Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 10:23:28 AM EDT
I allready have a eagle/skd chest rig and was thinking about getting a vest or plate carrier.My initial thought was a plate carrier, but I'm just a Civi,so it's primarary use would be for SHTF.If I did get one, how much and what kind of plates do you guys use?As far as the vest I thought it might be handy to have more realestate for pouches I was looking at the Camelbak Delta 5, I found one for 85.00 bucks..Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You really need to do a search, this question has been posted way too many times.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats not what he asked... First off since your a civi, you really do not need a plate carrier. At least not something like what the military uses. You'd be fine using something like the 5.11 plate carrier since it's pretty small and not as bulky as some other ones. The 5.11 carriers has molle loops all over it for gear attachment so it has planty of real estate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thats not what he asked... First off since your a civi, you really do not need a plate carrier. At least not something like what the military uses. You'd be fine using something like the 5.11 plate carrier since it's pretty small and not as bulky as some other ones. The 5.11 carriers has molle loops all over it for gear attachment so it has planty of real estate.[/quot

Thanks.....Is it even possible for civi's to get plates and if so,how much$$$.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats not what he asked...
First off since your a civi, you really do not need a plate carrier. At least not something like what the military uses. You'd be fine using something like the 5.11 plate carrier since it's pretty small and not as bulky as some other ones. The 5.11 carriers has molle loops all over it for gear attachment so it has planty of real estate.

With that logic, why does a civi need an AR-15.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not what he asked...
First off since your a civi, you really do not need a plate carrier. At least not something like what the military uses. You'd be fine using something like the 5.11 plate carrier since it's pretty small and not as bulky as some other ones. The 5.11 carriers has molle loops all over it for gear attachment so it has planty of real estate.[/quot

Thanks.....Is it even possible for civi's to get plates and if so,how much$$$.

You can get plates from:

http://www.expertguns.com/shop/catalog/

http://www.bulletproofme.com/

EGI is a site partner.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
This is exactly what he asked.  He wanted to know if he should get a plate carrier or a vest for "real estate".  He stated he was a civvie and would not need much.  Again, my statement stands, this has been posted way to many times.

Quoted:
Thats not what he asked... First off since your a civi, you really do not need a plate carrier. At least not something like what the military uses. You'd be fine using something like the 5.11 plate carrier since it's pretty small and not as bulky as some other ones. The 5.11 carriers has molle loops all over it for gear attachment so it has planty of real estate.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried a search, and did not come up with anything that pertained to my question!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Negative cowboy. He didn't ask for you to tell him to search. This is a forum where people post questions and expect actual answers, not wasted posts from people who don't want to answer the question.

And about the not needing a plate carrier for a civilian thing. I never said he shouldn't get one. The 5.11 piece IS a plate carrier, just not a bulky one that you would want in a combat zone, with slots for side sapi's and so on. That carrier I mentioned is just one example. The comment about why civilian need AR15's is also irrelevant considering there are multiple uses for one, unlike a plate carrier. C'mon guys quit being ignorant
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, some people just gotta be a, MR. Grumpy Gills
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
When someone asks the same question without first seeking out his own answer to his question, this is ignorance.  Not me simply telling him to search for a question that has been answered time and time again.  He did not receive an answer, because his question has been answered, by someone else, five different times, in this same forum.  Scroll through a couple of pages and you will see what I am talking about.

Quoted:
Negative cowboy. He didn't ask for you to tell him to search. This is a forum where people post questions and expect actual answers, not wasted posts from people who don't want to answer the question.

And about the not needing a plate carrier for a civilian thing. I never said he shouldn't get one. The 5.11 piece IS a plate carrier, just not a bulky one that you would want in a combat zone, with slots for side sapi's and so on. That carrier I mentioned is just one example. The comment about why civilian need AR15's is also irrelevant considering there are multiple uses for one, unlike a plate carrier. C'mon guys quit being ignorant

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
if you have a chest rig already I would make sure you have fleshed out the rest of your gear before getting a plate carrier.  Remember this is for a shtf situation not a fashion show.  As a fellow civilian I think a full set of gear is better then several of the same parts in different configs and colors.  Just my $.02, and I agree about the grumpy thing there should not be a my tatical knowledge penis is bigger than yours post fest.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
If you already have a chest rig that works for you and is setup how you want it to, why not go with a low-vis carrier like the Eagle LVAC or TAG Havoc. There are a few others out there as well. Doing it this way will set you up for a total armor package at a reasonable price. I already have a plate carrier and a chest rig I really like. For me, instead of buying a CIRAS or RAV, I'm going to save the money and get a low-vis carrier for a little more versatility.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When someone asks the same question without first seeking out his own answer to his question, this is ignorance.  Not me simply telling him to search for a question that has been answered time and time again.  He did not receive an answer, because his question has been answered, by someone else, five different times, in this same forum.  Scroll through a couple of pages and you will see what I am talking about.

Quoted:

And if you have a problem with that, than don't come into this forum. See then you wouldn't have to worry about these things. People on here are so quick to get pissy when someone deosn't agree with what they say...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if you have a problem with that, than don't come into this forum. See then you wouldn't have to worry about these things. People on here are so quick to get pissy when someone deosn't agree with what they say...

I have to agree somewhat with PreMDMatt - this question comes up a lot on this board. There is an 18 page thread dealing with civies getting armor plates and at least 5 seperate threads in the first 6 pages. There is also the gear pron thread - just by looking there, you can get a pretty good idea of what others here are using. Without getting into a pissing match about whether the question was relevant or not, he is basically asking us to choose his gear for him. It is not a bad thing to seek advice but more specifics would be needed. What type of threats do you expect to encounter? What is your AO? What is your budget? What is your expected MEE? This is a technical forum, without specifics - expect to get these type of answers.

Skiddy
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]
plate carrier, diamond back tactical has them on sale.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
If you already have a chest rig, you'd get the most versatility out of fixing your straps with a few fingers worth of length so you can open it up and wear it over armor. That way, you have one rig that you can use with or without armor. A PC gets pretty floppy with pouches on it without plates.

IMO, you'd be best served getting yourself a concealable IIIa, with or without plate pockets. This lets you conceal the armor if the situation doesn't warrant wearing an OTV or chest rig.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top