Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 10:48:54 PM EDT
Hey, all:

I recently installed an M4-style stock on my house gun.  Previously I'd kept a spare 30rd mag on the gun with a mag pouch that mounted on my M16A1 stock, so I thought I'd do the same with a product made for collapsible stocks (I picked the Specter Gear version).

The pouch is well made, but it's not going to work for me.  I use the stock collapsed to the first notch from closed, and in that position the strap that holds the pouch on the stock won't allow the charging handle to move.  After consulting with Specter Gear (great customer service, BTW), I'd need to extend the stock further to use their pouch.  

So ... given all of that, do you have any suggestions for a similar pouch that will work okay with the stock collapsed all the way or at the first notch?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you completely opposed to a mag-cinch sort of device?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Spec Ops makes one
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Spec Ops makes one

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you completely opposed to a mag-cinch sort of device?

I hadn't thought of it, actually.  I will consider, but the pouch is also so I can leave the gun "unloaded" and still have a mag with it ready to go.  With a mag cinch or readi-mag, I'd lose that.

It's certainly worth considering, though!  Thanks for the reminder!

Quoted:
Spec Ops makes one

I'll check it out, thanks!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay ... I got the one made by Spec.-Ops and it's really nice.  I was concerned that when mounted in the "T-Bone" configuration it would interfere with my cheek weld and/or mounting the gun, but it doesn't at all.  It's unlikely I'll ever have to use the rifle with it on there, but it's good to know it won't get in the way.

Thanks again for the advice!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use the stock collapsed to the first notch from closed, and in that position the strap that holds the pouch on the stock won't allow the charging handle to move.  

My Blackhawk mag pouch does the same thing.

Nice to keep another mag with the rifle though.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My Blackhawk mag pouch does the same thing.

Nice to keep another mag with the rifle though.

Yeah, I have a Blackhawk (pre-Vietnam manufacture) that I had on my A1 stock for a long time and it never got in the way of anything.  I didn't realize I'd be introducing a new problem when I installed the collapsible stock, but for now it's solved.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]

(pre-Vietnam manufacture)

Where'd they used to manufacture it from?  I accidently bought a whole new set-up in OD not realizing it was vietnam made.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know ... I just looked for a label and couldn't find one.  I just know that it was from years "before" everyone started talking about their stuff being made in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Specter Gear mag pouch. It works pretty well, but as has already been said, it gets in the way of the charging handle. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and took it off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a look at a ReadiMag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, unless you're rigging it to jump with or have it in a really confined space, your collapsing stock should be extended. Certainly extended to fire the thing. Mine's normally one or two clicks in to account for the thickness of body armor at the shoulder. At that point, the forward strap of the pouch (I use a Specter, back from when they were still CQB Solutions in '03) becomes much less of an issue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, unless you're rigging it to jump with or have it in a really confined space, your collapsing stock should be extended. Certainly extended to fire the thing. Mine's normally one or two clicks in to account for the thickness of body armor at the shoulder. At that point, the forward strap of the pouch (I use a Specter, back from when they were still CQB Solutions in '03) becomes much less of an issue.

With all due respect, we all have to fit the stock to our bodies (including gear) and our shooting style.  For me, the first position (past fully collapsed) on the M4-style stock is perfect and allows me to have "nose to charging handle" with the gun mounted.  It stays there all the time.  

A2 and A1 stocks are both too long for me, and an extended collapsible would be the same length.  For what it's worth, I do not use a conventional rifleman's hold, which would make it easier to use a longer (or more extended) stock.  I mount the gun on my pec with my upper body squared toward the target/threat.  Another set-up that works for me is one of the stubby "entry" stocks plus a one inch spacer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Slap one of these on the rail:  Rail mounted mag pouch

I picked one up for use in 3 gun matches.  Seems to work OK.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Slap one of these on the rail:  Rail mounted mag pouch

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/100001739.jpg

I picked one up for use in 3 gun matches.  Seems to work OK.

I was waiting for something like that... combined with the magpul M93A2/B side rails, that would kinda cool (I wonder if it would work?).

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:04:34 AM EDT
[#16]
That is pretty cool.  I don't have rails on any of my guns, though.  If I did, that would be an excellent choice.

The gun in question is kind of crowded on the fore end because I have a "gooseneck" mount (a Bennie Cooley adjustable) hanging from the carry handle with an EOTech on it.  If not for that, I'd have just used a piece of inner tube to put a mag on the fore end and been done with it (a low tech version of the kydex rail mounted carrier).

Another cool thing I've seen is a forward vertical grip that holds a magazine.  I'm not sure how they work, but if they look like an interesting idea.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Mind the weight guys when considering the options.  It adds up and must be accounted for if you are going to use the gun for anything practical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top