Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 5:05:04 AM EDT
I'm upgrading my gear, and I would like to know what vests the
Military is using. I have ALICE gear now, but I know there
is better. What works best, and how about body armor vests?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]

MOLLE chest rigs are the thing right now...actually MOLLE anything seems to be the way to go.  Just get ready to spend some cash.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Different branches and even different units are using different rigs and many combat units are allowing soliders to use privately purchased gear so unless you want to know what they're using in AIT there really isn't a 'right' answer.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Here about a month ago, I went ahead and purchased new gear & retired my TT  lbv.

CombatKit, make awsome gear designed by soldiers.

http://combatkit.net

TG
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Alright, what are they using in AIT?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here about a month ago, I went ahead and purchased new gear & retired my TT  lbv.

TG

what freakin country is that stuff from??
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Smells like........ Croatia?!?!?

If it works, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Hoplophile is correct , Now that Body armor is religiously worn in all units, most troops are hanging their pouches on the OTV Pals Webbing.  Others are using their own personnel bought and paid for gear from all the manufactureres. The Load bearing Vest with the 4 slanted magazine pouches that fit a total of 6 M16 mags and two small grenade pouches is pretty much what was and still is issued. it has staps all along the bottom of the Vest to attach a GI issue Pistol belt.
It has drawstring adjustments on the side for girth,etc and Padded shoulder straps.

By current standards, it's pretty low speed, but before the mass issue of Interceptor Body armor, it was a big step up from the A.L.I.C.E LBE  Y suspenders with issues 3 mag pouches and pistol belt
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure, their is vendors in several countries.

combatkit.net/dealers.php

I was pleasantly surprised how well made this gear is.

TG
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Still issuing the LBV at Schofield Barracks and Fort Hood.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]
That gear is all nice and good, but if you've spent any time carrying or needing this type of equipment, just remember you get what you pay for. So you may be able to pick up this gear from them and thousands of surplus sites, if you want the real gear you're choices drop to Tactical Tailor, Eagle and one or two other top tier producers.

ALICE connectors are OK, they function and that has value. MOLLE/PALS connectors are superior IMHO for several key reasons. They don't wear out as fast as the ALICE clips, they don't allow the pouch or what ever add on, shift around as much. Not to mention the quality and variety of options that are availale for Load Bearing vests and carriers are heads and shoulders above the older ALICE/LBE/LBV gear. LBV was a decent idea, but proved in my experience to be poorly made and being forced to use a fixed pocket configuration was a serious limter.

If you really want to see what's being used, look to Eagle and Tactical Tailor. Just don't expect to get away without a good dent into your funds. The flexibilty and quality more than make up for the less capable and honestly, more cheaply made gear!!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You will use what they issue you at AIT, If you bring your own shit it will be locked away plain and simple. Uncle Sugar will give you what you need.
Then when you deploy, most Commanders give you latitude to use what you want, I say Most I mean Some. It all depends on your command.
I use an ESStac BOAR in ACU and  / or An HSGI WooSatch. All MOLLE . Military is changing over to mostly MOLLE and eventually all be MOLLE for use with the IBA.
chuck
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]

We were issued the Specialty Defense Systems fighting load carrier. It was a mixed bag in my platoon on who wore them. I found that when fully loaded it put too much pressure on the back of the neck, so I ended up buying a Blackhawk MOLLE vest which worked great.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you all for the valuable input. I will check out
all the products you suggested.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proabaly pre-vietnam LC-1 gear.

and that is no shit

rusted, broken buckles and knots in the webbing... with lots of 100 mph tape holding everything together.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and that is no shit

rusted, broken buckles and knots in the webbing... with lots of 100 mph tape holding everything together.

What Army are you talking about? Even when I went through basic, no everything wasnt NEW but it was servicable. I never drew anything from CIF that had rust on it or was damaged, especially when I was in AIT in 1988. I wish I could have gotten a Vietnam era H- harness in basic, it would have been a lot more comfortable than the LBE.
chuck
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not sure, their is vendors in several countries.

combatkit.net/dealers.php

I was pleasantly surprised how well made this gear is.

TG

Croatia. Slavonski Brod, which is just up the road a bit from the town my parents are from. (Lists the address here)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Finished up AIT in November.  We had the LBVs with 4 slanted mag pouches and two grenade pouches. the stuff was definitly used and some of the snaps were worn, but it was servicable, don't know what ktrout was talking about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and that is no shit

What Army are you talking about? Even when I went through basic, no everything wasnt NEW but it was servicable. I never drew anything from CIF that had rust on it or was damaged, especially when I was in AIT in 1988. I wish I could have gotten a Vietnam era H- harness in basic, it would have been a lot more comfortable than the LBE.
chuck

H harness is much better than the Y straps.  Dunno why they ever changed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
when i got my ta-50 at my national gaurd unit, i got a brand new lbv, exact same as the one i had in OSUT, except the mag pouches are angled a little more.  All the Drill Sergeants had the Y harnesses and they said that they sucked and that we had the good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#24]
If you use A.L.I.C.E. clips throw them out and replace them with M.A.L.I.C.E. clips/tabs. They are far superior to anything I have seen. They are made by Tactical Taylor.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
secure.specialtydefense.com/images/items/4117.JPG

We were issued the Specialty Defense Systems fighting load carrier. It was a mixed bag in my platoon on who wore them. I found that when fully loaded it put too much pressure on the back of the neck, so I ended up buying a Blackhawk MOLLE vest which worked great.

Which one is that?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Blackhawk STRIKE DOAV Vest. Fit over the IBA, distributed the weight well, and had enough MOLLE attachment points for everything I needed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#27]
MOLLE gear. Nobody in my unit even uses the LBV. Everyone attaches their gear straight to their interceptor vest.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TG

what freakin country is that stuff from??

I wondered that last time he posted it, I think it's british.

or French, seeing that they make a vest for the MAS
combatkit.net/products.php?g=10
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
MOLLE gear. Nobody in my unit even uses the LBV. Everyone attaches their gear straight to their interceptor vest.

Alright, where can I get an interceptor vest?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.paracletearmor.com/Vests/ICV0007.htm
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Thank you. I'm saving up for a good vest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and that is no shit

Cant duck it F@*K it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

They're using LBE.

And no, actually the Army / Marines are moving away from LBV and LBEs. They're moving toward integrating everything on the Interceptor Body Armor. We don't even use the canteen carriers anymore, we use CamelBaks. Everything is getting integrated into the vest so there aren't like 20 pieces to our full battle rattle anymore, just our ACH and IBAs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks to all. I'm looking at the Paraclete vest and the S.T.R.I.K.E. DOAV
Stryker_11A is using. Good equipment is not cheap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Be careful of the STRIKE DOAV...they are closing it out so you can find some really good deals right now.  Check Ebay...they are all over it for $50 and $60.  BHI has it listed around $70.  The major problem I have seen with this particular vest is that the side-release buckles interfere with the first column of MOLLE webbing.  No big deal if you don't plan to use that first column otherwise it could be a problem.

I was looking at one myself but have decided to go with tht Eagle MOLLE Tac vest instead.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be careful of the STRIKE DOAV...they are closing it out so you can find some really good deals right now.  Check Ebay...they are all over it for $50 and $60.  BHI has it listed around $70.  The major problem I have seen with this particular vest is that the side-release buckles interfere with the first column of MOLLE webbing.  No big deal if you don't plan to use that first column otherwise it could be a problem.

I was looking at one myself but have decided to go with tht Eagle MOLLE Tac vest instead.

Good Luck

Is there a new design DOAV coming out from Blackhawk? Or are they shifting to something else.

I am well pleased with my Blackhawk gear.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I use a SoTech Tomcat with a variety of pouches that I configure to be mission specific.  I use the base thin straps, not the padded 'upgrade' because they are wide enough to be comfortable and because they are thin and free of doo-dads you can wear them under a ruck or sitting in a vehicle without discomfort.  It can adjust quickly and be used in conjunction with armor or layers of snivel gear.

My unit issues the SDS MOLLE desert Rifleman set up.  I use some of the pouches on my Tomcat or attached to my Camelback Motherlode, but over all I don't care for it.  The vest is "one size fits none" and the assault pack makes a decent 'man purse' for garrison use, but isn't tough enough to go on patrol.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dude, save your money!!! they are required issue beforegoing into theatre, they dont have the problemsof shortages like they did 2 years back, trust me you WILL get your IBA issued to you, just concentrate on the pouches
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#39]
bump
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#40]
What the military is using,

except for SF guys, is ghey, I say this because I am in the Mil,

do not think that since it is issue it is the best option, for instance the molle 2 FLC is not as good as a Practical Tactical MESA, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top