Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2008 9:24:39 PM EDT
Looking to either buy or build a IFAK / IFAK-ish med kit and I would appreciate some suggestions.  I'd like to get the pouch in a color that matches a Spartan II if possible.  I realize that it's what's inside that counts, but I'd still like it to match at least somewhat.

And yes, I realize training is a must.  

Thanks,

-X  
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#1]
calicojack will be here in a minute. "Too bad the mod didn't sticky the BOK and pouch threads..."

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=247358

CXS
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks CXS!  I read through that thread but was suprised how short it was.  There actually wasn't a whole lot of info besides the outer pouch.  

-X
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, if you were a team member I could throw u a link to a good BOK thread in the archives...

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=231881

CXS
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have some great blow out kits in the EE right now, but they are all 3 color desert. I got these surplus, and thats how they came.

I'm gonna have to stop by the Shop on my way up to WCU labor day weekend and pick up a couple..
Might as well make good use out of the 6.5 hour drive..

CXS
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
for the stuff inside, a good starting point is this

http://www.practicaltactical.net/prostores/servlet/-strse-278/Individual-Combat-Medical-Kit/Detail

thats were I got mine also
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
well... cxs you ruined my fun....

actually there is a thread that IS stickied on a group buy from CAV AID for the internals of the kit.

had the mod stickied the long ass ifak thread, it would be being ignored at the top of the forum as well.

i was all set to get an ATS small med pouch (cause it's a tear off model) but ended up getting TWO esstac pouches off the EE. i'll write a small review when i get them in. i'm seriously doubting they will suit my likings/needs, so i might still go with the ats.

so far as to MY internals (and it's still a work in progress) i have:
1 C.A.T
1 Isreali Bandage
1 small pack quick clot grainuls
1 pair nitril gloves

still needing:
ascherman's
Nasal air way
emt shears
pair of those triangle bandage thingies (usually used to improv slings)
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

had the mod stickied the long ass ifak thread, it would be being ignored at the top of the forum as well.

not to start shit with you....but thats why I was on Hoplite's side with not tacking every thread in this forum cause, NOBODY READS THEM  look at how many questions a week come up over chest rigs and armor.

but more to the point, somebody asked why there was not a tacked thread in the survivial gear forum about IFAK/BOK's, and the mods said it was because of legal/liability issues over the advice of medical equipment and it's use.
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
did you even read the thread? more to the point the medical advice given by TRAINED medical professionals?

more to the point it gave many references to personal preference when it came to the contents of an ifak, as carried by trained medical personal, military personnel in a combat zone, and law enforcement officers.

so, IMO those people would be the best to give advice as to what to carry with you. however, as many people have said, in the various ifak thread, getting the training to use that equipment is up to the operator.

there is no liability in giving advice as to what to use. there is liability to giving advice on HOW to use the equipment.

as to the not reading the thread point... if it's tacked, we can redirect the OP to that thread and suggest he/she/it reads it. we can't do that if it's a non-team member that doesn't have access to the archives. and again, IMO, that was one of THE BEST threads to come out of this tech forum. short of the CTD plate carrier thread that was started about 3 years ago, by stickman.
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
did you even read the thread? more to the point the medical advice given by TRAINED medical professionals?

more to the point it gave many references to personal preference when it came to the contents of an ifak, as carried by trained medical personal, military personnel in a combat zone, and law enforcement officers.

so, IMO those people would be the best to give advice as to what to carry with you. however, as many people have said, in the various ifak thread, getting the training to use that equipment is up to the operator.

there is no liability in giving advice as to what to use. there is liability to giving advice on HOW to use the equipment.

as to the not reading the thread point... if it's tacked, we can redirect the OP to that thread and suggest he/she/it reads it. we can't do that if it's a non-team member that doesn't have access to the archives. and again, IMO, that was one of THE BEST threads to come out of this tech forum. short of the CTD plate carrier thread that was started about 3 years ago, by stickman.

The OP is a he.    I'm thinking about renewing my membership again too.

-X
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
here we go again..
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/tampax.jpg

Pff..  Regular.  

if you haven't read the original ifak long ass thread, you won't get it....

-X
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/tampax.jpg

Pff..  Regular.  

if you haven't read the original ifak long ass thread, you won't get it....

-X

Not worried about it.  Love the hijack anyways guys!

-X
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
okay guys. for whomever wants to read the original thread, I checked my good reading drive, and it is saved. so i can zip it up and email it to you. anyone interested shoot me an email at calicojack at charter.net
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Didn't someone say that you could use tampons to stop bleeding in the old thread?  I don't know why, but that sounds familiar..

-X
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Didn't someone say that you could use tampons to stop bleeding in the old thread?  I don't know why, but that sounds familiar..

-X

That's the archived thread I'm talking about..

CXS
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
yes they did. that is the thread i was also referencing. again, if anyone wants to read it and doesn't have access to the archives, pm me, as i saved it before it went to the archives.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#22]
look at the top of this subforum. there is a thread about ifak pouches. the link you seek is referenced there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not going to dogpile on you here, but will chime in with my streamlined IFAK.  It won't work for everyone, especially those who want to wear a portable hospital, but should stop the most life-threatening stuff long enough for evac:

HSGI Bleeder/blowout
Shears
VOK (taken out of outer wrap and crammed into the HSGI pouch - it's a tight fit)

If you don't have basic first aid/medical training, get some.  At the very least get the DVD available from the VOK manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]
that video link made me remember about a folder i had on my computer called "trauma care". I've got a crap load of good info, including a vid series on how to introduce an IV for fluids, and MULTIPLE ppts on various subjects relating to trauma care.

I hold no responsibility for their content, or your use there of, but would be more than willing to share. I can .zip them up for you and email to you, albeit a large file, upon your request(s)

:edit:holy wonder woman push up bra batman. 119mb. maybe i'd be better off setting up an ftp server and going from there....

:edit2: ftp://127.0.0.1 afrcom/arfcom will be up for the rest of the night. after that access only via pm.

:edit3: it's now available via website. pm me for address.

:edit4: will have to divide it into multiple days. each day will be up for 2 days, then will be switched.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok here goes with an inventory of my IFAK and a few comments.
The two items that is not in my primary IFAK is a C.A.T. TQ and trauma shears. I carry my TQ on my first line gear in a custom made carrier on my kit so I can access it w/o opening my blow out kit. IFAK's tend to have "aid bag diarrhea" at the worst possible time. The only medical intervention you do while under fire is apply a TQ and digging in an aid bag is not a good idea at this time, you should be shooting bad guys or putting on a TQ, while you buddy is shooting bag guys for you. Now I do have a IFKA that goes in my car as a "just in case trauma bag" and yes it has a TQ inside of it, actually 2 of them. I'm talking about my IFAK that goes on my first line gear and by armor vest.

1 x 6" Pressure Dressing
1 x Quick Clot Combat Gauze
2 x Compressed Kirlex gauze (you would be supprised how much gauze you can pack in a big, deep hole, like the kind you get from rifle shots)
1 x Hemcon 4x4
1 x Quick Clot 50g size
2 x Nasal Aiways
1 x 14g x 3.25" Angiocath (for needle decompression)
1 x small roll of duct tape
1 x Petrolaum gauze - you can also use a quick clot package or a pressure dressing package if desired
1 x 2pk Acetaminophen tabs - (other OTC pain meds can cause nausa on an empty stomach
1 x 1pk Levoquine 500mg tab. (antibiotic)
1 x Sharpie, black - for writing TQ application times or vitals
1 x Red Chem light - not a bad idea, you can drop one on someone who is down or use them as a triage device at night (red for critical, yellow for delayed, anyone else better be up and moving)

1 x C.A.T. Tourniquet - in holder on my kit
1 x trama shears - outside my IFAK for quick access, usually behind my mag pouch up front.

This seems like a lot of items to some but it fits inside a North American Rescue Maritime IFAK. This bag is 30% smaller than their "standard" bag.

A few other random thoughts you should keep in mind. Make sure if you mount you IFAK on your body you are able to reach it with either hand. IFAK's do not ever get mounted on you back, I still see people doing this. Get a real TQ, actually two of them. 1 goes in your IFAK, 1 is to practice with. Do not use your practice TQ in your aid bag or you risk failure when your life depends on it. Also when I say "real tourniquet" I mean a C.A.T. or a SOF-T. These are both combat proven. There are several others out on the market, some can work when used correctly, many do not. Use what is proven.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ok here goes with an inventory of my IFAK and a few comments.
The two items that is not in my primary IFAK is a C.A.T. TQ and trauma shears. I carry my TQ on my first line gear in a custom made carrier on my kit so I can access it w/o opening my blow out kit. IFAK's tend to have "aid bag diarrhea" at the worst possible time. The only medical intervention you do while under fire is apply a TQ and digging in an aid bag is not a good idea at this time, you should be shooting bad guys or putting on a TQ, while you buddy is shooting bag guys for you. Now I do have a IFKA that goes in my car as a "just in case trauma bag" and yes it has a TQ inside of it, actually 2 of them. I'm talking about my IFAK that goes on my first line gear and by armor vest.

1 x 6" Pressure Dressing
1 x Quick Clot Combat Gauze
2 x Compressed Kirlex gauze (you would be supprised how much gauze you can pack in a big, deep hole, like the kind you get from rifle shots)
1 x Hemcon 4x4
1 x Quick Clot 50g size
2 x Nasal Aiways
1 x 14g x 3.25" Angiocath (for needle decompression)
1 x small roll of duct tape
1 x Petrolaum gauze - you can also use a quick clot package or a pressure dressing package if desired
1 x 2pk Acetaminophen tabs - (other OTC pain meds can cause nausa on an empty stomach
1 x 1pk Levoquine 500mg tab. (antibiotic)
1 x Sharpie, black - for writing TQ application times or vitals
1 x Red Chem light - not a bad idea, you can drop one on someone who is down or use them as a triage device at night (red for critical, yellow for delayed, anyone else better be up and moving)

1 x C.A.T. Tourniquet - in holder on my kit
1 x trama shears - outside my IFAK for quick access, usually behind my mag pouch up front.

This seems like a lot of items to some but it fits inside a North American Rescue Maritime IFAK. This bag is 30% smaller than their "standard" bag.

A few other random thoughts you should keep in mind. Make sure if you mount you IFAK on your body you are able to reach it with either hand. IFAK's do not ever get mounted on you back, I still see people doing this. Get a real TQ, actually two of them. 1 goes in your IFAK, 1 is to practice with. Do not use your practice TQ in your aid bag or you risk failure when your life depends on it. Also when I say "real tourniquet" I mean a C.A.T. or a SOF-T. These are both combat proven. There are several others out on the market, some can work when used correctly, many do not. Use what is proven.

just a quick question... why so many types of coagulants?
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#27]
My blowout kit is actually kind of large but it's complete for me:

EMT shears
Nitrile gloves
Rubber band style tourniquet
Izzy bandage
2 triangle bandages + 8" piece of broomstick (heavier duty tourniquet)
2 chemlights
Alcohol pads
14 ga catheter
Ascherman's
2 pieces vaseline gauze
2 heat pads
Space blanket
A few rolls of gauzz
Athletic tape
Scalpel
2 clamps
Eye drops

Aside from the rubber tourniquet, the stick and one of the triangular bandages, it fits comfortably into an old BH pouch I picked up on clearance, FYI it takes up 4 rows of MOLLE real estate.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#29]

that is a good kit, i'll give you that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top