Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 12:05:14 PM EDT
so is this a bad idea? im talking about drilling the 3 holes for the ops core VAS shroud or norotos nvg mounts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It's doable, but use a quality drill and bit at low speed, in and out, a little at a time - going too fast can separate the layers of kevlar and compromise a large area of your helmet.  Put the mount on where you want it and mark the holes with a sharpie.

I drilled my MICH for a single point mount years ago and it's fine, though I must admit I haven't been shot in the forehead to prove it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Common sense dictates drilling holes in something that is to protect you from being shot is not a god idea, but if you really need to, be slow and careful. I drilled a small one in the lower rear of my mich for a home made counterweight for my nvgs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#5]
according to MSA, the holes drilled arent the issue, its the final epoxy sealer that is in those holes between the layers that is the deal-breaker. New holes allow moisture in and over time will degrade the kevlar. They wont even take helmets to redrill at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Common sense dictates drilling holes in something that is to protect you from being shot is not a god idea, but if you really need to, be slow and careful. I drilled a small one in the lower rear of my mich for a home made counterweight for my nvgs.

Someone has to drill holes for NOD mounts and chin straps.  I suspect it is done at the factory that makes helmets fairly often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top