Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 5:16:24 PM EDT
I have tried and used many types and brands of gear from various manufacturer's , There are a lot of good ones out there, but I have had the best luck with two and thats who Im sticking with. They are HSGI and ESSTAC.  I have also dealt with a lot of great dealers on this site but , my latest dealing was with GWENTAC, AKA brassburn, You all know him and the Misses of course, But Jeff takes the cake. I bought a couple of the ESSTAC ACU pattern pouches from him a few weeks ago , when they arrived I could not believe the quality. STUART , makes great stuff for sure! I called Jeff at GWENTAC and told him I would love to get some other pouches and possibly a BOAR made up in ACU, (not holding my breath of course) Low and behold 3 weeks later look what Jeff (brassburn) and Stuart were able to do for me.

yes thats an HSGI radio on the end the rest are all ESSTAC!!!!
BOAR , PACK RAT, MAG POUCHES, MEDICAL POUCH.

Mag pouches

Over the next several weeks Im going to put this gear through its paces during training excercises and potentially the Army (AMU) Designated Marksman Course late this year, (If The 81st approves my funding).
Initial thoughts and observations are that this is well above PAR for the Industry, Very heavy duty seams , so strong you could hang from them. Color is exactly with my Camelbak Mother load and Just a little darker than New Body Armor and Uniforms. We havent been issued them yet, but a couple of the guys got orders Individually with the 101st and were at the Reserve center today, Sorry no pics yet of them.
The gear is well thought out and user friendly. Buckles on My rig were Coyote but will be in Foliage Green Jeff told me . As you can see 2 of the mag pouches are FG and 2 are Khaki.
Stay tuned guys I'll be bringing you more info and revues as the weeks and months go Bye.
 Jeff and Gwentac without question came through for me and busted his ass to do so.
Thanks and I highly recommend visiting his site
www.gwentac.com
chuck
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Another fan of ESSTAC.
$25 for a pouch is easy to justify and the quality is exceptional.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Those look like really good pouches but I am a fan of the battlelab series of pouches.

Props to the people and companies who support the military.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
BL are pretty good stuff I agree but I can assure you these are Stronger.
The Mag pouches are the "Short" with Buckles, Basically they have a shorter flap but also have the Buckle. I have a "Long" Inbound also That I ordered to compare them. The long version has a longer flap and no Buckle, Similar to BL . The thing I like about these is the mouth is re inforced with scuba webbing which makes them easier to remove and then re insert mags after they are spent. A dumper can only hold so many then you can put them back in the pouches easy. The mag flap is stiff enough that it falls back down onto the Hook and loop for retention. I have never been a fan of the bungy type retention on BHI and BL pouches I usually cut it off the pouches because re inserting mags is to hard in a stressful situation.
my $.02.
Before anyone asks, NO I dont work for Stuart or brassburn, just a fan of great gear.
chuck
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have nothing but praise for Jeff & Co.!

I just wanted some piddly stuff like a Packrat and some other junk.
Esstac had not yet finished the 'rats and Jeff always took the time to
let me know when they'd be ready.  Without me asking.

It's just little stuff that shows who actually gives a crap about their customers!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a few more things in from jeff, that I "had" to have, Ill get some pics up and a review soon of these items.
chuck
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
just wanted to say, brass hooked me up with the mc nalgene plain pouch i was lookin for. got it quick like.
brass is a cool kat too. now only if he can come down to our socal monthly shoots,  that would be fun.

thanks brass for the quick service. +1 for gwentac.

we arfcommers are a very fortunate bunch to have so many quality dealers . i'd say most of them, if not all are commited to the high quality of service that is second to none imho. just need more money,ammo ,guns , and gear.

meat

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the  Boar hold .308 mags well? More specifically G-3 mags. Oh yeah Mrs. Brassburn Freakin Rocks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Brass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I was able to take the rig out to the range today and see how she rides.
(no pun intended toward Stuart's Girl or Mrs. Brassburn )
Anyway ballance was very good (sorry no action shots as at the moment
my shooting buddy is deployed.)
Ease of access was excellant to mag pouches.
Current set up which seams to work for me will allow carry of 14 mags but Im only carrying between
8-10. I was also using the Esstac mag pouch as a pouch for my ACOG when I was "hit'n it" with Irons, (just got a TROY BUIS)
I use the other mag pouch for Mini Bi-nocs or GPS also.
Current set up is left to right.
HSGI Radio pouch
ALL the rest are ESSTAC, 2 mag pouch, Pack Rat, double shingle
(new, thanks Jeff), 2 mag pouch no buckle, Samll utility/ med. pouch with 3 single
mag pouches on outside.

Threw in some of my CB Motherload with ESSTAC Nalgene and Med Utility as well.

As you can see Im in Civilian attire for todays pics. I will be taking some pics during Training in the near future, and giving you the skinny on how the rig rides over the IBA and real world Hooah training, Ill try to slip some Demo shots in as well.
Anyway Im impressed. Very hard core gear. Boar rides more comfortable than ALL chest rigs Ive owned so far. It realy hugs the body well due to the separate mag pouches.
My only Improvement recommendation is that you may want to consider an X-harness of some sort,  without IBA or probably even with IBA as the sstraps are Uncomfortable as is always the case.
Im told STuart is going to offer them soon for the Boar and BB. I cant wait.

More to come..............................
chuck
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Hahahahaha
Thanks to you Jeff and Stuart of course.
I forgot this pic, This is of the Boar from the top down, This is what I love about her,

NOTE:
Internal mag pouches are slightly open because they independant, They do close when worn but not as much as other rigs.

Note:
How Boar is Bent and rest on ground with 5 mags in it. It stays in this position WITHOUT assistance because of the Independant pouches, This is what Balances it so well.

Note:
New Double shingle is made the same way as BOAR. This makes it very easy and Fast as Hell to draw mags..

I tell you what, Im fast liking this rig more and more guys!!!!
chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top