Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 11:55:34 AM EDT
Im looking at getting a pack around 2000 cubes ,that works with a 72oz to 100oz hydration "bag" and that has the webbing system for around 200 bucks. Right now Im looking at the Motherload ,BFM and BHI's Cyclone. Im wondering about pack comfort because Im going to be wearing it for long periods of time (12hour shifts). Any sugguestions? Ive looked at the 3 day pack thread and my head is still spinning lol.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Spec Ops Brand "T.H.E. PACK" and I'm very happy with it...very comfortable
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The first question that always seems to be the response to this question and every other "whatshould I get" question:

What are you going to be using it for?

What are you going to be packing into it?

How much humping do you do right now?

What kind of pack are you using right now?

What kind of pack are you most comfortable with?

Top loader v. panel/front loader?
External v. Internal frame v. no frame?
Do you use the kidney/waist belt?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The first question that always seems to be the response to this question and every other "whatshould I get" question:

What are you going to be using it for?
Rural police work with out getting into to much detail,Ive talked to some state troopers that do something simular to what I do and they told me they use the BHI Cyclone but they have had the bladder bust in practice. Which they also do entries where as I seriously doubt I will ever do with my pack on. Since Im paying for it I might do a little bit of enjoyment hiking with it to, which right now Im using a old eastpack book bag which is serprizingly comfortable with a couple nights worth of stuff in it and tied on it lol.

What are you going to be packing into it?
rain gear ,camo netting,maybe a few AR mags ,Radios, batteries ,topo maps,gps,camra,NV gear,Note book , tape measure, game camras

How much humping do you do right now?
depends on whats going on , some weeks less then a mile other weeks 12-15 miles a day. The terrian is flat temprate forest ,swamps and fields. I do some personal hiking in the mountains of Va,TN and NC

What kind of pack are you using right now?
A old alice pack without a frame,a hand me down from the the previous guy, Im not that happy with it but it does get the job done. For hiking I use a eastpack book bag mentioned above

What kind of pack are you most comfortable with?

Top loader v. panel/front loader? doesnt really matter as long as I can easily put my gear in , which the biggest piece is a little larger than a canteen
External v. Internal frame v. no frame?
Do you use the kidney/waist belt?yes

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm hardly an expert on packs but here's my recommendations that perhaps some of the more active users can confirm or put down:

Check out Members Only Swap Meet . Odds are you'll find a good deal on a used pack in decent condition. A lot of the guys on there are like tech-gadget geeks that have to have the latest and greatest and get rid of their current gear to fund the news stuff. Or their missions requirements change and they sell what they don't need. So the used items are generally in very nice condition.

I just opened this thread to ask Lightfighter if there is any way to attach a belt to a R.A.I.D. pack. I don't have any personal experience with this pack so I don't know.
R.A.I.D. question(s)

If there is a way to attach a belt, this might be a decent pack to look into, mainly because of the various customization options with the PALS webbing. It'll cost a little more in the long run to add various types of pouches and pockets to it, but the upside is that you can break it down depending on what you're going to be using it for.

Another option may be the Eagle Ind. MOLLE STYLE A-III-P (A-III-P-MS) or any one of the other 3 Day Assault packs with external webbing.

It's really hard to recommend one particular pack to someone as some people wear differently than others. I would say any of the 3 Day Assault packs would probably get you where you want to go. The ones with the PALS webbing will obviously offer a little more in terms of expansion.

I'm always a little skeptical when people start talking about doing any kind of entry/CQB while wearing a pack. It reduces your maneuverability in tight spaces and puts you at risk for getting hung up on something stupid like a door knob or coat hook or knocking somethign over. Unless you train this way and your training environment takes every possible thig into consideration when setting up. But its difficult to compensate for that extra "volume" on your back... think of it like driving a car with a big trailer on it for the first time and trying to parallel park.

For doing CQB I'd say just stick with wearing a tac-vest/harness and a low profile bladder system. I don't do this for a living though, so get a second opinion but the people I've worked with only went in with what they needed. There is no need to have all your crap on you for CQB when it's obviously a temporary mission where you're not going to be for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd suggest the Kifaru Marauder www.kifaru.net/MGmaraud.htm  It is a little bigger than what you indicated (2,500 cubes instead of 2,000) but I've been completely impressed with their quality and wearing comfort.  I've got the MMR, and even loaded to 60 lbs, it is very comfortable.  It is also covered in PALS/MOLLE webbing, and Kifaru's "dock-n-lock" system for pouches is very convenient.  The pack is totally modular, and doesn't have any exterior pockets.  You can configure the pouch size and location to your liking, not an "average" compromise like many other packs.  

If you don't want the "military" look with all the PALS/MOLLE, you can get the Kifaru Express:  www.kifaru.net/MGexpress.htm  It can still use the dock-n-lock pouches.

Neither pack comes with a waistbelt, but they are optional.  I highly recommend getting the waistbelt, as that puts the load on your hips instead of your shoulders.

Now, these packs aren't cheap, but I bet you'll never wear it out.  It will also cost a little more to add pockets, but I think the benefits of being completely modular outweighs those negatives.  

I'm looking to get a Marauder or Scout to piggy back onto my MMR for use as a smaller day pack.  I've got an OD green Blackhawk X-1 in great shape I'll sell ya!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Pathfinder I believe droping every thing you can before going in , but the state boys train in full gear. If I do go in with a pack its not going to be planed lol.After looking at the Marauder closer Im really liking it. Its out of my price range at the moment , which I could ask the department to flip some of the bill but if I changed departments it might would get ugly. I really like their gun carrier too , it would make my 14 pound savage alot more friendly on long hikes. But just the bag,kidney belt and a water bag Im looking at over $350 (twice the motherload) . Any one else here have one of these bags , are they worth 2 times the money?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I left out the Marauder because it's about $100+ out of the price range and cubic volume you talked about. I would recommend that pack to anyone in a heartbeat though. I have one, posted pictures of it in several threads, and love it like a child.

For gun humping this may be something to consider as well.
Eberlestock Special Operations Backpacks

So far everything discussed on here has been listed in the 3 Day Assault pack thread.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I left out the Marauder because it's about $100+ out of the price range and cubic volume you talked about. I would recommend that pack to anyone in a heartbeat though. I have one, posted pictures of it in several threads, and love it like a child.

D'oh!  Reading is fun-da-mental!  I totally missed the $200 budget comment.  

you---><----me

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Lightfighter RAID. you won't be sorry.

Oh ya, get the Eagle A-III frame sheet too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I talked to the boss today and he reminded me that I have a small expence account in the buget for misc things. So he told me just write it up as disposable supplies for
$100 and he would approve it. So it looks like Im going to place my order for the Maruader next pay cycle :D. You got to like home town PDs . Ill post pics in the Maruader pic thread when it comes in ;)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So it looks like Im going to place my order for the Maruader next pay cycle :D. You got to like home town PDs . Ill post pics in the Maruader pic thread when it comes in ;)

You're gonna love it. Check out the messageboards for some good pictures and modifications ideas. Scott Cunningham had some pretty awesome mods done to his.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#12]
i'd recommend a Kifaru Scout($187 w/waistbelt) and a Claymore pouch($37) mounted on the back for your size load($224) meeting your load cap. of 2000 cu and only $24 over your budget. you want the weight to be carried on your hips not your shoulders, this set-up will allow that, while not covering as much of your back causing you to get hotter and sweatier than necessary. kifaru's stuff is top-notch and worth the investment. i don't think anyone here will argue that Camelbak, BHI, SpecOps made packs aren't anywhere near Kifaru's. the only reason i would recommend one of the other packs you mentioned is because once you get one Kifaru you will want another, i promise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top