Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 6:46:06 PM EDT
Im looking at the Stealth hoodie or the predator and raptor. The thing Im wondering about is just how warm they are . Would that be enough down around 0 degrees out. Ant other input would be great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not without fleece underneath.  They are nice, but in my opinion, overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
They are not meant to be warm gear, but to be a 'tactical softshell' layer. However they are excellent at breaking the wind and repelling water. Today I shot a match in north texas. It was freezing when we woke up and we had 20-25 mph winds all day. I wore a stealth hoodie along with 3 layers (underarmor, wool, fleece) and I was nice and warm all day. Breaking the wind was the biggest advantage. I've worn it in downpours as well and it is excellent.

I wear an explorer on duty when it's cool out and it functions more as a specialized windbreaker, but also does really well in the rain and snow.

Give the TAD guys a call if you want more info. They are a great bunch of people and can answer a lot more questions. Be careful though .... you don't usually end up owning just one.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
holy lack of looking before you post batman
TAG Gear stealth hoodie - AR15.COM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=274475
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm from Florida and with a good quality polartec fleece underneath my V4.0 Stealth Hoodie I was quite warm down to the mid teens in Tahoe.

Also here's a link to a quick review I did. LINK

ETA: The soft and hard shell jackets are for different applications. The hardshells are for when you need a weatherproof jacket but are a bit stiffer and noisier. The Sharkskin material is AWESOME! If you want to see water literally jump off a jacket put the sleeve of a Stealth or Spectre jacket under the faucet. The reason they can't call the stealth "waterproof" is because the seams aren't taped.

When I went to the TAD store in San Francisco I had a long talk with the guys there about their products. If you have any questions at all about TAD stuff call them. Their customer service is great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
holy lack of looking before you post batman
TAG Gear stealth hoodie - AR15.COM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=274475

Thanks, It didnt come up in my search because its spelled wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Picked up an explorer hoodie last week and it's great. I can layer underneath for warmth and it's light enough to wear up into the 70's during bad weather. I hate wearing coats so this and a regular hoodie underneath will suit me for almost all situations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an older Stealth hoodie made out of the Rhinohide or whatever the tougher material is.  It's awesome.  It would be fine at 0 degrees if you were snowshoeing or bc skiing pretty hard (assuming you had an appropriate shirt underneath) but I add a layer if I won't be going full bore or at least have one in my pack for when I slow down or for descents.

It's a great jacket,  The Patagonia Dimension in Ranger green  is similar and very nice but not as tough.  They're both really versatile jackets.  The Patagonia is nicer looking and less "tactical".  I'd probably like to be buried in that or my Arc'Teryx Gore-Tex XCR shell (if not my suit).  For a go to jacket for a bug-out or some kind of emergency with any chance of cool weather I'd probably grab the Stealth.

Patagonia Dimension

I am 6'2", 200 and the Patagonia XL was too baggy for me (normally I would wear and XL jacket) just FYI.  I had to switch to an L.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
For cold weather get a Ranger hoodie. For light rain or short periods of heavy rain get a Stealth hoodie (water will soak through the Stealth in about an hour of being outside in heavy rain). For extended outdoor activities in serious rain get a Predator. You can wear the Ranger underneath the shells for cold, wet weather, get the same size Ranger as the shells (Large Stealth or Predator will fit over a Large Ranger).

The Stealth and Predator do not insulate at all, really. If you want a thicker jacket for every day wear the V8 garage jacket is awesome, but it does not have a hood.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I plan on adding a Ranger and Predator to my collection too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive got a Stealth Jacket and a Ranger Hoodie on the way too!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Too bad they never have anything in stock.  I just want any version of ranger hoodie in XL, and they never have them.  I guess that speaks to the popularity of the ranger hoodie, but damn it I want one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top