Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 6:19:57 AM EDT
Hey everybody,

Money is an issue here, and I want to replace the hanguard on my RockRiver A4 20" Flattop.

I'm looking at the First Samco Quad Rail handguard, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this one.

First Samco quadrail handguard

What are your likes/dislikes?

Any gripes?

Is there another product from another mfg that has more bang for the buck (so to speak)?

Apparantly, First Samco and Fobus are one in the same.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
For affordable railed HG's , check out Yankee Hill. Metal instead of plastic rails and not much more cost. Lots of businesses on the site here sell em. Personally I have had good dealings with Brightflashlights and Bravo co.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Mucho sucky.
Even looser than the standard M4 handguards.
The plastic rails are not always in spec and the covering panels are very loose.

Better to look at true rail systems.
I use the SureFire M73 rail (less than $200).  It doesn't free-float, but I'm not sure a carbine really needs a free-floating barrel.  I wasted good money on handguard mounts and the like before finally making the jump.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Run away.
For a couple of more $20's you can get a Yankee Hill or MI 2 piece and they are a much better rail with alot better cooling.

If you were thinking of adding a light, VFG and other items down the road then stay away from plastic!

Check the EE and shop, you'll find some great deals.  You might even be able to find a good used one for the same coin as your Fobus shmobus thingie.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the Midwest Industries from DSG for like 130.00.  These things are rock solid, I would highly recommend you check DSG out.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, I have a set on my 20" (got a steal off the EE)

They aren't THAT bad. I sure wouldn't mount any optics to it, but it fits tight enough. No wiggle in the handguards. If I grab my VFG and twist hard, It moves about a 16th of an inch, and that is WRENCHING the thing.

I'm puposely not using the rubber rail covers it came with. I plan on getting a FF tube some day, and want to see how much abuse these things will truly take.

Is it worth the $120 alot of  places are charging?................... honestly no. I got them because they were way less expensive, and to determine if the "rails" thing was for me.

It is, so I'm going to step up the quality sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't own one of those but Ihave an M33 and it's a huge piece of crap. I'm skeptical about nearly anything made by them.

My recommendation: save your money and buy a quad handguard made by a company with a strong rep for a good product.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought the M44s for AR, I'm using this as a stepping stone to something better, to see how I like the foregrip idea (new concept for me got out in 97), if I like it I'll probably go with a SIRS or something like that..

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a set on my carbine.  I like the feel of them.  I did have a problem with a John Masen vertical foregrip not fitting properly (too tight).  My hadnguards came free with the upper in a parts swap.  I like the rubber covers they come with, nice and comfy.

They are prety solid, and the nice thing is you can take them off just like normal handguards.  I would not recommend them for optics as they are not 'rock solid' just like any other set of normal plastic handgaurds.

M33's usually come up on the EE for about $30 if you are looking to try them out.  On the other hand, you might just consider buying one of the picatinney rail sections and mounting it on your standard hanguards- that way you know the rail is in spec.

If you are looking for something solid, YHM, Olympic Arms and Midwest Industries make stuff for around $100 in metal.  Some are freeefloated, some are not.  Of course you will still need rail covers which will set you back some more cash.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are your likes/dislikes?

Any gripes?

I handled a set at the local gun shop.  They're all plastic and they look and feel cheap.
I couldn't believe how much they want for them.

I'd save a few bucks more and consider the metal rails recommended above by others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the YHM or MI railed handguards. Probably the best bang for the buck on the market right now. Bravo Company has good prices on both.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey thanks for the feedback guys!

I think I like the Yankee Hill. I've been looking, and have seen the Yankee Hill 9803 price range between $129.00 to $189.00 on the net, but there's a gunshow in Frisco (N. Texas) this weekend, so I'm going early Saturday AM to track a set down.

Thanks again for the great feedback, you guys really helped me figure this out.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a set of the M33's and really like them. They fit very snug and don't wobble or have any give to them really. I was actually very surprised with the fit. They are plastic, but they are sturdy little fellas.

I personally only run a vertical fore grip and a light on my guns, therefore I don't need these big "fancy" quad rail systems for my uses. I mount any optics on the flat-top, so for my purposes, the M33's are all I need and they do what I want them to do.

If you want something perhaps a bit more sturdy for optics mounting, get something else. But if you're like me and just need a simple setup for a foregrip and a light, the Samco's may be all you need.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think I like the Yankee Hill. I've been looking, and have seen the Yankee Hill 9803 price range between $129.00 to $189.00 on the net, but there's a gunshow in Frisco (N. Texas) this weekend, so I'm going early Saturday AM to track a set down.

So? did you get them at th gunshow?

I've found that in my area there are no deals to be found on AR acessories/parts at a gunshow. You'll find way better deals right here on arfcom in with either the industry partners or in the EE. At least wehere I live.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow !!

I didnt realize so many had issues with these handgards.

I have the carbine ones, paid $70 for them new.

I have NOT had any issues, real tight fit, they dont move around at all.

I have a verticle grip, tac laser light on them too..

This is on a 20" H-bar.

They installed real easy and come with the rubber panels for comfort, some other gards you have to pay for them separately.

email me if you have other questions.

John
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
dammit, no I wasn't able to make it up there this weekend.  There's another show this coming weekend (much closer to mi casa) that I'm going to try and make it to.

I really want a set, and would prefer metal over plastic any day. I think part of my rationale for questioning this particular brand was due to a frequent particular gunshow vendor (sogarmory), and they had them each time I had seen them at the local shows over the past few months.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The prices I've seen at gunshows for those rails weren't that great.

I'd shop here in the EE - good folks with good prices.

Matter of fact, I know some dealers will let you drive to their house and pick up your product.  BTDT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top