Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 4:52:19 PM EDT
For my first Enduring Freedom deployment in 2000 I ended up buying a bunch of tan gear.  Back then it was pretty difficult to find, and came with black plastic fasteners.  Now most gear comes with color coordinated fasteners.  Being cheap I didn’t want to buy new gear just so I could have matching plastic, and painting never lasted more than a week once I got to the desert.  So I finally decided to mod my gear.  It was pretty easy so then I started making my own – duty belt & sling so far.  I also started modifying my own BDU shirts – paying $80+ for someone else to do it violated my cheap rule.

Here are some of the places I found stuff:

Supply Captain – for buckles: coyote and green, glint tape, & Velcro if you don’t have a base nearby
Tactical Concealment – for 2” webbing (duty & regular), & thread
Strap Works – for other sized webbing, especially for the pull tabs on BDU pockets

Do any of ya’ll know of any other places on the web that have stuff to mod or make your own gear?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I too, modify my own gear. I recently acquired a industrial type sewing machine for this purpose. Other than the site you listed, I don't know of any other suppliers for stuff. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
i also am one of those cheap guys who makes gear. i mostly build tactcal slings for people but tats another story.

i would love to get my hands on a good indutreal sewing machine so i could do more of the same kinda work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top