Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 10:54:20 AM EDT
Someone used to make long side pouches specifically for the ALICE pack(s) but I cant seem to find them. Does anyone know where to find these?

I just spent over an hour using yahoo/google etc: and came up empty can anyone help me out?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen side pouches for ALICE packs (no room).
Are you thinking of the Eagle A-III pouches?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the Large ALICE has webbing to attach extra pockets on the sides, not sure about the Medium.  

Ranger Joe's:  Add - A-Pouch Ruck Extension - Long Olive Drab
Blackhawk:  Modular Add-a-Pouch - Large OD Green
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an ALICE Large that I had modified about 1990 at a shop near Fort Bragg, NC.  I had them give me all the options available which included adding 2 large long zippered pouches to each side near the top, adding 2 shorter pockets inboard the large ones with the 3 integral snap pouches between them, taking the top cover/map pouch and making it into a day pack with an additional pouch they called "The Claymore" because of it's shape and size, adding  cinch straps to cinch in 2 quart canteens that could be attached on each side low on the pack, adding eyelets to allow the pack to be attached to a civilian style frame and finally cutting around the bottom and adding a YKK zipper to allow you to remove something from the bottom of the pack.  I still have and use this pack - it has served me well -  some of the best money I've ever spent.  

The nice thing is it looks like a standard ALICE Large, unless you look closely.  I've never caught hell for not being "uniform".

I don't know if there is anyone around that can do modifications like this today.

One problem about add-on pouches using ALICE style clips is that the pouches flop around.  Making a permanent, sew-on modification eliminates that problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have an ALICE Large that I had modified about 1990 at a shop near Fort Bragg, NC.  I had them give me all the options available which included adding 2 large long zippered pouches to each side near the top, adding 2 shorter pockets inboard the large ones with the 3 integral snap pouches between them, taking the top cover/map pouch and making it into a day pack with an additional pouch they called "The Claymore" because of it's shape and size, adding  cinch straps to cinch in 2 quart canteens that could be attached on each side low on the pack, adding eyelets to allow the pack to be attached to a civilian style frame and finally cutting around the bottom and adding a YKK zipper to allow you to remove something from the bottom of the pack.  I still have and use this pack - it has served me well -  some of the best money I've ever spent.  

The nice thing is it looks like a standard ALICE Large, unless you look closely.  I've never caught hell for not being "uniform".

I don't know if there is anyone around that can do modifications like this today.

One problem about add-on pouches using ALICE style clips is that the pouches flop around.  Making a permanent, sew-on modification eliminates that problem.

There's always the Tactical Taylor MALICE modifications that will give you one side with a long pocket, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys always come through-

Thanks and welcome Warleader
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You can also get the Tactical Tailor pockets/pouches done ala' carte.  Just pick and choose which ones you want done.
I've been thinking about having MOLLE webbing put on mine since I have a few pockets that can be used and they wouldn't flop around like ALICE clipped pouches do.  I've used those extend-a-pouches and they do flop all over the place.  I added some compression straps (ok, not really, I just took some long nylon straps that have Fastex buckles and wrapped them around my ruck, but works about the same) and those help the bouncing, but they still aren't nearly as secure or stable as MOLLE webbing or sewing on would be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top