Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 9:52:51 AM EDT
.....Or is it something else that works like Gortex??

I just received some gear described as Gortex, but its tagged as PTFE nylon, similar but not the same as far as I know. When I asked the guy I got it from he got pretty pissy, so if anybody can give some info I'd appreciate it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is Gore-tex. Gore-tex is a brand name but PTFE nylon is the generic name. Only difference is in price
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
When its new it comes with the Gore-Tex tags on it and some items like the Gen II ECWCS, APEC and Bivy sack you can see the Gore-tex markings stamped on the fabric.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
And Gortex isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I have lots of it and find it lacking.

Go to Wiggys.com and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, you guys are fast today. Appreciate the info.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And Gortex isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I have lots of it and find it lacking.

Go to Wiggys.com and see for yourself.

Although I would agree Gore-Tex is not an end all and be all fabric, Wiggy has an agenda and often doesn't let fact get in the way of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
And remember that the Gore-Tex patent has run out.
Other manufacturers, especially store brands like Cabela's and Gander Mountain, carry the generic version of it.  Same difference between Cordura and the generic stuff, it depends upon the manufacturer.

The biggest problems with Gore-Tex are;
1.  Delamination of the Gore-Tex fabric from the shell and,
2.  Faulty seams what fail to join two larger sections of Gore-Tex.

Look at the outside of the shell for a bubbled appearance.  Delamination can cause the Gore-Tex to wear and leak.  Seams are a little harder to check.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And remember that the Gore-Tex patent has run out.
Other manufacturers, especially store brands like Cabela's and Gander Mountain, carry the generic version of it.  Same difference between Cordura and the generic stuff, it depends upon the manufacturer.

The biggest problems with Gore-Tex are;
1.  Delamination of the Gore-Tex fabric from the shell and,
2.  Faulty seams what fail to join two larger sections of Gore-Tex.

Look at the outside of the shell for a bubbled appearance.  Delamination can cause the Gore-Tex to wear and leak.  Seams are a little harder to check.

Cabelas version called Dry-plus has 2 versions. One is a membrane and the other is a fabric treatment. Unfortunately it dosen't tell you which one it has
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]
If you buy used, make sure to clean it thoroughly first.  I bought a 1stGen ECWCS top that must have been used by a mechanic or somebody, because it stunk like grease.  No structural issues, but it leaked in several places.  For some reason, after I washed it in my clotheswasher (hot cycle, Tide), it has been fine ever since.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Be careful on detergents for Gore-Tex washing. Some will clog the pores and ruin it
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Be careful on detergents for Gore-Tex washing. Some will clog the pores and ruin it

What detergents do you use/avoid to clean Gortex?

Bob
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure to rinse it thoroughly.  If your washer has an extra rinse cycle use that to be certain.  Some washers only have a single rinse cycle.

Grease and oils will clog the pores and make them leak like crazy, keep it clean.

And when the water no longer beads on the surface, it doesn't mean water is leaking through.  That is just a durable water repellant on the surface to help keep the surface fabric from getting soaked which reduces the breathability.  It's still stopping water from getting in, but it's not breathing as well.  Using detergents will cause the DWR to wear off sooner and an actual washing soap is recommended.  And detergents if not rinsed completely out will act to draw in moisture.  Something about how they work, and why they are better than soap for cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What detergents do you use/avoid to clean Gortex?

Bob

I have to check but I believe most are fine, It's the fabric softener/detergents combos that will clog the pores. They sell washes specifically for gore-tex/membrane fabrics but you don't have to use them exclusively.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#13]
when I was in the national guard they reccomended woolite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top