Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 4:58:33 AM EDT
After reading and enjoying this site for a while about all of the different gear, weapons and how many magazines one might need in a SHTF situation I'd like to hear the different thoughts and predictions on what type of situaions might come to life in the future.  Many of our members are active Military, SWAT or Patrol Officers, and many of them are every day citizens trying to remain prepared for the worst.  As an active Law Enf. Officer some of the situations that come to my mind are the following.

1) Natural disaster such as Hurricane Katrina that leaves the majority of a popualation without homes, food or any means of sustainment causing desperate people to take what they want from those who are weaker by force.  We saw this in New Orleans with the armed thugs roaming the city.  In something like this, one may find them selves fending off multiple armed attackers at their home or neighborhoods.

2) Political turmoil or mass roitscaused by the ever growing problems across our country such as unemployment, discension with our government or race issues such as the problems LA experienced during the 1990's.

3) Food or water shortages spurred by various reasons such as disease, pollution or other reasons.

4) Worst case for many of us,,, a Government revolution in which our ways of life change for the worst by diminishing freedoms such as gun ownership, taking away various freedoms which result in our country turning into a dictatorship.

Most of these situations will dictate what one may needWhat other situations may come to life?????

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Zombies!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You will get many more answers, and even find this very question, in the Outdoors forum.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Good point on the former post.  Perhaps a MOD can move it there if needed.  But I found it fitting in the Tactical Gear section to see what tactical gear some of us might have for these scenarios.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After reading and enjoying this site for a while about all of the different gear, weapons and how many magazines one might need in a SHTF situation I'd like to hear the different thoughts and predictions on what type of situaions might come to life in the future.  Many of our members are active Military, SWAT or Patrol Officers, and many of them are every day citizens trying to remain prepared for the worst.  As an active Law Enf. Officer some of the situations that come to my mind are the following.

1) Natural disaster such as Hurricane Katrina that leaves the majority of a popualation without homes, food or any means of sustainment causing desperate people to take what they want from those who are weaker by force.  We saw this in New Orleans with the armed thugs roaming the city.  In something like this, one may find them selves fending off multiple armed attackers at their home or neighborhoods.

2) Political turmoil or mass roitscaused by the ever growing problems across our country such as unemployment, discension with our government or race issues such as the problems LA experienced during the 1990's.

3) Food or water shortages spurred by various reasons such as disease, pollution or other reasons.

4) Worst case for many of us,,, a Government revolution in which our ways of life change for the worst by diminishing freedoms such as gun ownership, taking away various freedoms which result in our country turning into a dictatorship.

Most of these situations will dictate what one may needWhat other situations may come to life?????

Im going with option 5)All of the above plus zombies

What is an apocalypse without flesh-eating undead.

In all seriousness though I think number two(how ironic) will be the first with the others following later sans zombies.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Zombies.  I joined the Marine Corps to prepare for the zombies.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#6]
SHTF scenarios don't always include something that requires you to activate your caches, dig up your HAM radio, and start putting up electroshock fences for the zombies and sheeple...

1) Flashflood which isoates your neighborhood from power, resupply, or evacuation
2) Day at the beach where construction or other unforeseen events destroy the only way back to the mainland.
3) Extremely high gas prices (ala 2007-2008) when the convience stores started getting robbed or threatened
4) Playing tourist...anywhere
5) Night out with your lady (or guy) friend who turns up to be married... or seperated... Or just a night out with them and some thug wants to jack your car.

I agree that this should be moved to the Survival Gear section but I'll play for now:
- BOB/Assualt Pack
- Magazines & pouches for commonly used ammo
- Water purificationa and filtration kits (see the 2006 earthquake in Hawaii, Hurricane Katrina, etc..)
- Rain gear (including poncho)
- Sleeping bag
- A plan to kill everyone if being nice and cordial don't get you what you need.
- Know the difference between wants and needs. Plan for the needs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
1) Natural Disaster
2) Plague - mas illness
3) Man made disaster
4) Government/Civilian "Violent lunacy"
5) Zombies/Vampires/Wolf Folks/Space aliens/The insects from Star ship trooper movies.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I think middle America is going to be invaded by Russian and Cuban paratroopers.  I've been preparing for this fantasy since 1984.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with your various situations as being likely.  The one thing that sticks out to me is that they are all BUG IN situations.  Something to think about.  BUG IN and plan your gear accordingly.  Maybe some gear for "missions" to get supplies, or to recon but mostly BUG IN seems to be the likely situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top