Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 11:01:56 AM EDT
So, youve got your tac vest all prepped with X amount of mags and ammo. But for SHTF, you want to take all your extras So, is there any peice of gear that can hold a good bit of AR mags and/or .45mags. Im not really sure what Im lookin for here.  My tac vest holds 4 pistol mags and 8 AR mags. My Line 3 (alice pack) has no weapon support as of right now. Im jus thinking outloud here. lol.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use an ammo can for your vehicle, or put the extra mags in your pack...or cache them somehow.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Claymore bags make excellent magazine bags. You can get 9 or 10 mags into one bag.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Or a SAW ammo pouch.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Diamondback Tactical makes a cool EE bag
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]

ANyone have this bag, its the Diamondback Tactical EE bag like post above here? Jus wondering how much room is inside, etc.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 USGI magazine pouches zip-tied to the lower part of my ALICE pack.  Holds 12 mags total, and they're not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Or you could run an Eggroll 6 or 9 packer on your ruck or assault pack
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]
i have the d.b.t. bag , it's got a fair amount of room in it but not what i'd call alot of room . it's kind of like the size of a med/large purse with room for 6 mags on the outside.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Search the Lightfighter forums for reviews on the bag.  I know someone did a good in-depth review of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]
my LBE setup has room for 12 loaded mags, and extra boxed ammo.

If it is a true SHTF then I also have extra ammo loaded into my pack and in ammo cans.
Car carry is a possibility.

My gear will be very heavy until I get to an area to setup shelter and then cache the supplies.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
For now, I've got a $15 "tool" bag (Fox Outdoor Products), that has 6 external AR mag poickets on the outside and a zippered main compartment.  Not 10)% tactical, other than OD green, but it will carry a supplemental/sustainment load.

After that, It's an ammo can.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For now, I've got a $15 "tool" bag (Fox Outdoor Products), that has 6 external AR mag poickets on the outside and a zippered main compartment.  Not 10)% tactical, other than OD green, but it will carry a supplemental/sustainment load.

www.foxoutdoor.com/product_fx/images/large/4262.jpg

Yeah I had that same bag only in Black and it was the PVC plastic type. I wouldnt mind getting the nylon/cloth version of that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I had that same bag only in Black and it was the PVC plastic type. I wouldnt mind getting the nylon/cloth version of that.

Mine is cotton.
It seems durable, but I won't overload it.
I tried to load it up (6 loaded mags, 2 x 300rnd SA battlepacks, 5 loaded Glock 22 mags, 5 loaded P226 mags) and I didn't think it would stand up to that weight.
But, for $15 it was a pretty good deal.

Go to their site and check out their other stuff.www.foxoutdoor.com
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I asked one of my shooting buddies that same question.  This guy used in be in the Rangers and then the SF, lot of combat experience.  I figured with all that experience he would know the best way to carry extra ammo if the SHTF - my LBE fully loaded can carry 12 mags.

He just shook his head and laughed, then asked me if I really expected to be still alive if things were so bad that I had to go through that much ammo in a semi-automatic weapon.  I really didn't know what to say to that....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Make a special harness that fits on your dog's back with pouches for mags that hang over the sides
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I asked one of my shooting buddies that same question.  This guy used in be in the Rangers and then the SF, lot of combat experience.  I figured with all that experience he would know the best way to carry extra ammo if the SHTF - my LBE fully loaded can carry 12 mags.

He just shook his head and laughed, then asked me if I really expected to be still alive if things were so bad that I had to go through that much ammo in a semi-automatic weapon.  I really didn't know what to say to that....

You have a good point - but what if your second line only carries 6 mags?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah!

Heck, I'll bet you could have gone through half a dozen mags pretty quickly and still survived during the Rodney King riots in LA or even in NOLA after Katrina.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

^^this is what i'm wondering.  

on top of food, water, medical supplies etc, can you carry everything?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#19]
My 1st line carries one 20rd mag, and three 13rd G23 mags. My 2nd line carries eight 30rd mags. My 3rd line carries all extra mags I may have, either in backpack compartments or in single mag pouches I have attached to the webbing. Other mags are kept in the rifle's soft case, which is something that is easily thrown into my vehicle should I be getting out of the area.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My 1st line carries one 20rd mag, and three 13rd G23 mags. My 2nd line carries eight 30rd mags. My 3rd line carries all extra mags I may have, either in backpack compartments or in single mag pouches I have attached to the webbing. Other mags are kept in the rifle's soft case, which is something that is easily thrown into my vehicle should I be getting out of the area.

yeah that is alot like my thinking on the matter

This is setup for BOV, etc. My Line 1, 2 and 3 will have its own supply of mags. I keep the case loaded as a resupply type point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
That is a sweet little setup.

You have room for more AR mags, though.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Well that dead space is for optics. I was goin to get an Eotech AA model with ACcucam mount. But undecided if I wanna even mess with the optics. If I dont get optics, Ill cut the spot out for cleaning kit, spare complete bolt/carrier and anything else I deem to fit in there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Good thinkin'!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Pile them in your ruck/assault pack in some sort of bandoleer. If you're in that prolonged a fight, you're going to have some kind of decent cover to hide behind, and unless you're a total Rambo you'll have a buddy or four to cover suppressive fire while you fish out more mags.

I walk with ten mags now, not counting the one in the rifle. Was set up for 16, including six in the MOLLE bandoleer in my assault pack last tour. Turned out to be way overkill when added onto the radio, the aid bag, and the other stuff I had to hump around. If the S is HTF, you'll either be in a defensive position or evading. Going in for a pitched infantry assault will NOT be your game unless they're between you and your way out and the odds are good.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1 I have several of these type bags. Throw it over your neck and off you go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top