Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2009 4:43:14 PM EDT
This pack will serve a variety of purposes, from BOB, to a hiking/camping pack. It will be hydration capable and will be used to carry all of the typical items you'd find in a BOB, including shelter. Therefore I am looking for something with about 2500 to 2800 cubic inches of total storage space and sufficiently comfortable to carry a maximum of 40 lbs worth of gear if necessary. I have looked at a number of options and this is my narrowed down list:

Eagle A-III Assault Pack Molle
$185.64

Condor 3 Day Assault Pack
$118.15

Tactical Tailor 3 Day Assault Pack
$145.00

Blackhawk Titan 2500ci Hydration Pack
$199.99

I really wanted a CamelBak BFM. But they are only available in crappy colors like black and ACU, which I have no use for in my environment. I want something in Multicam, coyote or khaki. So these are the four choices I have narrowed it down to. Out of them all, I am currently leaning toward the Eagle. I like the size of the Condor and the fact that it is modeled after the BFM, but I am not too enthused with the idea of buying Chinese knockoffs which may be on dubious quality. The Blackhawk looks like a very solid pack, but I don't see where it is any better value wise than the Eagle. And finally, there is the Tactical Tailor. I love TT products, but this pack narrowly misses my minimum size requirements and I fear it may not be large enough to accommodate all my gear.

Out of the 4 above listed packs, which would you opt for considering the intended uses? Is there anything else on the market in the $200 or less price range I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Camelbak Motherlode on order (in OD). Heard very good stuff about the Camelbak packs, they look good from what I've seen too. Eagle is a great brand and the A-III is a classic. Haven't seen the others but TT makes good stuff too. I had another model Blackhawk pack that was well made, I just didn't like the design of it. I'd give the Camelbaks a close look though. I could be mistaken but I think SKD has multicam versions. I know they have coyote.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Camelbak Motherlode on order (in OD). Heard very good stuff about the Camelbak packs, they look good from what I've seen too. Eagle is a great brand and the A-III is a classic. Haven't seen the others but TT makes good stuff too. I had another model Blackhawk pack that was well made, I just didn't like the design of it. I'd give the Camelbaks a close look though. I could be mistaken but I think SKD has multicam versions. I know they have coyote.

Well, after looking at the SKD site, it does appear they have an enlarged version of the Motherlode made from 500D cordura in coyote. It has a cargo area of 2500 cubic inches, so it appears this one meets my size requirements, whereas the earlier 2100ci version did not. The only downside is that it is a little above my $200 price cap, but nonetheless, I think I may add this pack to my list of 4 and drop the Condor from contention.

Not a bad looking pack at all. But still, I am not sure it is $25 or $50 better pack than some of the other options.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.backcountry.com/store/OSP0148/Osprey-Packs-Exos-58-Backpack-3300-3700cu-in.html
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of these and realy like it.

DBT - ASSAULT PACK
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I hiked the Bug Out Drill 2007 with a Camelbak Motherlode.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hiked the Bug Out Drill 2007 with a Camelbak Motherlode.

Now this is why I am so fond of the state of Texas. What other state actually has bug-out drills?!?! I love Kentucky too, but if I ever leave this state, I am Texas bound.

Thanks for your vote for the Motherlode. Seems the CamelBak packs are getting lots of positive praise, as is the Eagle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking for a pack in the same range too. Does anyone have any pictures of the insides of these pack? The Blackhawk and the Camelbak look like reverse twins of each other, though you do get the two extra pouches with the Blackhawk. A few pictures from other angles on the outside would be great too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Granite Tactical "Special Mission Patrol" or "Chief Patrol" - See http://www.smgtactical.com/granitegear.htm.  Great SUSPENSION.  I've carried 65 pounds plus comfortably in my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, which has the same suspension.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Go take a look at the Myster Ranch 3-day assault pack.
MR makes some excellent gear that works well with or without armor, and with a pretty serious load in it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MR makes some excellent gear that works well with or without armor, and with a pretty serious load in it.

+1  Dana Gleason (founder of Dana Designs and then Mystery Ranch) has probably forgotten more about making great packs than most other pack designers know!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  Dana Gleason (founder of Dana Designs and then Mystery Ranch) has probably forgotten more about making great packs than most other pack designers know!

Camelback has licensed his system and released it as the "Camelback Trizip", it comes in at just under $200....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Of your choices, I voted for Eagle - great pack.  I would give some serious thought to one of the superb Kelty MAP3500 packs though.  Handles weight better, is lighter weight with internal supports that are removeable and built like a pack should be, by a pack company. Tactical Tailor gear is great, but they don't make packs - they make gear and packs just happen to be one of the items - it that makes any sense....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is another option.  It is grey instead of the usual tactical colors:

StatPacks Fireline

It has the design like most wildland firefighting packs, using the shoulders and waist for support while keeping the center of mass low to prevent back stress.  Trust me, this design is made for all day wear in adverse terrain.  Also, it sits far enough from your shoulders that you can put a seperate Camelback on your back(in addition to the one in the pack), so ditching your pack does not mean ditching your water.  It is just another option to think about; it is the one I am saving for.

p.s. that fireshelter pouch also does a great job with a wet weather suit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top