Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2006 1:56:52 PM EDT
I know nothing about vests. I am looking for a lightweight bullet resistant vest for home defense. I want it to have holsters for 2 Glocks with 33 round mags, pockets for extra Glock 33 rd mags, and pockets for AR 30 rd mags. Does this exist? Where?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
you're going to carry two glocks?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Stop playing counter strike.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Stop playing counter strike.

I don't know anything about vests...
Are you planning on wearing a vest around your house???  Sounds like a bit much to me.  1 Glock on your hip with a standard mag should surfice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I am just looking for helpful advice for a worst case scenario of home invasion. I would not wear it normally but keep it in my 'safe room' should a gang invade my home.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#6]

I've got my popcorn...let it begin.
Seriuosly, it sounds like you better start with a MOLLE vest or plate carrier and add holsters and pouches as needed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Hukked on Glock wurked phor mee
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
heres a thought, why not REDIRECT supposed funds to buying more ammo and training opportunities

unless of course you can get that stuff downloaded through that data-nipple?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
heres a thought, why not REDIRECT supposed funds to buying more ammo and training opportunities

I have been learning about and buying ammo. Unfortunately, I had a severe back injury that makes training difficult now. The most I can do at the moment is go to the range for short periods to practice. The vest is just the last idea to have everything all together just in case.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hehe, I need one of those.

Ok, back to reality. Is gang violence that bad in SC? Just curious to why you feel the need to have so much firepower on tap. Also you mentioned you have a back injury. Having this much weight is not going to make it easy to move or mobilize quickly.

You could go with an HSGI chest rig over some IIIA lvl armor like brassburn mentioned. Then hook up a belt with a drop leg holster for your pistol and a drop leg magazine pouch. If you feel the need to have 2 pistols, have a drop leg holster for each.

How many people are in your family/living with you? Are any of them proficient in firearms? If you have a few people that are capable of handling firearms, maybe you should form a group plan, instead of trying to 'Rambo' the possible situation.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
What do you think of this vest:

www.cheaperthandirt.com/VEST160-713-1572.html

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a piece of crap. Forget about the Matrix stuff and get you some standard Glock mags and a AR-15 with either a jungle clip set up or a Redi-mag set up and figure out where the Defensive positions in your house are. Plan for any illegal entries and go from there. A bunch of 33rd mags and a fancy tactical vest( regardless of the price will not make up for thinking ahead and training. Whether it is 15 min of range time or a 5 day all inclusive tactical course. Don't compensate for the lack of money and lack KNOWLEDGE with a bunch of fancy baubbles that might fail on you when you need them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'll never understand why the primary weapon mags are on the strong side of the desk.

Hey eggrolly, what is with the followers on those Glock mags?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
First things first Neo... You need to change your name to Morpheus. Then, get two MP5k's with red dot scopes on them. Forget the body armor- just get a purple suit- pants, jacket, vest, etc. You'll also need a trench coat.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Oh, don't forget the katana
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny a jungle clip set.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey eggrolly, what is with the followers on those Glock mags?

They're AIRSOFT magazines, that is an AIRSOFT **toy** pistol

the point being is that this is an unrealistic scenario with not a lot of thought given to the situation at hand.... using gear as a crutch for lack of training and addressing of physical conditions.  

At least that is how it appears to me
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They're AIRSOFT magazines, that is an AIRSOFT **toy** pistol

OK, good to know. I'd never seen airsoft mags before.

the point being is that this is an unrealistic scenario with not a lot of thought given to the situation at hand.... using gear as a crutch for lack of training and addressing of physical conditions.  

I don't know egg, that is a disturbing line of thought you are pursuing. It almost sounds like you are saying that dressing like a Special Forces soldier and having all the same gear won't magically imbue me with their knowledge and skills? Lord knows you don't sell gear with wacky ideas like that
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's a piece of crap. Forget about the Matrix stuff and get you some standard Glock mags and a AR-15 with either a jungle clip set up or a Redi-mag set up and figure out where the Defensive positions in your house are. Plan for any illegal entries and go from there. A bunch of 33rd mags and a fancy tactical vest( regardless of the price will not make up for thinking ahead and training. Whether it is 15 min of range time or a 5 day all inclusive tactical course. Don't compensate for the lack of money and lack KNOWLEDGE with a bunch of fancy baubbles that might fail on you when you need them.

Why is it a piece of crap? I have an AR-15 rifle. This looks like it would nicely carry extra AR-15 mags, extra Glock mags, and my Glock for BU. What do you think will fail and why?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
ok so ya want a vest that will cary two glock and ar15 mags as well? im forced to ask what do you think your gonna be defending against? i mean the people defending america arnt even armed that heavy!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...the point being is that this is an unrealistic scenario with not a lot of thought given to the situation at hand.... using gear as a crutch for lack of training and addressing of physical conditions.  

Although I think the scenario is unlikely, it is not unrealistic as it has happened around here and elsewhere. Most of this site is about gear of one form or another. I am simply asking if the vest above would be a reasonable choice to hold my Glock and extra mags. If not, why not? I am looking for a simple vest that I can quickly put on.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It almost sounds like you are saying that dressing like a Special Forces soldier and having all the same gear won't magically imbue me with their knowledge and skills?

I am not trying to dress like a Special Forces soldier. I suspect that the Special Forces have much better gear than the vest above. I am not looking for magic, just a vest to hold my BU Glock and extra mags that is quick to put on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems like a bit much but hey its your money/home.  Look at Blackhawk stuff.  In my opinion, some of the best gear out there.  Gonna pay for what you get though.

They make a vest with a holster on the left side.  I suggest a leg-drop holster for the right.  If you want to carry alot of ammo pick up a leg-drop mag holster for the right.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ok so ya want a vest that will cary two glock and ar15 mags as well? im forced to ask what do you think your gonna be defending against? i mean the people defending america arnt even armed that heavy!

Carrying two Glocks is probably not needed. From my understanding, most LE and military carry a BU gun and extra mags. I have had HD guns for years with the thought of one intruder. From watching the news it appears gang violence is on the increase even in robberies. Unfortunately, LE and the military will not be here should I face home invasion; I will be.

Once again, I am simply asking if the vest above would be a good choice to quickly put on and carry a Glock as a BU gun and extra mags. If not, why not? What would be a better choice for this application?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I guess what everyone is saying here is play out the senario that you are trying to guard against.  You would like a vest that can hold the weapons listed and the ammo for those guns.  Sure the vest above can and will do that.  If you are saying that you have a bad back and can not go to the range, I think trying to get to your vest and throw a 20+ lb vest on to defend your home from some break in is not going to to work well.  But if your looking for a vest that can hold items as stated then sure why not.  To add armor the weight facter will go up and so will the price.  Just stick with your glock several 15 round mags and spend time shooting.  If you feel you got to get a vest then there are many and the one above will work as well.  Just not the ideal for home protection!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, when Laua Croft, John Rambo, and the ailien hordes attack you'll be fine.

PLEASE go watch a good movie like Way of the gun. It is a fun construction of gunplay. and an accurate but flawed pictorial of vest use.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Seems like a bit much but hey its your money/home.  Look at Blackhawk stuff.  In my opinion, some of the best gear out there.  Gonna pay for what you get though.

They make a vest with a holster on the left side.  I suggest a leg-drop holster for the right.  If you want to carry alot of ammo pick up a leg-drop mag holster for the right.

Thank you for the help. I went to the Blackhawk site. This vest seems similar:

www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1922&d=

The cost difference is not important if it would be better for my intended use. I do not see a place for extra Glock mags. I want something quick and easy to put on. Do the leg-drop holsters simply attach to the vest or do they need to be attached to the legs? It seems they might just be in the way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well I guess what everyone is saying here is play out the senario that you are trying to guard against.  You would like a vest that can hold the weapons listed and the ammo for those guns.  Sure the vest above can and will do that.  If you are saying that you have a bad back and can not go to the range, I think trying to get to your vest and throw a 20+ lb vest on to defend your home from some break in is not going to to work well.  But if your looking for a vest that can hold items as stated then sure why not.  To add armor the weight facter will go up and so will the price.  Just stick with your glock several 15 round mags and spend time shooting.  If you feel you got to get a vest then there are many and the one above will work as well.  Just not the ideal for home protection!

Thank you. I have been trying to pick out the helpful advice and adapt my thinking. As I said at the beginning, I know nothing about vests and was asking for advice. I agree that with my bad back I need to keep the weight down. The armor was just an idea and would not be worth the weight. A second Glock would also not be worth the weight. I can go to the range (and I do) but with my back as it is now I can not go to any extensive training.

Everyone seems to have their own ideas on what weapons would be best for HD. To me, my AR-15 with a Glock BU seems ideal. Or, did you mean that there is a better vest for my application than the first one above from Cheaper-Than-Dirt? I would appreciate any suggestions on similar vests that would be better for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I want it to have holsters for 2 Glocks with 33 round mags

And where have we seen this thread before....?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you. I have been trying to pick out the helpful advice and adapt my thinking. As I said at the beginning, I know nothing about vests and was asking for advice. I agree that with my bad back I need to keep the weight down. The armor was just an idea and would not be worth the weight. A second Glock would also not be worth the weight. I can go to the range (and I do) but with my back as it is now I can not go to any extensive training.

Everyone seems to have their own ideas on what weapons would be best for HD. To me, my AR-15 with a Glock BU seems ideal. Or, did you mean that there is a better vest for my application than the first one above from Cheaper-Than-Dirt? I would appreciate any suggestions on similar vests that would be better for one reason or another.

ONce again I will throw this out there...

MOLLE vest and put whatever pouches you want where you want...Blackhawk makes them as well as Eagle.  BTW the Eagle is far better IMHO...very easy to get in to...lots of room for pouches...great price from Triad.

triadtactical.com/tab1/store/category/9qqq/Platforms.html
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/VEST-160.jpg

This vest is OK, I have the same in coyote brown color, it came with a pistol belt and 2 extra pistol magazine pouches on the belt itself.
I also have the Blackhawk version but no pistol belt and cost more than the first vest.
Also note that the Blackhawk vest has 3 Ar-15 magazine pouches whereas the cheaper vest has 4.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
OK, you're posting about two pistols with two 33 mags, plus whatever else.  If you are looking at putting that much ordnance downrange, you are either looking at lots of failures to stop, or supressing, or lots of goblins.  Having two pistols isn't going to stop any of that.  Supressing is a no-no, and if you are really looking at large numbers of goblins, pistols isn't the solution to that either.  Back to the fail to stop, you would be better off with a rifle.
As for the CTD vest, what others have said is true.  There is a reason its cheap.  If this really is gear that you are getting because you are honestly worried about a home invasion by enough bangers that you think you need two pistols and 66 ready rounds, you might want to solve the prob through other means.
There's a whole lot that doesn't make sense here, but then that seems to be a trend recently on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/VEST-160.jpg

I have one I know longer need. $45 buck shipped to you. Understand this has no body armor in it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a one of those CTD vest, bought it for airsoft. I don't even wear it anymore. While it is much more flexible and comfortable than the BHI it also seems like if I tried I could tear the seems apart with my hands. I keep it only for games that have specific uniform color reqs.

Funny thing though, the CTD vest holds 2 AR15 magazines in each pouch while the $120 BHI only holds 1 due to stitching that left the pouches too tight. I can get 2 magazines in, but taking one out drags the second out and it fall to the floor.  Didn't matter to me since I was using an MP5 and either vest pouch holds 3 of those. I can tell you the CTD vest will not hold the 33 round glock magazines. The pouches just arn't tall enough. And while 3 magazines will fit in the pouch they will fly out if you start running,

Just to clarify you have an AR15 and two Glock handguns. How many magazines do you have for each?

AR15:
Glock 17 round:
Glock 33 round:

Do you want to carry all of them or do you want to have some hidden with the second Glock somewhere else in the house? Having all your gear in one place is a bad idea. If the SHTF and you're on the wrong side of the house what do you do?

A good point was made about not using suppressive fire. While it works great in war, doing it in a neighborhood could kill a lot of innocent people. Training so the first few rounds does the trick is the best bet.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Just curious...........do you live on the ground floor or upper story? In an invasion scenario, someone kicks open a door or throws a garden paver thru your sliding glass door............how much time do you think you'll have to don a vest, fasten/clip fas-tek buckles, release velcro straps around gun, draw weapon of choice, stage in strategic location and answer threat? At three in the AM.

I've had alarm magnets fall off my rear door and activate the alrm at O'dark:thirty. I live in a ranch-house. It was all I could to get my gun w/ rail lite, wake up enough and get between possible threat and my family. I knew what it probably was but had to follow my procedure, just in case.

I'm thinking you won't have time for fancy stuff.  

Remember, K.I.S.S.  

ps.......I'm used to being forced awake by loud noises and people talking in the middle of the night.  (see my avatar)  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I have had some preparation for home defense for years. Although there are many other cases, I know one lawyer here who had his home invaded by a small gang. His wife, children, and himself were all bound. This is not some movie scenario, it happens. Fortunately, they were searching the house for something that was not there and none of them were harmed. I think home invasion is a rare event and hopefully will never occur. I spend much more money on house insurance in the rare event my home should burn.

I have a bit of land and so a threat to neighbors from my defending myself is small. It is probably less a threat than the rifle fire from hunters.

In upgrading a home invasion scenario from a single person to a small gang I have considered it in whole. The vest is a small but important aspect. I am not discussing all aspects of what I have done but simply the vest.

I thank everyone for all of the suggestions and help. This site is so helpful for the depth and breath of information and ideas.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
OK, you're posting about two pistols with two 33 mags, plus whatever else.  If you are looking at putting that much ordnance downrange, you are either looking at lots of failures to stop, or supressing, or lots of goblins.  Having two pistols isn't going to stop any of that.  Supressing is a no-no, and if you are really looking at large numbers of goblins, pistols isn't the solution to that either.  Back to the fail to stop, you would be better off with a rifle.
As for the CTD vest, what others have said is true.  There is a reason its cheap.  If this really is gear that you are getting because you are honestly worried about a home invasion by enough bangers that you think you need two pistols and 66 ready rounds, you might want to solve the prob through other means.
There's a whole lot that doesn't make sense here, but then that seems to be a trend recently on Arfcom.

Although I was originally thinking of carrying both 9mm Glocks with 33 round mags on the vest, I have changed my mind (as stated above). In a home invasion scenario of 3 or 4 people invading one's home the odds have to be stacked in the favor of the home owner. Part of this is superior firepower. As I said, my primary weapon is an AR-15. The Glock is for BU.

There are other steps I have taken. What other means would you suggest to defend oneself against this type of threat? What does not make sense to you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
[snip]
Just to clarify you have an AR15 and two Glock handguns. How many magazines do you have for each?

AR15:
Glock 17 round:
Glock 33 round:

Do you want to carry all of them or do you want to have some hidden with the second Glock somewhere else in the house? Having all your gear in one place is a bad idea. If the SHTF and you're on the wrong side of the house what do you do?

A good point was made about not using suppressive fire. While it works great in war, doing it in a neighborhood could kill a lot of innocent people. Training so the first few rounds does the trick is the best bet.

I have multiple magazines for my AR15, 17 & 33 round magazines for my 9mm Glocks, and for my .40S&W Glock. One concern that I have is the democrats gaining power again and limiting our ability to defend ourselves once again.

Although there is debate on whether a revolver or a semi-auto is more reliable, in my personal experience I have had jams with my semi-autos but never a problem with my pistols. I keep .357s around the house should I need them to get to my primary weapons.

I do not know what is meant by "suppressive fire". I would continue to fire as rapidly and accurately as possible to stop all of the BGs hopefully before they stopped me. I agree that training is important.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There are other steps I have taken. What other means would you suggest to defend oneself against this type of threat? What does not make sense to you?

You don't need a vest, and to suggest it as a useful tool for home invasion is lunacy... As one member above mentioned, you will not have time to get to it and put it on, as Murphy's law demands that it will always be at the fartherst point from you if and when said gang kicks your door in.

If you really want my suggestions on what to do with this type of possible threat, here you go:

1) Set-up "caches" in the high-traffic areas of your house... That is, the places where you and your family spend the most amount of time, i.e. bedroom, living/family room, etc. The caches dont need to be fancy, they just need to work... A shoebox (literally), that wont draw unwanted attention would be great, and would be large enough to hold a pistol and several extra magazines, a flashlight or two, cellphone (see item 3) etc.

2) Have a plan for you and your family.. That is, if something happens, your wife knows to retreat to the bonus room upstairs, or whatever location in your house affords you a vantage point and will buy you even a few seconds of valuable time.

3) Put cordless phones in and around your house. As part of having a plan (see item 2), make it someone's responsibility to make sure the phones stay in working order and that it it someone's job to call the police, sherriff, etc. Having a cell phone or three as back-up might be a good idea also (see item 1).

4) GET TRAINING. AND THEN GET SOME MORE... It's foolish to think you have any advantage over someone or several someones simply because it is "your house"... You are dealing with criminal, violent people who have overcome the basic rules and morality us law-abiding citizens walk around with everyday. Watching movies is not going to help you.As EGGROLLY said, dont use medical condition as an excuse - if this is really important to you, you wil find a way to do it right.

I know my suggetions are not as cool or instantly gratifying as buying some cool new piece of gear, but they are my honest advice. The more classes I attend, the more educated people I talk to, and the older, more mature I get the less gear I seem to have, want, or need. If you dont have the basic skills or basic understanding of how dynamic a real home invasion is, that vest is not going to help you.

Stay safe,
Clint
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Just curious...........do you live on the ground floor or upper story? In an invasion scenario, someone kicks open a door or throws a garden paver thru your sliding glass door............how much time do you think you'll have to don a vest, fasten/clip fas-tek buckles, release velcro straps around gun, draw weapon of choice, stage in strategic location and answer threat? At three in the AM.

I've had alarm magnets fall off my rear door and activate the alrm at O'dark:thirty. I live in a ranch-house. It was all I could to get my gun w/ rail lite, wake up enough and get between possible threat and my family. I knew what it probably was but had to follow my procedure, just in case.

I'm thinking you won't have time for fancy stuff.  

Remember, K.I.S.S.  

ps.......I'm used to being forced awake by loud noises and people talking in the middle of the night.  (see my avatar)

If you are a fireman than thanks; so was my dad. He was trying to put out fires in Detroit when people were shooting at him during the riots. He bought me my first 9mm Baretta for self-defense years ago. As a kid I would go hunting with him.

I do not want to go into all the details of my HD system but I would know if someone was around the house. Although it does give false positive alarms from time to time this does give me a chance to train for the real thing. I have a semi-safe section of the house that if I can get to it, I may not even need weapons. It would give me plenty of time to awaken, don the vest, and pick up my AR15.

Thanks for the ideas but I have thought about those problems and prepared for them. Since most of this upgraded HD system is now done, I sleep better at night.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You don't need a vest, and to suggest it as a useful tool for home invasion is lunacy... As one member above mentioned, you will not have time to get to it and put it on, as Murphy's law demands that it will always be at the fartherst point from you if and when said gang kicks your door in.

If you really want my suggestions on what to do with this type of possible threat, here you go:

1) Set-up "caches" in the high-traffic areas of your house... That is, the places where you and your family spend the most amount of time, i.e. bedroom, living/family room, etc. The caches dont need to be fancy, they just need to work... A shoebox (literally), that wont draw unwanted attention would be great, and would be large enough to hold a pistol and several extra magazines, a flashlight or two, cellphone (see item 3) etc.

2) Have a plan for you and your family.. That is, if something happens, your wife knows to retreat to the bonus room upstairs, or whatever location in your house affords you a vantage point and will buy you even a few seconds of valuable time.

3) Put cordless phones in and around your house. As part of having a plan (see item 2), make it someone's responsibility to make sure the phones stay in working order and that it it someone's job to call the police, sherriff, etc. Having a cell phone or three as back-up might be a good idea also (see item 1).

4) GET TRAINING. AND THEN GET SOME MORE... It's foolish to think you have any advantage over someone or several someones simply because it is "your house"... You are dealing with criminal, violent people who have overcome the basic rules and morality us law-abiding citizens walk around with everyday. Watching movies is not going to help you.As EGGROLLY said, dont use medical condition as an excuse - if this is really important to you, you wil find a way to do it right.

I know my suggetions are not as cool or instantly gratifying as buying some cool new piece of gear, but they are my honest advice. The more classes I attend, the more educated people I talk to, and the older, more mature I get the less gear I seem to have, want, or need. If you dont have the basic skills or basic understanding of how dynamic a real home invasion is, that vest is not going to help you.

Stay safe,
Clint

Your ideas are good ones and they have been thought of and planned for. I think education and training is important. I do not know of any local training on HD. Except for this thread I have not seen any comprehensive discussion about HD. Since this thread is about a vest, would it be useful somewhere on this site to have a place to discuss HD?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a vest to carry a BU gun and extra mags is a good idea. We will have to disagree on that one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Have you considered a dog as part of your HD arsenal?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Have you considered a dog as part of your HD arsenal?

Another good thought. Yes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I had another thought, you will need to identify any intruders.

Any thought towards lights, lasers, or even night vision?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I had another thought, you will need to identify any intruders.

Any thought towards lights, lasers, or even night vision?

I have thought about this and discussed it locally with LE and others. We are talking about a nighttime scenario. Everyone's situation is different. For example, mine would be if I had children around. One of my concerns is a LE raid on my house by mistake. Although I think this unlikely, it would not be possible to tell if it was LE. I can see BGs invading a home shouting they were LE.

I do not think night vision would be useful here as everything would be fast and rapid. The problem with lights and lasers is that they give away one's position.

The best I have been able to come up with is having the outside lights come on. This would silhouette the BGs. I would just have to assume any penetration of my home would be BGs. I am not totally comfortable with this as the last thing I would want to do is shoot LE because I thought they are BGs.

Any other thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#46]
To put things in perspective, this degree of home security should only be considered once one has a fair degree of other forms of security. Do not waste time and money on this unless you first have insurance, a fair amount of financial security, etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#47]
This may or may not help you, but I won't question your reasons or make fun of your legitimate sounding question.  Personally, I use a vest for IPSC 3 gun competition, so my requirements may actually exceed yours [3 types of ammo].

#1 Ditch the 33 round mags and buy standard length ones [unless those are 2 glock 18's you have there]  The 33's look cool, but even the least trained among us can execute a reload in less time than it takes to clear the 33 rounders jams.

#2  I have that same junky CTD vest that has been linked above.   Personally I modified mine as follows:
I Removed the holster and the Left upper pouch.  The holster was crappy, and the pouch was both in the way, and too small to hold anything useful.  In place of the holster I Velcroed and eventually sewed two strips of shotgun shell loops.  
I cut and re-sewed the flaps on the 3 pistol pouches on the left breast, to accomadate longer mags.
In place of that junky belt that they wanted to sell with it [with the 2 pistol pouches]  I substituted a Bianchi belt [with the velcro inner belt] a real belt holster, and real belt magazine holders.  

I can carry a pistol, 9 Pistol mags, 4 rifle mags and 25 shotshells in relative comfort.  They are all secure enough to pass the old IPSC somersault test.  

I guess the answer to your question might actually be the Molle Gear, unless you are able to perform your own sewing.  If you can sew or know someone, then the CTD vest is a good enough deal, then you can modify it to fit your needs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#48]
1)  If you are getting the Eagle vest, or the Blackhawk direct rip off, get the standard six mag pouch version rather than the three on one side and a holster on the other.  The mag pouches make excellent GLOCK 17 holsters.

2) 33 rounders suck.  They can get in the way when firing over concealment/cover.  Plus, if you need to reholster to free up a hand or transition to sometng else, they are REALLY unweildy.  

3) Nothing wrong with having all your gear together and ready to roll.  If I didn't have kids, I would rather have my pistol in a vest with spare mags and a few lights (one on the rail and a seperate hand held) right next to the bed than having the pistol in a keypad safe next to the bed, as I do now.

4)  If you have gang problems, apperantly the best way to handle it is to kidnap the girlfriend of one the members, then rape her with your mom cheering you on.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
just my 2 cents...

Home Invasion is best dealt with by shotgun- its that simple.

This is not the movies - vests good for nothing but to carry extra gear distances and hold armor.

We all know that most body shots by small rifle and handguns will not stop an attacker in his tracks if he is seriously motivated-

Nothing stops a man within 30' range (home invasion) as fast as a shotgun
- #4 shot, 00Buck, 000 Buck- whatever -
Think about what your trying to do- Stop the man/men as fast as you can.

I use my handgun as a def. weapon near the bed in order to travel to my loaded shotgun
(old 590 with side saddle and speedfed stockh
just my take on the topic.

+ if you ever shot the perp -later in court how would you feel when the DA made you don the vest in front of the whole court room and the jury???
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#50]
My current thinking is to keep one 33 round Glock factory mag in the gun with 17 rd mags in the vest. I had not heard that the 33 rd mags had jamming problems. I will raise this in the Handgun section. If they do then I would consider my Glock .40S&W instead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top