Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2005 9:41:11 AM EDT
And if so why?

What purpose do they serve?
Reduce the heat transfer from the handguards to your hands?
Better grip?
Does cold weather ever play a factor in the use of shooting gloves or are they not very insulated for that purpose?
Everyone else is doing it?
They look cool?

Seriously though... not trying to shit on anyone's preference for gear. Just wanted to know the different reasons people use them.

Personally I never really saw/understood the need. However I don't shoot competitively or anything like that.
*poll cumming.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#1]
better grip
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]
When I shoot my 329PD in .44 Mag I wear them, with padded palm.  Hurts like hell otherwise.

Still not sure why I bought that stupid gun.......
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So you could justify buying the gloves?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Last week I ran qualification with ARs.  Two of which were RRA with the Surefire rail system.   Only the Surefire ladder rail covers where used on these rifles.  Between the number of rounds fired and having a black gun lying on the ground in 100 degree sun between stages/shooters... soon they were too hot to hold.

There were no gloves and there was a bunch of whining about how hot the rifles were!

I guess the part where I emailed everyone bring equipment for hot weather did not sink in.  There was just as much whining about laying on asphalt for the prone stage.  That was a little hot also.  

I have gloves but only use them in cases like above... not every shooting session.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you could justify buying the gloves?

Makes as much sense as any other reason I've come up with......
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I use 1 glove on my support hand esp in competitions.  Reason?  It keeps my hand from being destroyed by my sling.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I wear them sometimes, usually when shooting my AR, but only when it's really cold or really hot (which is most of the time here in AZ.)  Usually I war nomex flight gloves, but there is a pair of Hatch Operator gloves that I think I HAVE to buy...
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#10]

I sometimes wear nomex flight gloves, in cool weather.
They give great grip and feel, as well as being comfy.
They arent really very warm, but just enough on cold mornings etc.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I shattered my wrist when a ladder I was working from broke.  I almost always use gloves when shooting trap as it tends to be hot here in the summer and gloves over sweaty palms tend to provide better handling of my shotgun.  Otherwise, I'll use them ~ 50% of the time at the NRA range shooting pistol.  I've found the padding helpful for more comfortable shooting with a bum wrist.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]
originally from McGrubbs

Nomex flyer's gloves

#1 Heat protection
#2 Cold prtotection (depending on time of year)
#3 Protection from nicks, cuts, etc....
#4 Good (better?) grip on things

Not necessairly in that exact order though

I'll take Monty's answer for $500 please Alex.....

Right on the money. I wear the CVC version(Combat Vehicle Crewmen) nomex gloxes and have for a shit load of years. anytime your around weapons the risk of Burns and cuts/scraps/gashes,etc are highly prevelent. I burned my left hand a week or two ago playing a modified Shotgun 3 gun competition. I was not planning on shooting and a guy loaned me his 870 and 26 shotshells. when I rolled the shotty over I came in contact with the barrel. 26 rounds later I had 3 really nice burn blisters and a cut bleeding profusely on my trigger finger. and not a clue as to what happened.

Flesh is pretty wimpy stuff and it's easy to damage yourself if you doing a little competing under the clock or executing a malfuction drill  or reload drill with a little speed and gusto. And to me gloves are like weights on a base ball bat. (I love that anology) if you can manipulate your weapons and perform all your drills with them on, then it's even easier when you don't have them on.

The problem most folks have is they don't use them when they practice/train and then they go to a 2-5 day class with their spanky brand new pair of -Insert favorite brand of glove here- and then they find out they don't like them cause it makes manipulation seem weird and awkward. it slows them down and makes them feel like their slower then they feel they should be. So they take them off. if your gonna use them, use them ALOT. else your just wasting your time.

Just my $02 from a guy with a pair of gloves......
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I use nomex gloves when it is cold or when the rifle gets hot.  They're thin enough to have some dexterity.

I took a shotgun class when it was February, and partly cloudy and windy with temps in the upper 40s.  I ended up taking them off when using the shotgun, because I couldn't load well with them on.  After the shooting is over, I put them back on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]

For me it just depends...I use my Nomex gloves.

In the heat to avoid sweat and get a better grip.
In the cool to keep some warmth and avoid contact with cold metal parts.
When I'm lazy I don't wear them at all.

But most of the time I wear them to look COOL.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Better grip, and saves the hands from getting too torn up when load mags, dropping and rolling, clearing jams, etc.

Also, if you can do an IA with gloves on, you can cut your time in half when you aren't wearing glvoes, so it is great practice for when you have to do one in a real world situation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]

The problem most folks have is they don't use them when they practice/train and then they go to a 2-5 day class with their spanky brand new pair of -Insert favorite brand of glove here- and then they find out they don't like them cause it makes manipulation seem weird and awkward. it slows them down and makes them feel like their slower then they feel they should be. So they take them off. if your gonna use them, use them ALOT. else your just wasting your time.

Just my $02 from a guy with a pair of gloves......

Amen!  They are practically required in the Marine Infantry in training (but not during rifle qual) so you can get used to wearing them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't shoot handguns with gloves on.  I can shoot rifles with gloves, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If you practice you can. that's the Point. if it's not that important to you, then it's no big deal. but if you practice with them, you can master shooting handguns with gloves. (Any Cops from Alaska to chime in.....)

Back in the day  When we would go out on manuevers I always had my gloves on, even when it was 98F with 90% humididty. it's all in how you train. I know some guys just CANNOT fuction a pistol with full fingered gloves. So you may have to cut the fingers off the gloves to give ya a better Tactile feel. but at least your  protecting you hands with fingerless gloves over no gloves at all. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I sometimes practice with my Hatch Operators on.  I want the shorties, because my arms get hot easily, and the length of the full operators is too long for summer use.

My reasons are mainly: summer?  grip.  Sweaty hands and teflon mags don't really mix, nor do rifles and sweaty hands.  Keeps things cleaner, keeps me holding onto them.  Winter?  Warmth.  The operators work okay for GA in the coldest temps.  without them, I have gone to the range in sub-freezing temps and been completely unable to shoot.  With them, I can do okay.  They're by no means cold-weather gloves, but they do add a certain amount of grip that I like on my teflon coated mags.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#20]
My glove useage has been dictated by the use and conditions.

Back many moons ago while a humble machine gunner for the Unkle Sams Misguided Children club you had either them large black gloves that were useless or you came up with your own stuff since, during gun competitions I started using some (tight fitting)golf gloves that were thin enough to feel the parts and keep the hand from either burning from quick contact on the bbl during changes or getting cut up taking that leaf spring off the side of the trigger housing in timed breakdown and assemble drills.

Later on the nomex gloves were used but problems encountered were the stitching along the fingers started to come frayed and if you cut the fingers short they didnt last long even with sinple stitching.

During curent training the glove of choice has became some tight fitting weight lifting gloves, these are built sturdy (and cheap) will hold up to doing pushups in the hot gravel/pavement, rope work, and weapon drills. The fingers are exposed enough to to all the dexterity stuff yet the padding helps the hands from being trashed. Once it starts getting cold around here the nomex will have to do.

edit for gooder spelling
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My reasons are mainly: summer?  grip.  Sweaty hands and teflon mags don't really mix, nor do rifles and sweaty hands.  Keeps things cleaner, keeps me holding onto them.

For the "sweaty hands" users: are there any textured pistol grips/rail panels that cut down on the "sweat slippery" factor so that you coud almost ditch the gloves?

I wonder, and I'm not trying to try to turn anyone off of the use of gloves or anything, but could you put something like the "closed-cell foam overtube" [used on Ace Ltd AFRX stocks] over a regular pistol grip, or maybe make cutouts to attach to certain parts of the grip that would make it better to grip with "sweaty" hands... since the foam would kind of absord the sweat?

Or would it just end up leaving you with a funky, smelly rifle at the end of the day?
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Uses my weight training gloves in the summer and a pair of nomex gloves in the winter. Put about 450 rounds through  your AR in August when it is 95 degrees outside and the humidity is about equal. On top of that have single lined handguards and cheap, hot loaded Malaysian ammo.  Both of the palms of my hands were completely blistered.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer to wear gloves for 2 reasons, A: it keeps my hands from slipping when they're sweaty, and B: more importantly, they keep my hands clean.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Nomex flyer's gloves

#1 Heat protection

Not necessairly in that exact order though....

Same type used here

and add

#5 Keep hands clean
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
When I’m shooting my pistols I might wear a pair of leather driving gloves.
Other wise I don’t bother.

On the other hand when I’m loading pistol magazines I Always wear gloves.    Pistol ammunition always seems to be much dirtier than rifle ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I use shooting gloves when the weather drops to 20 or below.  It's simply a matter of comfort and allowing me to shoot longer.  Otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah, keep em with my driving gloves.
Just kidding, not just no, but fuckno!

Maybe if i was still an 11b, out in the bush chasing BGs, but not at the range or for rec shooting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I started wearing mine during classes after i realized that every time i took a class i ended up bleeding.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I do not use an insulated glove.
Gloves assist in protecting my hands from damage, sharp objects and a myriad of diseases.

Gloves keep my hands warmer in the rain & snow. I honestly feel I have a more secure grip in those conditions. I have had frostbite in my hands 3 times and if they get cold, my reaction times are noticeably slower.

Pure Superstition: I am of the belief that with my gloves on I can get a better purchase and presentation/first shot every time. With gloves on, I seldom feel the need to “adjust” grip on the weapon. Never really gave the confidence aspect much thought until now, maybe it is just putting on the game face.

Everyone else I know wears them & they look cool with Arcadia's.

It is a necessity for me to wear gloves every day. It's kind of a moot point in my life. It only makes sense that I should always have to train & (this is a biggie) QUALIFY with all weapons in them.

I have been wearing the Hatch Sure Shot for about 5 years. The dexterity and sensitivity are the best/thinnest I have encountered. The problem is I am beginning to develop a hatred for the color black. The kids always get excited about getting to wear black & drop legs; I just want to wear jeans and cowboy boots.

Gloves are like condoms; I always consider it a thrill when I get to shoot without them.

A1 Clear
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I wear my shorty operator gloves for three reasons:

1. Grip
2. heat
3. b/c I look damn cool wearing them
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Good for the thumb on repeated mag loading.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#33]
i always seem to manage to cut, scrape, abrade, burn......

... my hands.  in training at work, we wear them, so i try to train like i'll fight.

at work, we try to keep from being exposed to all those nasty germ type things that dirt bags have about them.  they hav'nt discovered showers it seems like.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I have worn mine every time I go shooting, at least for the last 2 years.  I work for my local FD, and about 2 years ago we were called out on an 80 yo male who was shot in the hand.  We arrived to find he had taken his Remmington Sportsman 48 12 gauge out after a snake that was out side his house.  

He loaded one round and fired, the gun didn't go off.  He ejected the round, loaded another and fired at the snake.  This time, the shotgun exploded in his hands right in front of the action.  

It took us about 20 minutes to locate all his fingers after searching the bushes. If you can call him lucky, he only ended up losing 2. Good docs in our area.

After a little investigating, we found a whole 20 gauge shell lodged in the barrel.  That one was the initial one he tried to fire.  He thought he had ejected it after it didn't go off.  That one followed up with a 12 did the gun in and just about him.

Moral of the story, I don't know how much my gloves will protect me if something happens, but I am going to have them on....with my hearing protection, and eye protection.  And my kids wear them too......
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I started wearing gloves shooting when I got an AK. I always hated to get the lacquer from steel case ammo on my hands. Turned em green. Havent stopped since then. Also I get a better gripp on my glock when my hands are sweaty. Also I came from NY, me and my buddies shot alot out at Calverton range in the winter. Wouldnt want to shoot without gloves when its 45 degrees or less outside.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
All the time.  Either Nomex flyers gloves or Easton batting gloves.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got a pair of Hatch CQB model SOG-F20 (desert tan) gloves on E-Bay for $25 new.  I've been looking at these for a long time (at around $40.)  Once I saw them for $25 I grabbed one pair up.  Should be here in 2 days, I'll let you know how they are.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Train as you fight. Urban areas are places you want to wear gloves when working.

I have been wearing BlackHawk SOLAGs for work for a while. Good dexterity and fairly well made, but the shit will melt.

I also got an ebay coup, but I got a new pair of Southwest Motorsports Friction Fighters for $20.00

SWMS Friction Fighter at Tactical Tailor

Unless I lose them, I don't think I will ever need another pair.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I shoot year round on a near weekly basis, so my shooting gloves see a lot of action in the winter months.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Mechanix Originals or Impacts.  I seem to be able to burn or cut myself every time I shoot, so it bacame a habit.  Now I make it a point to train with them as well.  

I have a pair of BHI SOLAGs and can't make up my mind if I lke them or not.  They fit well enough, just can't gat used to the pre-curved fingers.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Just got a pair of Hatch CQB model SOG-F20 (desert tan) gloves on E-Bay for $25 new.  I've been looking at these for a long time (at around $40.)  Once I saw them for $25 I grabbed one pair up.  Should be here in 2 days, I'll let you know how they are.

Well... I received my gloves today.  WOW!  Even better than I expedcted.  They fit great & feel great!  They are mainly nomex and kevlar.  Now I need to go shoot and try them out.  I already thinking of getting another pair in sage green....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#42]
How is teh dexterity on those? Can you pick up loose change off the floor with them on?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#43]
They actually surprised me.  The dexterity is very good.  I actually expected a lot less.  I can pick up loose change off my counter top.  I think I love these gloves....  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
For me it just depends...I use my Nomex gloves.

In the heat to avoid sweat and get a better grip.
In the cool to keep some warmth and avoid contact with cold metal parts.
When I'm lazy I don't wear them at all.

But most of the time I wear them to look COOL.

If you just want gloves that look pretty damn COOL, look no further than the Oakley "Factory Pilot" Gloves:

From the description:

The Oakley MTB Factory Pilot Gloves offer all-weather performance with Kevlar® palm reinforcement, carbon fiber knuckle plating, mesh zones for coolness, and rubber exhaust ports for breathability. They are constructed with four-way stretch material and Airprene® joint panels for superior fit and dexterity. The full-coverage design features capped fingertips, nonrestrictive Airprene® mid-height cuff with secure Velcro® closure, non-bulky palm padding, high-grip surfacing on palms and fingers, flexible articulate construction, and textured pull for easy donning.

If you're down to just your pistol, and even that fails or runs out of ammo, you could probably really go to town on someone swinging those carbon-fiber knuckle-plates at them
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Actually those gloves (now called Oakley SI Assault gloves) are apparently the heat. They also come in tan now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Protection from heat and cold, nicks and scrapes, better grip, and in case I experience "dynamic deconstruction" when shooting a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nomex flyer's gloves

#1 Heat protection

Not necessairly in that exact order though....

Same type used here

and add

#5 Keep hands clean

+1 to the above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top