Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2010 2:49:11 PM EDT
Alright guys, I am looking the following items.

For a plate carrier, I am looking at the Paraclete SOHPC seen here

For plates I am looking at these or the 10x12 set for 480 seen here if you scroll down just a tick.  The ones listed as "shooter cut".

The Paraclete SOHPC from OP TAC supposedly comes with IIIa armor built into the cummerbund, and it also comes with these plate backers/inserts.  

Now, I have a few questions.  

1- Does the built in armor in the cummerbund of the SOHPC extend around enough that it would give me 360 degrees of IIIa protection around the midsection?  
2- Which plates of the above two do you recommend?  They're within about 100 dollars of eachtoher, so I'd rather have the better quality plate.  Multi-hit capable would be preferred.
3- How close are the above plates to "swimmer cut"?  I shoot damn near perfectly squared off AKA the magpul style, so I want plates that work with me instead of hindering my ability to shoot.

I also figured I would get a nice low-profile plate carrier for running "concealed" or to use with a chest rig, and I could use the plate backers/plates, but obviously I wouldn't have the side protection.  Anyone have any hints on what carriers I should look at that would work well under a light jacket, or with a chest rig over them?

Is there anything else I should be considering?  The total of the items above will run me about 1k in price.  I want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious or doing something I shouldn't be.  I've done as much looking as I could and have reached the point where I need to open dialogue with those who have actually run these items.

Thanks as always.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to assume you're the same person who emailed me about the first plates you link to, and since the link is to my store, I am copying the message here for others to see, too.

By definition, plates that meet the Level III NIJ spec are multi-hit (6 rounds of 7.62x51).  The Spec for Level IV is 1 round of .30-06 AP.  These plates are Level III OR Level IV, depending on what hits them.  It is not rated for multiple hits by .30-06 AP, even though it’s possible it might take it.  No Level IV plate really is, since the spec doesn’t test for multi-hit.  It only has to pass for the one round to be considered Level IV, even though some companies may test for multi-hit Level IV success..    These plates also require the backing of a Level IIIA vest.

I don’t know the exact top measurement, but it’s the standard “operator” cut, and will fit into the more common plate carriers like the Eagle PC, etc.

Price is per-plate.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am going to assume you're the same person who emailed me about the first plates you link to, and since the link is to my store, I am copying the message here for others to see, too.

By definition, plates that meet the Level III NIJ spec are multi-hit (6 rounds of 7.62x51).  The Spec for Level IV is 1 round of .30-06 AP.  These plates are Level III OR Level IV, depending on what hits them.  It is not rated for multiple hits by .30-06 AP, even though it’s possible it might take it.  No Level IV plate really is, since the spec doesn’t test for multi-hit.  It only has to pass for the one round to be considered Level IV, even though some companies may test for multi-hit Level IV success..    These plates also require the backing of a Level IIIA vest.

I don’t know the exact top measurement, but it’s the standard “operator” cut, and will fit into the more common plate carriers like the Eagle PC, etc.

Price is per-plate.

Excellent, thanks for the input.  Definitely gives me a better understanding of the ratings.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, looks like the SOHPC from optac doesn't come with the soft armor 10x12 plate backers like I thought....kinda confusing ad if you ask me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top