Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:26:59 AM EDT

I heard a rumor that the quality of the STRIKE gear from Blackhawk was better than their other gear and that it was on par with companies such as Eagle Industries.  I've had Eagle stuff before and was very happy with it but am thinking about getting a MOLLE type platform.  Eagle has one but it is considerably more than the BHI version.  The money I could save would get me several of the pouches that I will need.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
STRIKE gear is a little better quality than most BHI stuff, but it's still made in Vietnam. Buy American.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#2]
*smacks head against keyboard*

I've seen like 5 of these threads already in the past month
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Please enlighten me, oh master of the keyboard...

Prior to posting, I performed a search like a good member and only came up with one thread that even came close to answering my question.  It started as a chest rig discussion and quickly turned into a made in China thread.  I took in what little info I could and thought I might get a better answer by being a little more specific.

As to the other 4 threads that you have seen in the past month, I would love some links...I'll be waiting!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, Cleatus.  Have you checked out Militarymorons.com?

The dude over there has awesome write ups on all kinds of gear, including STRIKE.  It's an awesome site for getting gear set up ideas!

w00t!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm taking the STRIKE recon chest harness to a 2-day class this month.  I'll let you know how it holds up.  I hear alot of BHI bashing in general, but I haven't read many specific product failures.  I read where one guy said he could tear a BHI vest in half with his bear hands. There are also alot of guys that are happy with their gear.  However, I do agree that there is a difference in quality with the STRIKE gear.  I have a BHI load out bag and weapon bag, and it doesn't seem to be as tight as the chest harness.  I hate the fact that they manufacture outside the US, but that's not always the deciding factor when I make any purchase.  If so, I wouldn't shop at Old Navy or drive a Honda.

...+1 to Militarymorons.com.  Before I buy anything, I usually scan over there to see if it has been reviewed.  The reviews are not bias or partial to any particular company.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My BHI STRIKE Recon vest seems very well made.  But I'm just a chairborne ranger, so I can't say how it would hold up under combat conditions.  It seems to be close in quality to my TT or Kifaru gear.  Other than an X-1 RAPTOR pack, I don't own anything from BHI that isn't STRIKE, so I can't say how it compares to their other stuff.  

The X-1 seems well made, but I'm going to sell it.  I've been cursed with Kifaru-itis, and I need a pack that will dock with my MMR.  I'm leaning towards a Marauder or maybe a Scout......  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The STRIKE gear is better than their other stuff, and is probably made well enough to get the job done. However, for the same money you can get gear that will definatly hold up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't all their MOLLE stuff termed "STRIKE"?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I use one of their radio pouches, that's the only BHI piece I still actively use besides a sleeping bag stuff sack for my green patrol bag. Held up fine, still better than issue.

Yeah, the Vietnam thing bugs me. I think I might be done with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top