Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 5:39:22 AM EDT
Ok guys, I was looking at the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack and was wondering:
Does anyone here have one, and how do you like it for CCW or as a essential gear bag?

Lastly; do any of you weaar them out in public with anyregularity?  What response do you get from folks?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone here have one, and how do you like it for CCW or as a essential gear bag?

Lastly; do any of you weaar them out in public with anyregularity?  What response do you get from folks?

I have the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak.  I carry it every day.

When God (Al Gore) created laptop (portable) computers, no one questioned dumping the briefcase and getting a shoulder bag, right?  For those Gen X slackers that were too cool to carry a shoulder bag, Hello Kitty backpacks were in fashion to carry books and laptops.

The Versipak doesnt look like a purse, murse, or fag bag.  It looks like a utility belt with a pouch.  I'm 6'3" 230#.  No one pays any more attention to the Versipack than a computer bag or backpack.

Nevis

ETA - it is A+ for CCW, BOB, and any other get home, go to work crap you need to haul around daily.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
We need a versipack sticky. This topic comes up all the time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes, I have several (mostly because I sell them).  I use a Fatboy for EDC (every day carry), and a Jumbo for a vehicle medical kit.

I don't CCW in them because it's slow, and cumbersome with a Fatboy with anything larger than a J-frame or a Glock-26 sized weapon.  Yes, I know larger guns will fit into the zippered compartment, but since I used the bag to actually carry stuff, I don't put it in the main compartment, where a larger weapon can actually be carried and accessed.

I don't carry a Jumbo as an EDC rig, too big and I don't carry (or want to carry) that much shit.  It will definitely work better for CCW, since it has a dedicated pocket on the back/outside...but IMO that isn't very concealed since larger weapons can be seen.  The zippered slot pocket will hold large handguns easily.

If I CCW, the weapon is on me.  Or I open carry.

TimW
Phoenix
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

agreed.

Like how the OP insults those who have one (fag bag) and then wants to know specifics about it.

they're well-built, can carry much more than you think, and don't attract any more attention than a laptop bag.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I have several (mostly because I sell them).  I use a Fatboy for EDC (every day carry), and a Jumbo for a vehicle medical kit.

I don't CCW in them because it's slow, and cumbersome with a Fatboy with anything larger than a J-frame or a Glock-26 sized weapon.  Yes, I know larger guns will fit into the zippered compartment, but since I used the bag to actually carry stuff, I don't put it in the main compartment, where a larger weapon can actually be carried and accessed.

I don't carry a Jumbo as an EDC rig, too big and I don't carry (or want to carry) that much shit.  It will definitely work better for CCW, since it has a dedicated pocket on the back/outside...but IMO that isn't very concealed since larger weapons can be seen.  The zippered slot pocket will hold large handguns easily.

If I CCW, the weapon is on me.  Or I open carry.

TimW
Phoenix

Agreed, same here.  However, in the Versipack is a backup/bigger hammer/more ammo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The Maxpedition Gearslinger is a pretty good option as well:

Gearslinger
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got one but I use mine for hunting.  In it, I can fit quite a few items, which makes it really easy to outfit myself and even another hunter if necessary with the following things:

- earplugs

- Tink's 69 estrus deer urine

- a brace of cartridges for one or two rifles, including subsonic .308 in case we see a coyote or feral hog

- my 10 X 42 binoculars

- multi-tool

- migraine meds ( get really BAD ones, and we often stay out for 10 hours of the day hunting)

- cigarette lighter

-my Jet.308 can  (now, some of you will ask, huh?  I only screw the can on my .308 if we see a feral hog because it is illegal to hunt deer in TX with a suppressor.  Feral hogs are not considered game.)  Why ruin your hunt, by lighting off an unsuppressed round at a hog??

- deer tags and lock-ties.  We use "MLD" state-issued management tags that are much larger than the tags on the license.

- sunglasses or clear shooting glasses for very low light

That's a ton of stuff.  OK, so my GF calls it my "man purse..."  but what the hell do I canre?  It works great for me and saves me time.  I showed up at the ranch with it this year, and everyone else in camp immediately wantd one so,

Laugh it up funny boy  

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like the camelbak demon better but I guess they are discontinued. It's a small daypack with a hidden compartment for a pistol

I use the Demon more around town than my Fatboy, for sure.  I also use one for urban search and rescue, because then I can carry w/o being obvious about it.

And while they are discontinued, there is some limited availability for them.  I do know that Camelbak is completely out of the grey/black, so only the Cranberry version is available.

FYI, Camelbak's Goblin CCW fannypack is on the chopping block, too.

TimW
Phoenix
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed.

Like how the OP insults those who have one (fag bag) and then wants to know specifics about it.

they're well-built, can carry much more than you think, and don't attract any more attention than a laptop bag.

It's not an insult, I didn't mean to offend.   But that is a common term to describe these pieces of gear. ...Don't get all politically correct on me
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't worry....Chuck Norris is inbound to kick his ass. He's packing a fag-bag full of whoop-ass.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a EDC Bag that I designed and built myself.

I am iun the medical field and wear scrubs everyday.  Scrubs DO NOT lend themsleves to carrying a weapon, so I use the "fag-bag".

Mine is with me at all times (I have three-one in my car, one in the wife's vehicle and one hanging on the bed with a .357 revolver, for those things that go bump in the night...Fruit of the Looms don't hold up a pistol any better than scrubs )

I have never felt singled out or overly scrutinized when carrying my murse.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry a Fatboy-S in ACU-flage everyday.  Blends in with my uniform, carries my SureFire, Leatherman, spare hat, cell, headlamp, etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry....Chuck Norris is inbound to kick his ass. He's packing a fag-bag full of whoop-ass.

i11.tinypic.com/71cz252.jpg

Chuck Norris can wear whatever the fuck he wants.

don't think that's a fag bag though...a fanny pack is much much worse.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry an Uncle Mike's Sidekick in medium size and have worn out 3 or 4 in the last 15 years.  They don't 'scream' gun and nobody notices.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Maxpedition Jumbo that I keep in my car.  It is my GHB from work or out and about town and also has some emergency stuff for any situation that could arise.

I like it.  I would not carry it everyday though on my person, because it is a man purse.  However, if SHTF or I go hiking with my dog down some short 10k trails it is nice to have ready.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Fast Access Gun - Bag

why get so wrapped around the axle about it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
Fast Access Gun - Bag

why get so wrapped around the axle about it?

Hahaha.... well put.

I was checking these out, and to be honest it looks like a more durable, tactical version of the current sling bags that the trendy kids use. I like the way it looks because I get the setup I need without looking like a wannabe cool kid.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one of these. It carries a ton of stuff and doesn't really stand out. Appears very well made and the price isn't bad either.

James
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
as a father of 2 small kids i carry a Fatboy every day. a USPc .40 is in the gun compartment, and the spare mag is in the small pouch on the strap up front. a surefire e2d is in the flashlight compartment. in the main compartment are a few diapers, wipes, and some snacks.  the smaller front pocket has a spare pocket knife, notebook, pen, and spare batteries. the rear pocket has things like a leatherman, some 550 cord, lighter, etc.

i guess since i've got 2 kids in tow no one gives me a second look whilst wearing the bag. i never take it off my person when i've got it out in public. its a handy way to carry all the daddy stuff and blend in.

when i've got the kids, its easier for me to conceal the pistol in the bag than on my hip as i'll also usually have a kid on the hip since she can't walk well just yet.

i had considered the jumbo, but i didnt like how the smaller pockets were configured.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently purchased a 'Suarez' Rifle Fighting Bag and have been using it as a range bag for the last couple weeks, I leave a few mags, boxes of ammo, Otis M9 and Otis M16/M4 cleaning kits, and a set of M frames in the bag at all times.  I will be taking it to a SDI Tactical class next month and may try it out a bit on the line to see how it works as a "rifle fighting bag" and will post a AAR on it then.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I wear a versipack to work.

I don't think anybody calls it a fag bag, at least not to my face.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I ordered a MOJO from eggrolly. From what i have seen this bag is the cats ass. I will post pics once i get it.
I had a maxpedition for a bit but my buddy borrowed it and it never returned. I didn't loose any sleep over it the bag really didn't impress me.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Pile
Its on its way
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Got to look at a really nice bag put together by Larue at the last 3 gun match I went to.

He didn't say we weren't allowed to talk about it, but the guy who had it was looking for input on the features and what we might like to see removed or added before it went into actual production.

Looked like a good product, and if I understood correctly, they're trying to come in under the 100 dollar mark.

Can't wait to see if they took any of my suggestions when it comes out in production...  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
i carry a jumbo in olive, and it seldom gets a second glance.  the point mentioned earlier re CCW is valid--my p229 puts a considerable dent in the cargo compartment.  in addition, it is very sensitive to overpacking--the closure strap is very short, and doesn't compress the bag very well.  another significant drawback is the lack of a full sized radio pocket on the outside of the bag.

right now, i'm planning to go to the battlelab e&e bag, which has a messenger-style flap that covers the front as well as external mag pouches.

bear in mind, i use mine as a 72 hour survival essentials kit.  it goes in the car with me on road trips and such--not military applications.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]
anybody know if this would hold a laptop and full size glock, that would be my plan, and take care of all my needs
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah but you should hear what we say here when you aren't logged in!

I don't know... comments about how my ass looks?

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah but you should hear what we say here when you aren't logged in!

I don't know... comments about how my ass looks?

Oh you just know it sweetie!
Just kidding!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top