Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2009 3:44:00 PM EDT
I've been told you must wear a riggers belt through belt loops or it will rip gf your body if you need to use it for what it is intended.

But be seen blast/rigger belt combos that clearly are on the outside of the loops.

So does it not matter then?  Can regular riggers belt
be used on the outside of the belt loops like a duty belt, yet still be safely used or relied upon as a riggers?
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you hit the wrong forum.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Agreed.

But before the thread gets moved...

I wear a rigger's belt every day-not for it's intended use, but because it does a good job holding up my pants. It's also rigid enough for pistol holsters and mag pouches in carbine classes. It drives my wife insane too...she hates the looks of the damn thing.

ETA: Come to think of it, I don't even know what it's supposed to be used for...

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear a riggers belt everyday as well with my utilities.  I always loop mine through, I dont really know why you wouldnt.  Like he said above, they are sturdy and can hold drop holsters, med kits and maganizes nicely without folding over.  But to answer your question, I would suggest looping it through the belt loops.  I wouldnt trust it to hold if it was just around the outside of the pants, then it would slip up around your abdomen and then to your chest if it was ever needed to be used for any type of lift.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
But before the thread gets moved...
I wear a rigger's belt every day-not for it's intended use, but because it does a good job holding up my pants. It's also rigid enough for pistol holsters and mag pouches in carbine classes. It drives my wife insane too...she hates the looks of the damn thing.
ETA: Come to think of it, I don't even know what it's supposed to be used for...

Back eons ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I smashed C-130 loads for a living, the original riggers belt was worn by riggers because it was a stock item used in the rigging of airdrop loads, a 60" 5000 lb test strap with a steel buckle sewn on one end.  Not intended to be a belt, but worked as one.  The current belts are a lighter weight version of the same thing - lighter nylon, plastic buckle.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been told you must wear a riggers belt through belt loops or it will rip gf your body if you need to use it for what it is intended.

But be seen blast/rigger belt combos that clearly are on the outside of the loops.

be used on the outside of the belt loops like a duty belt, yet still be safely used or relied upon as a riggers?

I may be wrong but - Rigger's Belt seems to be used as a generic term for any high tensile strength belt that has the ability to be attached to a carabiner. All of the "Rigger's Belts" I have ever worn (actually I'm wearing one right now) have been designed for emergency rapelling or extraction. I have trained with this emergency egress technique and I can tell you this - when you put all of your weight on the belt, it doesn't matter at all if it is through the loops or not. Having said that, I would highly recommend putting it through the loops, especially if you are hanging or attaching anything on the belt ie. holsters, sub loads, etc.

Skiddy

EDIT: If you do try to use it for emergency rapell, make sure you have enough webbing through the buckle, you double it back and it is tight. Any of these done incorrectly can really hurt you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I like riggers belts because they can be rolled up and used as an impact weapon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The current "riggers' belts aren't the same as they were in the past.  The issued Army belts are what we used to call riggers belts.  The ones that people are now calling riggers belts were called something like instructor belts, or "emergency rappel belts," but not rigger's belts.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Just for my own information, but what forum would this question go in ? I use a riggers belt every day, mostly as just a belt to hold my pants up , but I've always thought of it as a piece of gear. If I just wanted a belt I got lots of them but they can't function the same way a riggers belt can.
Thats why I think of a riggers belt as gear.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be wrong but - Rigger's Belt seems to be used as a generic term for any high tensile strength belt that has the ability to be attached to a carabiner. All of the "Rigger's Belts" I have ever worn (actually I'm wearing one right now) have been designed for emergency rapelling or extraction. I have trained with this emergency egress technique and I can tell you this - when you put all of your weight on the belt, it doesn't matter at all if it is through the loops or not. Having said that, I would highly recommend putting it through the loops, especially if you are hanging or attaching anything on the belt ie. holsters, sub loads, etc.

Skiddy

EDIT: If you do try to use it for emergency rapell, make sure you have enough webbing through the buckle, you double it back and it is tight. Any of these done incorrectly can really hurt you.

As another who has used a "rigger's belt" - one that was rated for load as an emergency rappel/abseil device - in an emergency egress  training scenario, I concur with everything Skiddy says.

IF of necessity, you must put your full body weight (plus the shock load coming out of the window or over a roof parapet) on the belt, expect the following:

1.  the worst wedgie you can imagine;
2.  a "frontal wedgie" that will have you singing soprano for a while;
3.  if you looped the belt through your belt loops, the stitching on the belt loops will fail, and the rigger's belt will slide up under your armpits ala an old "horsecollar" vertical rescue harness.

FYI, this was when my body weight was only 160 pounds.

Notwithstanding those consequences, I always run mine through the belt loops.  After all, it's to hold up my pants.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back eons ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I smashed C-130 loads for a living, the original riggers belt was worn by riggers because it was a stock item used in the rigging of airdrop loads, a 60" 5000 lb test strap with a steel buckle sewn on one end.  Not intended to be a belt, but worked as one.  The current belts are a lighter weight version of the same thing - lighter nylon, plastic buckle.

Plastic buckles?  What kind of air soft shit are they selling these days?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most I've seen still have metal hardware. But, Wilderness has one called the Frequent Flyer that uses delrin hardware.  I bought one because it's a sturdy belt, as others have mentioned, and I can wear it through metal detectors.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most I've seen still have metal hardware. But, Wilderness has one called the Frequent Flyer that uses delrin hardware.  I bought one because it's a sturdy belt, as others have mentioned, and I can wear it through metal detectors.
I use the Frequent Flyer as a daily wear belt and it works great but nobody calls it a riggers belt.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
As another who has used a "rigger's belt" - one that was rated for load as an emergency rappel/abseil device - in an emergency egress  training scenario, I concur with everything Skiddy says.

IF of necessity, you must put your full body weight (plus the shock load coming out of the window or over a roof parapet) on the belt, expect the following:

1.  the worst wedgie you can imagine;
2.  a "frontal wedgie" that will have you singing soprano for a while;
3.  if you looped the belt through your belt loops, the stitching on the belt loops will fail, and the rigger's belt will slide up under your armpits ala an old "horsecollar" vertical rescue harness.

FYI, this was when my body weight was only 160 pounds.

Notwithstanding those consequences, I always run mine through the belt loops.  After all, it's to hold up my pants.

So regardless whether you put them through your belt loops or not, it will break free of them?

So wearing this as a duty belt is really just the same as wearing it as a pants belt as far as the function of it is concerned?

It will be safe either way? (or hurt equally as much either way)

The only reason I would want to wear it as a duty belt vs through the loops is because if youre attaching a drop leg or some type of LBV platform, you can attach it all onto the belt and take it on & off as one exo-skeleton piece instead of having to take each part off every single time.

I have one made by Jones Tactical and has a cobra buckle on it.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Not really.  Don't think of a rigger belt as an emergency rappel device.  Think of it as a really good belt for supporting a holster that also has metal loops so you can tie yourself off to a safety line if needed.  Not a "run a rope through the loop so I can rapel down a cliff" but a "run a rope through the loop so I can safely get up to the edge of the cliff without the risk of falling over the edge."
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

On most of the riggers/instructors belts (such as the Wilderness), the excess webbing after the belt is buckled is not tucked into the belt loops but simply held in place by velcro.  Often this excess webbing will cover several belt loops in the front, giving the appearance that the belt is worn over the belt loops.  However, it is not - that's just the excess webbing held in place.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
You almost want the belt to go through the loops just to keep it in place.

But its just such a pain in the ass to take all of the items off and on every time.  

And then if you add some type of vest or LBV to the belt, it really becomes an exo-skeleton type deal.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's become an issue uniform item, for people who will never use it as anything but a belt...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wear a riggers belt everyday as well with my utilities.  I always loop mine through, I dont really know why you wouldnt.  Like he said above, they are sturdy and can hold drop holsters, med kits and maganizes nicely without folding over.  But to answer your question, I would suggest looping it through the belt loops.  I wouldnt trust it to hold if it was just around the outside of the pants, then it would slip up around your abdomen and then to your chest if it was ever needed to be used for any type of lift.

If you used it in an emergency I think it would break your belt looks and slip up under your arms anyway.

To the OP - I think it's just personal preference.  Some people use them as regular belts to hold their pants up, while others choose to use it like a duty belt.  Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Why isn't anyone calling for stronger belt loops?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top