Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 8:27:21 PM EDT
im looking for a for my first LBV and need some recommendations.  I am thinking of the SOE Lightfighter  What do you guys think.  price doesnt matter.  I just want the best vest money can buy.  thanks in advance

Remman
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The SOE Lightfighter is a great vest, the design is a bit dated, but it's built like a brick shithouse (like all SOE stuff).

It is very expensive (read around $550) for the vest, upper pouches, butt pack and camelback carrier.  For that kind of money, you could get a modular rig and bunch of pouches and have a setup that can be altered by you when you see fit.  You can't do that with the Lightfighter vest.

Get a MAV or Hellcat and a bunch of pouches.  You'll spend quite a bit less and have more versatile rig.

JMO
YMMV

Edited to add:  I noticed that price is of no concern to you.  In that case, get a RAV kit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, that's a fuckton too expensive.  you can get a MOLLE FLC or some other molle vest and attach a bunch of SOE magpouches to it if you want.  however, i now hate SOE magpouches.  well, not quite hate, but i dislike them.  they're flimsy (which most people are used to, having dealt with USGI gear), and good in concept, but slow in practice.  the lids are entirely too long, and when you're doing mag changes, that gets in the way.  it's hard to move them back up out of the way, because of how floppy they are.  i do like the fastex buckles and velcro, for added security.  however, if you end up with a modular setup, i would go with Essential Tactical magpouches for sure.  they're stiff, sturdy, and they're actually MILSPEC in the PALS webbing on the back, for which tactical tailor and SOE are not particularly known.  

look at the mag pouches here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
After having gone through a couple different vest and chest carrier options here is my advice.  First figure out what you are going to use the vest for, military, field shooting trips, competition, CQB training, SHTF etc...  Layout all of the gear that you plan to carry in the vest given your needs and then ask yourself if you are really going to carry all that gear for your planned usage as opposed to more ammo or water.  I found that many of those extra pockets filled with stuff get in the way of quick mag changes, access to backup weapons (a vest might cover up your sidearm and you may need a different holster setup like a drop leg), limit me in positional shooting and for my uses (mainly CQB training) a lighter more simple vest or chest carrier is what works best for me.  Some of my training partners find chest rigs put too much weight on their front and it hurts their back.  Vest tend to distribute load better.  Are you going to wear body armor?  If so, then make sure you get a compatible rig.  A MOLLE type unit offers a great deal of flexibilty.  My next purchase will be this with a few additional GP pockets.  If you plan on riding in a vehicle while wearing your rig, I have found that chest carriers and a good backpack is a good combo because you can take off the pack but you stiff have first line gear available on the chest rig.  Here in Arizona, vest can get hot, so a well ventelated vest would be key.  If money is no object, then I would get several different less expensive rigs to test out in the field or in training see which option works best for you.  You can always sell the rigs that did not work out on the EE board.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The SOE vest only costs around 3 bills and if you like the LBV as opposed to chest rigs that is the one to get. Different strokes for different folks. I like LBV's so there is my .02 and it is worth what you paid.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The SOE vest only costs around 3 bills and if you like the LBV as opposed to chest rigs that is the one to get. Different strokes for different folks. I like LBV's so there is my .02 and it is worth what you paid.

The Lightfighter vest goes for around $375.  Add the upper pouches, belt, Camelbak cover, and butt pack and you will be over $500.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't really understand the point of paying hundreds of dollars for an LBV, which you can't add to or change. MOLLE chest carriers are the way to go. In fact, go for.....a Weesatch!! Pretty inexpensive and you can mod it till the end of time!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion, the S.O. Tech Patrol Vest is the best LBV-style rig out there... and it's not too expensive considering the competition and legendary S.O. Tech durability.  It will probably be my next vest purchase, but first I need to get rid of some of this extra stuff laying around that I never use...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't really understand the point of paying hundreds of dollars for an LBV, which you can't add to or change. MOLLE chest carriers are the way to go. In fact, go for.....a Weesatch!! Pretty inexpensive and you can mod it till the end of time!

As I just posted, I'm probably going to get a SO Tech Patrol Vest... that's in addition to the Weesatch that I currently have loaded out.  There are times that don't call for 12+lbs of armor plates hanging around, and I don't like how the Weesatch rides without the plates (much less trying to wear a pack over that thing).  Probably going back to my army days, I prefer a vest for extended wear and humping around with a pack on and what not.  However, plate carriers can't be beat when you want Level IV protection front and rear.

-Randy
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Gear is a personal thing. What works for one person will not work for any one else. The point is I attend quite a few classes and people have gear they have never put on much less used.

Not every one will like a chest rig. For some people it does not work well.

I have been useing a Harris Assault Vest for ten+ years now and it has seen alot of abuse in the field. Believe me I have tried many pieces of gear but I go back to that every time.  Also I like deticated pouches they offer less flop plus I already know what I want.

Gene makes great gear don't get me wrong I met the man himself at the shot show a nice guy.

But expect to buy and sell many pieces of gear before you find what works for you.

Opinions are like assholes every body has got one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top