I can just spend $20 and buy another or just shove whatever it was holding in my pocket. If my vest falls apart.. well, I'm shiat out of luck.

This is exactly why I don't shop at fad places like Abercrombie and Fitch: if I wanted jeans that were faded and had holes in them, I'd buy a pair of $20 Levis and do it myself, not pay $20 for the jeans and $80 for the name.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess my biggest question revolves around this:

"If it fails, I'll just buy a new one.  I mean, it's for SHTF, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that will sit in a closet."

I understand about not spending money. Believe me.

But the short-sighted and, frankly, ironic nature of the statement amuses me to no end.

You want to spend practically no money on questionable quality gear that may or may not fail during the time in your existence that the ability to "just buy a new one" will be limited (at best) or non-existent (most likely)...gear that your life will depend on....and you go marginal airsoft quality?

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't have a problem with it from a quality stand point, I am sure it would do its job and not fail under 99.99% of conditions.

My main problem is that the company rips off other companies' designs and gets away with it by making their product a) overseas b) just different enough to get away with.

I have the same problem with CAA, UTG, NcStar, etc on the firearms end of the business.

I find it in poor taste to support a company that actually copies a legitimate company's hard work and design. These rip-off companies are also part of the reason why quality brands must charge so much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think that everyone makes every purchase based on whether or not they'll need it for SHTF. I have a Condor vest and mag pouches because I hate having to dig through a bag or stuff mags in my pocket at the range. I do have some top notch stuff but only buy it used for a good price. If those manufacturer's priced their products like they were nylon and thread, not gold, I'd be more inclined to purchase them. Not everyone is living FOR SHTF or makes a living as an operator.

What to hear a greater heresy??? I go shooting to have fun sometimes and not to train for TEOTWAWKI

I'll get banned for that
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't think that everyone makes every purchase based on whether or not they'll need it for SHTF. I have a Condor vest and mag pouches because I hate having to dig through a bag or stuff mags in my pocket at the range. I do have some top notch stuff but only buy it used for a good price. If those manufacturer's priced their products like they were nylon and thread, not gold, I'd be more inclined to purchase them. Not everyone is living FOR SHTF or makes a living as an operator.

What to hear a greater heresy??? I go shooting to have fun sometimes and not to train for TEOTWAWKI

I'll get banned for that

O No you di int
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#39]
My gear has got to be made in the States, I save my coin and buy once, I will never buy Chinese shit....thats just me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'll get banned for that

Dude you better get serious or the zombies are so going to get you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got some of their pouches and I'll pass on buying any more. I bought the same pouches op did and one set had the molle straps break just putting them on and the other the stitching is starting to come apart. That is without seeing any use at all.

If your stuff works for you, great.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Half of my platoon, including myself use Condor plate carriers to replace our issued POS plate carriers. They hold up just fine to the rigors of daily dismounted patrolling in Afghanistan. I did however buy the multicam version made with actual Crye certified cordura. I used to believe way too much of the gear queer nonsense I read on hear about only TAG and TT, HSGI being the only option. Well as has been said, E-4's don't make all that much and sometimes we compromise. We had one guy buy one, used it a bit at MOB and then over here and it just worked. I checked all his seams and stitching and it was just fine, so after a couple months, I pulled the trigger on one, and than others followed. It's extremely comfortable and mine holds a SAW loadout just fine, something that the issued plate carrier and at times an IOTV just can't do without falling apart. Flame away
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Half of my platoon, including myself use Condor plate carriers to replace our issued POS plate carriers. They hold up just fine to the rigors of daily dismounted patrolling in Afghanistan. I did however buy the multicam version made with actual Crye certified cordura. I used to believe way too much of the gear queer nonsense I read on hear about only TAG and TT, HSGI being the only option. Well as has been said, E-4's don't make all that much and sometimes we compromise. We had one guy buy one, used it a bit at MOB and then over here and it just worked. I checked all his seams and stitching and it was just fine, so after a couple months, I pulled the trigger on one, and than others followed. It's extremely comfortable and mine holds a SAW loadout just fine, something that the issued plate carrier and at times an IOTV just can't do without falling apart. Flame away

No flaming from me, I totally agree.  I was going to drop some coin on the Condor multicam but I opted for the Coyote instead.  Post some pics of the rigs in action if you can!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

She reached the decision that non-life-safety type stuff (accessory pouches) could be imported, but that life safety stuff - vest, armor carrier and mag pouches - would be made from a reputable domestic producer. Period, end of sentence.

I believe this ends up being the decision many people make.

If my life may rely on this peice of equipment, I am buying top tier.

If it is simply an addition, I don't have to go balls out.

Example: I am going to buy a high quality firearm and use high quality mags and high quality optics if it is going to be used in defense of my life.

I don't need the bag I put it in when I travel, or the mag carriers I strap on that bag to cost me the same as the rifle. I will buy cheaper on those and be more then happy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got the Condor 3-Day Assault Pack (link) which is a copy of the Camelback BFM (link). At the time it was the best I could afford. I haven't put it to any hard use, so it's fine for now.  The Camelback isn't made in the US either, if I recall from the tag.

One thing I like about this pack is the two side pockets are perfectly sized for the military plastic canteen.

GL
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Eagle and a Assault systems Rifle case that are both over 20 years old.. I blew a zipper two years ago and Assault systems replaced it .

Let me know when your Condor shit hits the 20 yr mark and if there still around in 20 years to fix it.....free of charge......
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#48]
The Lifetime Warranty is nice, but honestly some of the Condor stuff you could buy three or four times over before you approached the price of something from a "Tier 1" manufacturer.

Case in point the Blackhawk STRIKE Cutaway Plate Carrier retails at about $400. I can get a Condor Quick Release Plate Carrier for around $100.

Both are made overseas. One costs me 1/4 as much as the other. When you're buying your own gear out of your own pocket that's pretty tempting. Especially when you want to get that new magnifier optic or purchase another 1,000 rounds of ammunition.  Frankly there is a reason that normal infantry aren't running the same equipment as SOCOM guys and that's because they've got the best the gov could issue them without going nuts on cost.  Look at other nations and they have to make those same economic choices as well for their troops. It's all about being as well rounded as you can be with the budget you've got.

I just think it's sad when you've got guys that will either run up debt on gear or have to postpone doing other important things to purchase insanely expensive stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just think it's sad when you've got guys that will either run up debt on gear or have to postpone doing other important things to purchase insanely expensive stuff.  

Why is it sad?  Is this not a conscious decision on their part?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top