Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 9:08:41 AM EDT
Im looking to get a helmet, But im not sure what type i should get, theres always the military kevlar type, the Pasgt/mich/ach helmet, But then i see people useing the skateboard type helmets too. I cant seem to find the MICH helmets for cheap, well, not as cheap as the pasgt, but under 200 bucks.

What kind of helmet should i look for, this would most likely be for mounting NV to later, But why else do you guys buy your helmets?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#1]
we can't really help you until we know what you're using it for, besides mounting NVGs to later.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
why do you need one?

I sold a BLSS'd Kpot with LobsterClaw not too long ago for under a 100.00

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
if its just for the NV then get a skate helmet...of course if you need a true ballistic protection get a pasgt/ach.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a RBR Combat for $100
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
we can't really help you until we know what you're using it for, besides mounting NVGs to later.

See thats the thing, i believe its more of a want, I see a couple people here have them, but why, most of us dont see combat, just another thing for SHTF? IDK.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is to satisfy the "Inner Geer Queer" that lurks inside you (and you have the cash to burn), get whatever you want. Go over to Military Morons and checkout all the high and low speed protective headgear on display.

If you are just looking to mount the NV, get the Protec skateboard stuff (it'll protect your noggin from head bumps, too).

I completely understand wanting to buy something simply just because. There ain't nothing wrong with that (as long as you take care of real life priority stuff first).

Life is short, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
After wearing the PASGT for several years, I went with the MICH/ACH for the higher profile cut, lighter weight, and improved suspension.  Of course you can pick up a PASGT with an upgraded suspension or a skate helmet for much cheaper depending on your application (as several previous posters have stated).

Any way you go a newer type padded suspension system is the way to go.  The old suspension systems in the k pot (and older) got really uncomfortable after several hours of wear (but left a cool parachute cord donut on your head).

The MICH does well for keeping my head free from any real dings from low vehicle doorways, crossbeams in crawlspaces, and the errant falling random whatsit including, but not limited to, carelessly swinging rifle barrels, things falling out of the pouches and pockets of the guy (or girl) above you on a rope of ladder, propping up MRE heaters, and as a real convenient place to mount a white light when I need to see a patient, not to mention the palistic protection it affords.

Application should be your final determining factor though.  No point in ballistic protection if the only thing you're getting shot at with is a camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top