Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 1:16:10 PM EDT
From personal experience or stories from friends, what do you think is better?  What do you think their pros and cons are?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the expected threat? If rifle fire only, then a plate carrier. If pistol and rifle, and/or shrapnel from explosives, then an armor vest with plate pockets.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Mainly rifle.  Makes sense.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I know there is debate here, but IMO, you should always wear soft armor under your plates.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know there is debate here, but IMO, you should always wear soft armor under your plates.

I have no experiance, but a man much wiser then myself once said, wear all the body armor you can stand. He also pointed out to me that soft armor will stop a rifle round that has decelerated because it went though a door or a car or  the operator in front of you.(hey thats how he put it to me)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#5]
What are some good armored vests with room for plates and MOLLE loops throughout?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Well not to complicate it, but how do you intend to use this?

There are sooo many choices it kind of depends on the role of the vest.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is the expected threat? If rifle fire only, then a plate carrier. If pistol and rifle, and/or shrapnel from explosives, then an armor vest with plate pockets.

+1

consider the amount of weight and restriction of movement
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

consider the amount of weight and restriction of movement

Let me add something to that.  I didn't just edit because I want it to show as new.  If you do just get a plate carrier, make sure the plates are "stand alone." Meaning that they will stop the rated rounds by themselves.  There are some that work in conjunction with soft armor, and it's the soft armor that stop the actual bullet.  The plate just slows it, and breaks it up enough that the soft armor can stop it.
If you are able to buy one, the IBA is a good one, MOLLE webbing, equivalent to level IIIA, and has plate pockets built in.  Actually pretty comfortable to wear too.  Brigade Quartermasters has them, but you have to be military, law enforcement, a journalist, or maybe a security contractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top