Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:38:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for a gear setup that will allow me to carry what I need, but still allow me the use of a large/heavy ruck.  I found that the US Military LBV is the most comfortable setup for me by itself, but it wouldn't work well with the straps - especially the sternum strap - on a back pack.  The mag pouches got in the way.  By a ruck, I mean a large ALICE, Blackhawk SOF ruck, or Blackhawk 3 day assault pack.  I could go back to the old TA-50 LBE, but I would prefer to stay with the newer MOLLE stuff.  

Does anyone have any reccomendations?  My biggest concern is being able to comfortably wear the ruck along with everything else I want to hang on the MOLLE vest/harness.  Thanks!

-K
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you going to be doing?  Is it for MIL/LEO?  classes?  Airsoft?  Gear today is so specialized that it is hard to make recommendations without knowing the mission.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The MOLLE II vest from SDS should work well with a pack IMHO.

lightfighter.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=SDS-027!014&csurl=/istar.asp?a%3D3%26dept%3DLOADCA%26manufacturer%3D014%26sortby%3D%26numperpage%3D28

There is also an older version with thinner straps that go around the back of your neck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are you going to be doing?  Is it for MIL/LEO?  classes?  Airsoft?  Gear today is so specialized that it is hard to make recommendations without knowing the mission.

My main purpose will be along the light infantry lines.  It's going to be a setup for a SHTF type of scenario where I have to be able to move with me the things I need to survive, while keeping the looters etc from taking what I have away from me.  

bjwar - thanks for the link!  Looks like it's all sold out, but I do have a Gen 1 MOLLE vest that might work OK too.  Ill look into it, but I think I'm looking for something different.  Hell, I guess I really don't know what the hell I'm looking for.

-K
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on what you plan to carry in your vest and how much of it; I would say that either a chest pouch system or plate carrier setup would be ideal.  The reason is that it keeps everything in front so that things aren't conflicting with your waist strap from the pack.  This setup also raises everything above the beltline which will be more comfortable (nothing sucks more than wearing strap on top of strap for 16 hours a day).  Another advantage of this type of rig is that it is side-closing which keeps all the PALs real estate on the front, not wasting room for buckles and fasteners.  

Anywho, I would suggest either a Weesatch (or a Wasatch if you've been hitting the donuts too much) made by High Speed Gear Inc. or the Rhodesian Recon Vest by Eagle.

The Weesatch has a lot of versatility in that the internal magazine compartments can carry a variety of magazines for various calibers with its adjustable retention straps.  The whole front surcface is covered in PALs to allow you to place any MOLLE-type pouch you want right on top of your mags.  It is a plate carrier, so you can drop in hard ceramic or SAPI plates in the front and back.  Another feature you would be interested in because of your pack situation is the fact that you can remove the rear compartment and run the shoulder straps crisscrossed over your back and attach them to the tri-glide buckles on the side of the front panel.  If you opt to wear the back panel, I would highly suggest getting the enhanced shoulder straps at SKD Tactical as well as the HSGI Shoulder Pads.

I haven't had personal experience with the Eagle Rhodesian Recon Vest, but from what I've read, those who have it like it.  It has pretty much all the same benefits as the HSGI Weesatch, except it doesn't come with a back panel (one can be purchased seperately) and it has no internal mag pouches.  All mag pouches and accessories must be bought seperately.  The benefit of this is more customized loadout at the expense of, well... more expense.  

Both HSGI and Eagle have stellar reputations and make bombproof gear.  Both companies are made in the USA!  Both of these rigs also allow you to tuck the bib down/behind the sternum area if you aren't using plates.  Check out these links:

http://skdtac.com/category.asp?CATEGORYID=163

http://skdtac.com/item.asp?ItemID=SKD6477&PRICE=175&CategoryNum=187

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm kinda partial to the Eagle Tac V1-MS, see here: eagleindustries.com/mainprod.asp?scv=0

I find that I can get 4 Paraclete dual M4 mag pouches up front, with room on the left for accessory pouches (removeable barrel light and batteries). I keep the right side clear to make it easier to draw my pistol (don' t have a holster yet, but will). I'll put the pistol mag pouches on the belt, left side.

With the pouches I have, you can put 1 in each (4 total), and still use the prone position effectively. With 2 in each (8 total), it gets dicey.

I tried the setup with a small pack, with no problems. Haven't tried a full sized backpacking type pack yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies!  I'll take a closer look at them.  I'll be headed up to Bradleys near Ft Drum over the weekend, and I know they carry alot of that stuff too.  It will be a good thing to try stuff on before I commit to it.  I've heard alot of good things about Eagle too, and they look like they may be my best bet.  Thanks!

Anyone else want to chime in?  

-K
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
take a look at military moron's site for some great reviews and pics of gear.

www.militarymorons.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top