Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 10:15:45 PM EDT
Ok guys, need some info on a Ghillie build.

I purchased a Tactical Concealment Viper hood.

I was wondering if someone who has one or who has used them could offer up some info or pictures and discuss the product they used to finish the hood.  I have some of the moss dreadlock fiber, the 1 ply jute and the moss hair.  All of which is tan or a wheat/hay color.  I would like to add some sage (dull green subtle) into the flavor of the build.  Any info, pictures or suggestions would be great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I started a ghillie suit a few years ago, but never finished it.  In terms of different colors, just get some burlap material.  Shred it up to the correct size and shape and then get some fabric dye.  You can do green and the longer you dye it, the darker it will be.

hth
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#2]
you got a thing that looks like a hood and you add stuff to it so it looks like chubaca?
first do a google search on

Tactical Concealment Viper hood
 you will get some good pics.  

Use good nylon thread.  Not cotton thread.
Use a big upholstery or saddle needles.
don't be afraid of using spray paint.  You can color the jute and burlap to suit.
Lay it out and check it in a real setting to see what you need to do to make it blend better.
fluff and fray the burlap and grind it into the dirt.  then shake out the dirt and it will pick up a tint that is more natural.

Remember your going for “can I use this to blend behind something better”.  
It’s not for standing out in the open.  You want to use it behind cover and in shadow.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I made a ghillie suit on a pair of BDU's last year. I used some of the tricks I learned on a previous one to make that one. I bought the burlap in sheets and hand stripped the fibers from them. The more splotchy you make it and the more materials you use, the crummier it looks, but the better it works. Make sure to cut your materials to random lengths. After you tie down the materials, try spray painting splotches into the suit to your liking (I used an ultra flat OD paint I found at Home Depot) I'll add some pics of mine in a minute. Also, use the 60-40 rule: 60% natural vegetation, 40% material.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I started a ghillie suit a few years ago, but never finished it.  In terms of different colors, just get some burlap material.  Shred it up to the correct size and shape and then get some fabric dye.  You can do green and the longer you dye it, the darker it will be.

hth

Huge +1!

And remember to "wash" it when it's built. It removes the smell, any loose strings, and shine.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hth

Huge +1!

And remember to "wash" it when it's built. It removes the smell, any loose strings, and shine.  

What ! , Wash it ? ...................No , drag it in the mud , run over it with you truck , make it ragged .
Get-er-dirty ! . Remember the garnish ( burlap ) is only a small percentage of the base . Use natural vegetation woven into the netting as well for more concealment .
  Gene
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm aware of that High. That's why I used the quotes.

Many snipers I've talked to refer to that process as washing the suit. Using the irony of the term since it is anything but clean after thier done with it.

Oh, and no mater what you do, DO NOT put it in the dryer. Not only will it ruin the hood, you'll get little burlap fibers all over your clothing for a long time after.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Just move to San Francisco, you'll blend in well with the other alternative types.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh, and no mater what you do, DO NOT put it in the dryer. Not only will it ruin the hood, you'll get little burlap fibers all over your clothing for a long time after.

and it will look like a cat exploded.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]
My ghillie is not shredded down to individual strands. It is 1"-3" wide strips tied into some gray green fishnet and sewn onto a german flectarn parka. It works great around here where it is mostly brown and dark greens.

I scored camo burlap from Cabelas that people build duck blinds out of and mixed it with green and brown Mil sand bags and all sorts of differant  green and brown fabric.

Regular fabrics tied on make a great leaf effect.

I'll see what I can do to get a pic of it. It works great, my kids use it to play a modified game of hide and seek where someone hides and they have to spot them from the porch. It took them about 100 games to start picking it out of the foliage more easily.

If you guys need some fishnet and aren't in a huge hurry, IM me about it. The old fish nets are just taken up to the landfill and tossed.

Cheers,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top