Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 4:16:20 AM EDT
Is it just me or has BlackHawk Industries improved the quality of their gear lately?

I will readily admit that I haven't cared for their stuff in the past...I prefer Tactical Tailor and HSGI stuff.

But I got a chance to pick up a NIW Commando Chest Harness in "Coyote Tan" (LINK HERE) for a price that was just too cheap to pass up(Hey, I like to get a good deal, too!!! )...after having a chance to look it over, I came away with the impression that the quality of the material and workmanship is noticeably better than what I've seen them put out in the past few years.

Anybody else have the same observation or am I just imagining things?

Is this thing actually worth a damn or should I pass it off to someone else?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
i used a lot of BH gear when i was in iraq and the only complaint i have is that the cloth on the MOLLE mag pouches wears off in the corners. i carried 2 double mag pouches on a thigh panel and by the end of the deployment the edges of the mags were sticking through. other than that, my stuff is still kickin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a DOAV vest and 2 flare pouches in Iraq for a year with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I've received this mags pouch from a friend of mine (173rd ABN, "Sky Soldiers") who was in afghanistan. he really abused of it but it still works great. the elastic bands still do the job and keep the mags tight in place.
I can't said if it's made in USA or Vietnam but seems to be good stuff.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]
blackhawk gear is good stuff I dont care where its made it works and it works damn well
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I do care where it is made. I prefer eagle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Eagle is my brand of choice as well. Great product, excelent sercive, and American made. Cant beat that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how many people that boast American Made have cars, phones, computers, food, toys, hell everything, made elsewhere.  I guess it's easy to only buy American Made when it comes to the forum.  Just an observation.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wonder how many people that boast American Made have cars, phones, computers, food, toys, hell everything, made elsewhere.  I guess it's easy to only buy American Made when it comes to the forum.  Just an observation.

You would be kidding your self to think that much more than 1/3rd of anything you buy is made in the US. The point is to buy it when you can. And only if the quality is there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've received this mags pouch from a friend of mine (173rd ABN, "Sky Soldiers") who was in afghanistan. he really abused of it but it still works great. the elastic bands still do the job and keep the mags tight in place.

snafu.altervista.org/bhi3sd.jpg

I had that same pouch and it worked (and lasted) very well.
I finally sold it because a) it was black (soooo last year) and b) four mags were a bit bulky on my thigh.  I picked up an OD Eagle 2-mag version after that.

I also have a Blackhawk holster and it's great.  Not a 6004-type, but I carry several different pistol models (P226, P229, M1911 and G22), so the 6004 is impractical.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Didn't you read the latest edition of Cosmotactical? OD green and Black don't match.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't you read the latest edition of Cosmotactical? OD green and Black don't match.  

but black gear looks so Delda...

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Sheesh!

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sheesh!

tinypic.com/jktumt.jpg

I'm gonna have to use that pic sometime...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sheesh!

tinypic.com/jktumt.jpg

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
oh shit that is one big bitch!

ps who the fuck makes tac gear in shamoo?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
the money that kid spent on that shit would have paid for him to go to fat camp for an entire year.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
the money that kid kids parents spent on that shit would have paid for him to go to fat camp for an entire year.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Blackhawk gear is usually serviceable and always available. Some of it is made in Vietnam while some is made in Italy, Korea, China, the US, and elsewhere.

The problems that jump out at me are the materials and the price. I don't like fake Cordura, particularly when it is off colored, as much of the Blackhawk gear is. The prices can be downright outrageous, and are always as much or more than the prices of the gear that they copied. I don't really care if they rip of designs, or if they make their gear cheaply in other countries. I do feel that it is ridiculous for them to charge more than what their competitors charge for the original product, made of real Cordura in the United States.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a DAOV Vest and like it very much

I put it over my Inerceptor vest w/ plate
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I can't complain...I got it for free...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#21]
ill get things from them if they are the only option.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top