Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 8:37:07 AM EDT
So I have a chance to get a pair of ceramic plates. I have been looking at the different options for plate carriers and I am like .

I need some ideas as to what is the best setup to use. I have a Blackhawk tac vest that I really like. It is very comfortable over my level IIIa soft armor, but neither has rifle plate pockets.

Should I get a concealable type plate carrier that I can wear under my tac vest? I have also seen some that will accept my soft armor and plates.

Should I get a molle plate carrier and add mag pouches, etc. and forget the tac vest.

Plate carrier with soft armor? With cumber bun?

What's the best setup for protection without being to heavy, bulky or hot?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Will this be used for LE or Civvy only? What will the capability of the plates be and what do you plan on using the plates for? AS scenarios/entries or SHTF/Home security? Mission drives the gear so knowing your intended uses is key to selecting wht you need.

It really will be dependent on what you plan on using it all for. Will you need to consider discrete wear of the plates in any way? Most LE functions, the answer is no. If you don't need to look at hiding plates under a shirt or something, don't worry about a concealable plate carrier. It's going to be too much a PITA to put on concealable armor, put on  plate carrier, then put on the Blackhawk Tac Vest. Too many layers to worry about.

Personally, I'd consider looking along the lines of something like the Mayflower Assault Carrier and see if it fits your needs. I've been doing research into it for a similar need for my dept. Keep the Tacvest for something light where rifle threats are known to not be present or training.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Will this be used for LE or Civvy only? What will the capability of the plates be and what do you plan on using the plates for? AS scenarios/entries or SHTF/Home security? Mission drives the gear so knowing your intended uses is key to selecting wht you need.

It really will be dependent on what you plan on using it all for. Will you need to consider discrete wear of the plates in any way? Most LE functions, the answer is no. If you don't need to look at hiding plates under a shirt or something, don't worry about a concealable plate carrier. It's going to be too much a PITA to put on concealable armor, put on  plate carrier, then put on the Blackhawk Tac Vest. Too many layers to worry about.

Personally, I'd consider looking along the lines of something like the Mayflower Assault Carrier and see if it fits your needs. I've been doing research into it for a similar need for my dept. Keep the Tacvest for something light where rifle threats are known to not be present or training.

It will be used for Civvy use. SHTF / Home security use. I would like something seperate from my tac vest that I could throw on without all the mags and extras, but I don't want a setup that ends up being to bulky. I'll look at the Mayflower. Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top