Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 10:45:25 AM EDT
I shoot a local tactical style 3-gun match and I'm looking to upgrade my gear. I've been looking at the Gen 4 molle style Blackhawk vest and running a triple mag shingle on one side and a shotshell panel on the other side. Holster is not an issue as I run a dropleg rig. Any opinions would be appreciated. P.S. I know how a lot of  people feel about Blackhawk, and that is not the opinion I need.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds ok.

When set up for 3 gun (AR, Win 1300, G17) I set mine up the same way.  My AR and pistol mags are always in the same place, and just add a GP pouch for shotshells.  

My current setup (for two gun--12 o'clock is front)

SOB Battle Belt
Eagle Duty triple pistol mag pouch (between 10 and 11 o'clock)
Eagle Duty AR mag pouch for faster reloads (10 o'clock)
Diamondback Tactical Tiered AR mag pouch (9 o'clock)
ENDOM BOMB (med pouch) (8 o'clock)
Eagle Dump Pouch (6 o'clock)
Gerber ASEK knife and SOB sheath (4 o'clock)
Safariland 6280 (3 o'clock)

If I use the shotgun, then I put the GP pouch on at 2 o'clock

What you will have to work out is how you reload your guns.  I'm right handed, so my magazine reloads with the pistol and rifle are from my left hand.  However, I'm more efficient in reloading my shotgun with my right hand, so the shotshell pouch is on the right hand side.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two kydex AR mag carriers on my belt forward of where I carry my pistol mags.  All of my shotgun reloads are on the gun in www.3gungear.com side saddles.  Counting the nine loaded in the gun, I can get a full box of 25 rounds of #4s on the gun.  If I absolutely need more shotgun rounds, I also have a dump pouch (front center) that I use for loading at the start, and I can put a couple of six-round trays on the right side of my belt ahead of my holster.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Really check out 3gungear.com.  They have great stuff and it's bulletproof!  Plus just all around great people too.  

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK

P.S.  FWIW, I LOOOOVE Blackhawk!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Right now I run a STRIKE chest rig. I like the chest rigs in that I think they position the mags and pouches in a better place than the belt. Having them higher up on my chest reduces the amount of tmovement in reloading. The downside is nobody makes a MOLLE mounted kydex pouch and the kydex pouches are unquestionably the fastest based on my experience. I have to run my pouches with the mag flaps open and tucked behind the pouch to have any chance of being competitive on reloads.

Since a 3-gun match usually doesn't have a very high round count or require too many mags, I think a belt rig probably offers the most advantages Two kydex AR mags, a double kydex pistol mag, and a stuff sack of some kind and you are good-to-go for most of them. Seeing the pros shoot tends to confirm this I think; though I would be interested to see if that changed if someone came out with a chest rig that had kydex speed to it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Since I shoot mostly Open Division, this may not work in a "tactical" sense, but there are some ideas that y'all can take from it.  If we have an actual 3-gun stage, the normal round count is somewhere around 20-30 rounds of rifle (layout requiring or not penalizing a reload), 15-20 rounds of shotgun and 20 rounds of pistol.

So, I usually have my CRSpeed belt with pistol mags and holster on the belt line (mags on the left).  From there I have a drop leg mag holder for AR mags lashed to my left leg and Tec Loaders tied to my right.  Most of it is either 3GunGear or Blackhawk.  Just worked out that way.

When I do shoot Tactical Division, the setup is similar except I have the pistol mags on my vest (right breast area) and all the shotgun reloads come from either from on the weapon, off my forearm or from 'trays' on my belt.  

Hope that helps.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top