Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 4:57:28 AM EDT

These are issue flight gloves that I am speaking of.  I recently got another pair (size 9 just like the last 3 pairs have been) and they are just a touch too big...mostly in the fingers.  Anybody ever tried to shrink a pair?  I'm not sure if it is even possible.

I did soak them in hot water and then put them in the dryer on medium but that didn't seem to work.  Any thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
In a word, NO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
i have never understood the concept of wearing flight gloves if your not a pilot. ok , if you were old school before they had "tactical" gloves, ok. Flight gloves are fuzzy, dont grip well , get worn out easy,dont fit snug. Get a pair of oakley,Solag or something that fits snug and has wrist retension system of some sort. Right now BH has a sale on their water op gloves for 18 bucks, they grip very well and fit like a second skin.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a pair that I shoot in sometimes but they are extremely tight..a real good fit.  I use mine mostly as liners under thick leather gloves when I'm clearing brush and around burn piles.  You can pick up a white hot piece of wood and not have to worry about that delayed heat coming through the leather gloves.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
In a second word, definitely NO!! Be careful on what new gloves you end up with. If you are looking for a a very snug fit, but want to retain all feeling of your weapon DON'T but the Blackhawk SOLAG. This is a great glove but not for shooting. This glove is very bulky and is not a shooting glove. Even if you trim the finger line off, the bulk of the glove, especially in the palm, is not suitable as a shooting glove. I lent my gloves to two other guys on my team who came up with the same results. Nicely made but not meant as a sensitive shooting glove. I currently use the Ringers tactical gauntlet style gloves. I'm not sure if Ringer still makes them but they are it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i have never understood the concept of wearing flight gloves if your not a pilot. ok , if you were old school before they had "tactical" gloves, ok. Flight gloves are fuzzy, dont grip well , get worn out easy,dont fit snug. Get a pair of oakley,Solag or something that fits snug and has wrist retension system of some sort. Right now BH has a sale on their water op gloves for 18 bucks, they grip very well and fit like a second skin.

because they are made of Nomex and they will protect your hands very well.

btw,my flight gloves fit my hands perfectly
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Flight/Nomex gloves are popular with the Mil guys cause we could get them thru supply and DX them when they get torn up. Most Mil guys don't spent a lot of money on stuff they can get from Uncle Sam. I have been using the CVC Nomex version  of the flight glove for well over 10 years because of the Nomex protection and the leather palm gives you good dexterity and grips well.  Since I still have a few pairs, I never felt the need to switch over to the new brands that are out on the market. Mine always fit great, wore just as well as any other hard use glove I ever owned and gave me the dexterity to squeeze of a 120MM rd from the Commanders override from time to time ..
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
My issued flight gloves DID shrink when dryed the first time.

B_S
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The leather area can snug up a bit, but generally do not shrink.

Really think through what you are buying and what the real purpose is. For CDI factor or zombie killing, anything will do. If you are using them in combat or around any explosive/flammable items, stick with kevlar or nomex.

Look closely at what Oakley, Mechanix, etc. are made of. Anywhere the rubber, plastic, spandex, nylon, velcro, etc. etc. touches your skin, is an area of flesh you will lose when you are exposed to high temperatures.

The burn injuries coming out of the sandbox are nasty. Losing fingers is pretty common in burns. Good gloves can prevent this, bad gloves will guarantee they are coming off.

Think about this with all your gear. Polypro neck gators and hoods are another common item that are available in kevlar or nomex.  Think about what your polypro hood will melt to, or think about what your kevlar hood can protect.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My issued flight gloves DID shrink when dryed the first time.

B_S

Did they shrink a bunch or just a little bit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top