Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 11:35:56 AM EDT
Does anyone have any advice or links on modifying gear?  I am not really a tailor, but am interested in adding a few things to various gear that I have.  Specifically, adding drain holes, adding snaps, and sewing on fastex buckles.  I would appreciate any help on this subject.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  You really need a sewing machine to do it correctly.  I have an old Singer that works well, but I don't press it for super heavy stitching.  You can get a machine for a $150, but I'd recommend something better (at least $400+ range).

2.  You can order the materials from a variety of ourdoor materials shops.  I don't have any handy, but google along "fabric", "outdoor" "cordura" and the like.  I have some at home and I will post later.

3.  Some of these, like grommets, require a setting tool.  If you're only gonna do it once, have a tailor/seamstress do it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Drain holes are basically small grommets...that's pretty simple if you have the tool.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Drain holes are basically small grommets...that's pretty simple if you have the tool.

You can get the tool for $10 at walmart, and a dozen grommets will cost another $2 or so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
if you're not going to make a lot of gear, dole the work out to an upholstery shop.  they usually have access to heavy-duty sewing machines and a lot better idea of where to get the fabric you need for the purpose you have in mind.  make some of the more exotic alterations yourself or have them planned into the piece you're going to commission.  a good example of this would be learning how to use a small grommet setter and then looking around for one and buying it.
more exotic places for unique fixtures and fasteners can be found if you look at the purpose you intend.

if it's gonna see a lot of water, look at dive outfitters, if it needs to be lightweight and strong look at long-distance hiking or parachuting folks.

use your imagination.  make friends with an upholsterer or someone at a machine or marine (boat, not USMC) shop.  if they can't help you out, they could probably steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Vaquero,

I hardly have a peice of gear that I haven't modified in some form. If you are going to do any serious mods, you have to have a good industrial strength sewing machine. I got one recently and have done several mods with it. I resized the pockets on my Eagle Universal chest rig. My buddies even come with a name for my mods, they call it "Nickinazation" or "Nickanized". I'll post a pic of my machine and an example of one of my mods later.

Here is a  thread where I added some mag security devices to my Eagle chest rig:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=185654
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top