Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 5:51:34 PM EDT
We all know that the HSLD crowd seems to have decided the Merrell's are the way to go.  But while I trust their gear selection ability, I DO want a good pair of AT shoes, but not be "yet another guy with 5.11s and Merrells".  While shopping online for some Teva's for the Mrs., I came across these, and they seemed like a good pair of shoes.  Anyone have any feedback?  Based on how all my other Tevas have held up under incessant abuse, I would think they would be some great shoes

Product Description

Shown in desert colors
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Look kinda ghey to me Marty. But then, I prefer Danners.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Look kinda ghey to me Marty. But then, I prefer Danners.

Acadia boots, sure, but I was looking for something lighter and more maneuverable.  I love wearing boots (the Mrs hates it when I mow in shorts, Jungle boots, boonie hat and raid shirt ....)  This is more for me trail running etc rather than going "in country"

WHOOPS!  Just found the Agitators ... hmm, from Danner .... these the ones you use?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Marty, The Agitators are good looking boots, however, I have a pair of the Radical 452 GTX that are real tough and look good too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My $.02, for the money Merrells are bomb proof I've got a pair on right now that are trail shoes and I've been wearing them in the sandbox for the last 3 months and they look great.  The Vibram sole makes the difference.  I've got a pair of Oakley Asslt's too, they are basicly a combat tennis shoe, great support and tough.  I've had to run in these and they are fairly light as well.  Little pricey on the outside but I'd by them off Ebay.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Marty, The Agitators are good looking boots, however, I have a pair of the Radical 452 GTX that are real tough and look good too.

+1 that's all I've been wearing since they came out and they have improved the design. Danner all the way
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Montrail also makes great trail shoes.

Montrail Web Site

My personal favorite is the Vitesse but shoes like the Mojave XCR and the Tamarack are also great and a bit more stout.  Most people have not heard of Montrail but they make great products.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair of Merrell StreachIIs that are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a pair of Merrell StreachIIs that are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned

Reflex and Pulse here. I always buy two pair when I buy shoes. Just cracked open my Pulse shoes this year. I like the reflex just a little better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Great timing for this topic.

I have had a pair of Merrel Ventilators for about a year now. They have been used to just walking around on normal surfaces you'd encounter at a desk job and the gym.

However, I decided to use them for a hiking trip through the grand Canyons Havasue Indian reservation trails. This is a 10 mile down hill and along a old water bed trails in and more trails past the village and back.  The terrain is mostly river rock beds, trails, river banks, and soft red dirt(From sedmentary rocks of the Grand Canyons).

These shoes are now toast. The soles now feel very hard to walk around in. The seams at the toe area are coming un-glued. Time to find another brand of out doors trail shoes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Were they beat before you went???

10 miles isn't very far, even on rock.  To have your shoes fall apart as a result is not a strong endorsement for them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

10 miles isn't very far, even on rock.  To have your shoes fall apart as a result is not a strong endorsement for them.

Not at all. They were in damned good shape before then. And the cushion was great up to that point. The Grand Canyon trails just killed them. Remmeber it was 10 miles in, 10 miles out, and other trails inbetween while we hiked and climbed to see water falls and rock formations.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all. They were in damned good shape before then. And the cushion was great up to that point. The Grand Canyon trails just killed them. Remmeber it was 10 miles in, 10 miles out, and other trails inbetween while we hiked and climbed to see water falls and rock formations.

Even so, make it 50 miles, they should have held up better than that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Merrell Sawtooth

damn good boots
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I LOVE my Asolo's.  Best boot/shoe I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
CAR-15,

Which model ASOLO's do you have.  They make good boots.  They have a nice web site, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If you wanted something a lot cheaper you might check out Hi-Tec Pathfinder.   I bought mine on sale for $25 buck and they've held up incredibly well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Which model ASOLO's do you have. They make good boots. They have a nice web site, too.

I believe that they are the FSN-95 model.  I have had them going on 3 years now and other than making a little "squeak" when I walk, they are awesome.  Tough as nails.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used my Merrell Vetilator IIs for daily wear for about 4 months, on the AT for about 30 miles, and a 2-day shoot.  They are very comfy on the trail with a light pack weight, but when I hike with +40 lbs. on my back, I use my Montrail boots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Skip the Tevas. I like their sandals and their water shoes, but their regular shoes ain't that great.

I have a pair of Garmont Eclipse XCRs that I love! (That's not a name you hear often in the know-all, HSLD area)

I use Salomons for lightweight/trail running. Nike is another good choice.

And Asolo makes a good pair of mids (Check out the Fusion 95).

I have a pair of Merrells Mids that are 10 years old. Good boot, I section-hiked the AT with 'em. Other than their durability, there isn't much special about them (blasphemy!). Not particularly comfortable...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top