Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2007 2:10:47 PM EDT
I saw the post / poll about body armor and started thinking about other militray equipment. So I ask: Any Civilians Own or Plan to own a Helmet? I currently don't have body armor, NBC gear or head protection of any kind and I'm wandering if I should invest in any of this.

I would've posted this as a poll but couldn't see how to do it
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have about 10 helmets, however they are all WWII type helmets from different countries as I collect some WWII stuff.  I did think about a New style helmet but am not sure if I would like to spend that much money.  If you feel it is worth it, go ahead.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a PASGT, Vietnam Era Helmet, and Gladiator Helmet
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a free riot helmet and shield.  Now I gotta find a riot.............
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three issued helmets and I do everything I can to avoid having to wear them.

Personally, I would not spend money on a helmet if I didn't have one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Pagst paratrooper helmet found it on the curb x-mas night while I was wondering around
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have three issued helmets and I do everything I can to avoid having to wear them.

I really didn't want the one I picked up today........
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
after you wear it a few hours, you won't do it again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a modded CVC helmet, but helmets in general aren't going to stop the types of things you're likely to encounter in a situation that would warrant a helmet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one that I got for no charge with my last set of plates .
It sat around collecting dust until my son saw it and wanted it for
paintball . Which is probably the best use for it
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really didn't want the one I picked up today........

While I don't want the ones I have, much less another one, I nonetheless understand why you picked it up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Night vision is up there in price but WOW!, would that be great or what?

That is on my list, but I've got to stop buying rifles for awhile to purchase some good Gen IIIs.  I know Gen IIs get the job done well, but I'm one of those guys that would just spend everyday wishing I had a Gen III instead.  

Shoot, I saw some thermal goggles the other day that were $13,000, but looked like PVS-7s and I'm sure by the time I get my Gen IIIs those will be down in price and I'll wish I had those.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but thermal goggles are different than  night vision - lower resolution for one thing.  Then again, they work in absolute, total darkness.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I got an ACH and an old Pagast and if given the choice I would never wear either unless I'm using NODS the kevlar is more comfortable that the skull crushed that goes with PVS7 or 14s
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have my own MICH but that was because I got issued one at my 1st unit for deployment, had to give it back, and then got sent to a 2nd unit and got the old shit can. Couldnt stand wearing it after I got used to the much better MICH so I bought my own along with an OPS GEAR harness. Now that Im a civie I still have it but now it wears a multicam cover... Id probably only wear it if the bullets were flying.

Personally I think they do more to prevent blunt trauma than anything. A civie would be as well off or better with a skateboarding type helmet IMO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a MICH.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Got a PASGT, and an Interceptor vest.  Need to replace my gas mask.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've seen reports of the kevlar helmets in Iraq and Afghanistan saving lives.

they are MICHS / ACHs, even if they saved from penetrating trauma, there is still concussion and closed head injuries

What most people don't do is they don't take the time to find a good Helmet Retention System or Helmet Pad System.  

MICHS/ACHs have pads, its not that they dont take the time, most wont open their pockets

People just take the stock stuff that comes with their helmet and then complain about having to wear them.

not something new, but then again people bitch about MREs

Like anything else if you custom it out a bit it goes a long way.

there is no customizing out, there is replacing a MICH 4 pt suspension with a better suspension.  Any sort of modification of the helmet and you're a knucklehead

I think it is foolish to get body armor and then wrap your brains in a canvas ball cap.  That my opinion though and too each their own.

its all about FRAME of REFERENCE,

Oh  2 michs, a Canadian Gallet, a BLSSd PASGT and a few cotton canvas ballcaps
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a PASGT,
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#20]
2 PASGT helmets.  I just need to order a Multicam helmet cover and then I'm good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I may be looking to pick one up if/when the shooting starts.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#22]
probably the best dealing going on a helmet for a civilian or "once-in-awhile" user is a Canadian Gallet. I got a great deal on one (when I lucked in to an explosives breaching class that required a helmet) from a friend that is a local cop when they replaced his personal helmet with an issued.

They may cost a bit more than a used pagst, but they have a MUCH better suspension system and a 3 point strap that is very comfortable.

I've since replaced the suspension system with a Gentex so it works with my earpro, and the harness with the Ops-Core.

It works great for the couploe times a year I might need one for some shoothouse training.

Not mine, but this is what they look like stock

And the stock suspension system

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup, pasgt one,  needs new suspension but I can't find a place to "try" before I buy
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got an MSA ACH
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I own a PASGT.

-GreatWarAZ
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#26]
It's one of those "yeah I wish I had one" items for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
PAGST for the wifey, I get the lightweight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top