Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 1:18:52 PM EDT
I decided to get a new pair of boots recently and did some reading online.  I was looking for a tough but all-weather all-season pair of boots.  As I am a big fan of Columbia clothing and generally just like their product I checked their website.

I found the Frontier Peak GTX boots there and really liked the looks of them.  Found them at a local extreme sporting goods store and man they're comfy.  (Side Note: They are nowhere near as bright as pictured.  I may take pics of them later b/c they are just way too bright in that pic)

Bought em for $130, a little more than what I could've got them for online, but I wanted them right away!  Now technically these are hiking boots but I think they will fit all needs of a solid outdoor pair of boots that I will need.

What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Belleville 390 DES.  Best non-cold weather boots I have ever owned.

+1 on the 390 DES

I have another type of Bellvilles that my Battalion T&E'd for the DOA. They are one off protos' kind of like the 770's, that were rejected due to the softer leather used in them. We beat the crap out of them for a long time, and they held up, but were gigged on the materials used. I ended up w/ two pair. The ones I used are perfect and the other are NIB and on standby IF the others ever crap out on me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
+3 on the 390 DES.
best infantr boots ive ever owned.
i also wear the USMC issue deserts, almost identical to the 390 DES.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners, bought because of advice received here on the board.  They're my daily wear boots.  Had them for about four months, best pair of boots I've ever owned.  Waterproof, lightweight, very comfortable, good ankle support, great traction.  I was also specifically looking for a hard leather pair of boots that I could keep shiny and new looking, you may not have that concern.

www.outdoorreview.com/cat/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/mens-hiking-backpacking-boots/vasque/PRD_77208_2961crx.aspx#reviews
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Magnum Hi-Tek......Stealth model.  Wear them everyday, its just like wearing athletic shoes.  My local Factory Brand Shoes has them for 60.00 each.  Great boot, great deal, takes a polish, and cheap enough to replace every couple of years.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Magnum Hi-Tek......Stealth model.  Wear them everyday, its just like wearing athletic shoes.  My local Factory Brand Shoes has them for 60.00 each.  Great boot, great deal, takes a polish, and cheap enough to replace every couple of years.

Yeah, I wore out a couple pairs of those too.  Also good boots.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Oakley tac boots for summer, and 400 Gram Danner Acadias for cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Did somebody say... PIE??!!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Belleville...I forget the style number but they are the non-insulated goretex.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I decided to get a new pair of boots recently and did some reading online.  I was looking for a tough but all-weather all-season pair of boots.  As I am a big fan of Columbia clothing and generally just like their product I checked their website.

I found the Frontier Peak GTX boots there and really liked the looks of them.  Found them at a local extreme sporting goods store and man they're comfy.  (Side Note: They are nowhere near as bright as pictured.  I may take pics of them later b/c they are just way too bright in that pic)

Bought em for $130, a little more than what I could've got them for online, but I wanted them right away!  Now technically these are hiking boots but I think they will fit all needs of a solid outdoor pair of boots that I will need.

What do you guys use?

Several years ago I used to live in Gearhart Oregon, on the coast. The guy who owned Columbia had a beach house there.

There is a stretch of beach from Gearhart  running north for about 10 miles which is one of the last beaches you can still drive a car on. John, "Mr. Columbia", thinks that his beachfront property should give him the right to stop all vehicles from driving on the beach past his crib. What a putz! I talked to him at the local golf course bar and he is as liberal as they come.

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with a Columbia Sportsware label on it for all the money in China!

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Danner Ft Lewis that need replacing bad
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a deal:

Gortex boots
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Several years ago I used to live in Gearhart Oregon, on the coast. The guy who owned Columbia had a beach house there.

There is a stretch of beach from Gearhart  running north for about 10 miles which is one of the last beaches you can still drive a car on. John, "Mr. Columbia", thinks that his beachfront property should give him the right to stop all vehicles from driving on the beach past his crib. What a putz! I talked to him at the local golf course bar and he is as liberal as they come.

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with a Columbia Sportsware label on it for all the money in China!

YMMV

Wow that's nuts lol.  It's a shame too because I absolutely love Columbia clothing :P  /me smacks his wrist!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, aint it? I like Columbia stuff too.....I just know the guy who owns the company so I won't buy any of it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah...I've worn Hi-Tek's for years in various styles. They are hard to beat, in my book.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah...I've worn Hi-Tek's for years in various styles. They are hard to beat, in my book.

+1... well, +2, actually. I have 2 pairs of Magnums, one plain toe, one steel. Never had a problem with them and I've put the steel toes through hell.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]
hi-tek compared to belleville 390  des?
like comparing a pinto to a hummer.
I bought some hiteks for field use years ago, fricken things came apart after a few months of hard use.
few years later as a civilian, i bought some for work, figured they would be ok for work boots. these didnt last either.
they are light, and feel like sneakers, but are not rugged.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Danner Acadia uninsulated
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Danner Mountain Light 2 at home.

Danner Acadia and Wellco IHW at work.
ETA: Merrell Sawtooth light hikers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I bought some hiteks for field use years ago, fricken things came apart after a few months of hard use.
few years later as a civilian, i bought some for work, figured they would be ok for work boots. these didnt last either.

I must just be lucky, I've put mine through things I wish I'd never done and not so much as a popped eyelet. Earlier this year I wore the steeltoes while working at a machine shop and finally got to the point that I'd just leave 'em untied unless I was going to be carrying anything. Much more comfortable when standing in front of the mill or lathe for 10 hours straight

Years ago I had a pair of USGI boots that I really liked, the all leather ones with the padded cuff and speed laces, but haven't been able to find any in the right size when I've actually had any cash handy. They weren't perfect, but they worked pretty good for me.

Just thought of something. I'm known to have indestructible feet. I go barefoot around the house and yard 99% of the time and have worn sandals in the field more than once. Suppose that could make a difference in boot choices
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#21]
LL Bean Cresta Hikers.  

Best mid-weight hiking boots ever.  

They've sold tens of thousands (maybe hundreds) of these boots, and every review I've ever read is positive.  

I'm on my second pair now.  I still wear the old pair for light hiking, but the footbed is somewhat weak after 6 years of steady hiking.  The tread is still good though, and they fit like a sneaker.  They are Gore-tex and are warm to about 30 degrees, but are not suitable for hunting from a stand or deep snow.  

I can't recommend these boot enough.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Danner Acadia un-insulated in the summer.
Danner Acadia 200gr Thinsulate in the winter.
12 hour shifts, 4 on, 4 off.  On my feet for a good part of the shift, and I walk on almost any surface you can think of. These are the best boots I have ever worn. The insulated pair is going on four years old, and the un-insulated pair is two years old. I have yet to have either pair re-soled, but the summer boots are getting close.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I've worn a couple different models of Asolo hiking boots. They wear well and most important, fit .
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Strange...maybe you got some 'lemons'...I've had several pairs over the years, and NEVER had a problem with any of them. I don't think I've EVER worn any out. Just put them aside, and started wearing another new pair, etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#25]
511 ATACS
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Matterhorn's, Non-Insulated, Gore Tex lining, resole-able(SP?) and waterproof. Best boots I have ever owned
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Any American Made Government Issue Boots.
I have about 10 pairs from Desert to Micky boots.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Danner Radical 452 GTX's & an old pair of Danner Ft Lewis boots...

edited for speeling ;)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I do have an extreme amount of milage on my Altima black, green, and desert "jungle" boots. They do hold up extremely well. When I was stationed here at Ft. Lewis I always carried a set of knee-high gortex socks to make those Altimas instant waterproof boots. Very effective, and pretty cheap for some heavy abuse field boots, for CONUS that is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 Merrells
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Danner Acadia's are the most confortable boots I have ever had!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Belleville 390 DES
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Matterhorn non-metalic safety toe.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Bates Ultra-Lite Tactical Side-Zip Boots...when I wear them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Depends on what I am doing.  sometimes I'll wear my USA made Oakley SI boots, other times I will wear my ASOLO's, others I'll wear my 10 eyelet steel toe England made Doc Martens and even other times I'll wear issue black or tan combat boots.

Yes... I am a boot whore.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#37]

This has neen my experience as well. I absolutely wore them out in three months, working as a bouncer. I had the heel counters tearing out, soles wore out at an alarming rate...Good boots for the price, I guess, but not good boots overall.

My every day footwear is the Danner Agitator 45 GTX. I've got a pair of Danner Acadias that I've had since 1997. I gotta replace them because my feet have gotten wider in that time, which sucks because my boots still have a LOT of life left in 'em.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I got a pair of Corcoran Field Boots a couple of months ago and love them.  They are comfortable and look good too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Update on my Columba boots.. I like em a lot!  With the special hiking socks I purchased they're VERY comfortable!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top