Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 7:24:51 AM EDT
The Brits had a jump on us with their DPM cammo, which was developed in the late 1950's and was so good it was never changed, and once fielded became general issue. Our ERDL cammo did not come out untill later and was not issued on a large scale until we were in a war and it was needed. Woodland was ERDL pattern enlarged 1.4X in size and was the first time since WW2 the standard US field uniform was cammo. My series (3066) in USMC boot camp (June 1983) was the first to be issed Woodland BDUs; the recruits in the series before us had ERDLs.

So, which do you think was better? DPM and ERDL are Small-element patterns and Woodland is Large, which some think is important as far as distance viewing is concerned.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I always thought there wasa neglible difference. The DPM pants are cut alot better IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How about ARPAT?

Just kidding.  Actually, TAG.

FWIW, it seemed to me that DPM used brighter colors, while the Woodland seemed to use darker, more subdued colors.  For this reason I would go with the Woodland, but there are situation where one would be better than the other - depends on the charachter of the vegitation/and climate.  Seems to me that the pertinant vegitation for this discussion would be that found in Western and Central Europe.  As such I think I would lean toward Woodland.  In warmer climes with moresun and lighter vegiation I would pick DPM.  Of course, I could be (probably am) FOS.  

Anyone please feel free to correct me.

-K
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No one else?

The earlier DPMs had brighter "Tan" in the pattern, which was later darkened, or else there were just batch-to-batch variations. Or at least the earlier ones seemed to be lighter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Not that it is really a test, but I do notice that I find it  harder to figure out where all the parts of the uniform are (sleeves, legs, etc.) when DPM is thrown in a pile vs. Woodland.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump.

-K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top