Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 3:19:21 PM EDT
Where's the best place online to buy?

I don't  need anything special, just pretty much whatever is issued.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What I now call Gulf War I boots are in most of the surplus stores as everyone is getting the new Bellville and Altimas ect.

Heard really good things about the Oakley Assault boots.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the Wellco boots on the Lightfighter website any good?

www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=638&HS=1
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, good to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Belleville - the only way to go.  Order straight from Belleville...$140 if I remember correctly.  

I believe this is still what the Marines are issued.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
From my personal experience after 11 months in iraq as an mp a every day boot i like the magnum amazon4 74.95 from www.tacgear.com very light and comfy. the british issue the magnum to their troops.  for a gortex boot the danner 8" acadia  199.95 these are desert versions of the same boots i've worn in law enforcement/swat a great combo ,just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the Danner Desert Acadias and so far have been very impressed with them. I love my other Danner boots and they've been through hell and are still goin strong. If you have narrow feet as I do, I suggest Danner.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah, something I have a lot of.  Desert Boots.  I've had the following:

USGI Issue (Worn since 1992) - These are the regular ones you've seen for years.  They're styled after the original jungle boots, but with an upper in all nylon, and no padded collar.  Buy US made ones only.  Stay away from Altama if possible...Altamas are fine for just wearing occasionally, but for combat or field use, avoid.  Wellco.com sells the updated original style boot, with padded collar and larger box toe.  Rosearch Panama Sole.  Since these are Direct Molded Sole, you'll need to find a good shoe repair place for resole.

Danner Desert Acadias (Worn since May, 2003) - These I purchased from Texas Tactical Gear, but are carried by other online sellers, including Lightfighter.com.  These are heavier boots, with a steel shank and padding, and in a darker color called olive mojave.  These are excellent boots, but sizing is iffy.  I wear a 11.5 Reg and had to have a 11.5 Wide.  Of all the ones I have, they are the most expensive, somewhere below $200 is a good price.  Made in the USA.  Vibram Sierra outsole.  This are capable of being resoled and Danner recommends sending the boots back to them.

Wellco Desert ICV (1st pair April, 2004, 2nd Pair July 2004) - These are good lightweight boots that I purchased directly from Wellco.com  They are an improvement over the older issue boots because of the removal of the hard DMS sole and replacement of their "Tuffkushion" sole, which is easier on the feet.  These do not have a steel shank in them, and are very light.  Color is lighter.  The sizing is iffy, so try a 1/2 size up from what you wear first.  My first pair were too small, and my second pair was just right.  $80-90 is what you see them for online, and can get them at Lightfighter.com and Practicaltactical.com as well.  They have components which are assembled in the Dominican Republic.  Wellco sole similar to Vibram Sierra.  Resoling can be done.

Belleville 790D (December, 2003) - These I just happened to find brand new in my local surplus store, and in my size (11.5 Reg).  These are the Goretex lined model, and are very comfortable and waterresistant.  I wear these in the cooler months.  They are heaver than the Wellco ICV Deserts but lighter than the Danners.  They are the lighter desert color.  You can order them from Bellville directly via the internet.  I think they run about $150 or so.  Made in USA.  Vibram Sierra outsole.  Can be resoled.

Belleville 300D (May, 2003) - These are good boots too.  Lightweight.  Instead of mostly nylon on the sides, they have more leather.  Mine must have been mismarked since they were huge on my feet.  I since replaced the insoles with Superfeet Inserts and wear Smartwool Socks and they fit a little loose, but no problems yet.  Made in USA.  I got mine for $110 or so direct from Belleville.  These are also the lighter desert tan color.  Vibram Sierra outsole.  Can be resoled.

More info than you wanted to know, I'm sure.  My boots have replaced all of my regular footwear.  Just make sure you get something that fits well, and take care of the leather.  I also recommend heavily Superfeet inserts.  They're called footbeds because they hold your feet in place better than insoles, preventing the slippage that results in blisters or foot problems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wellco Desert ICV (1st pair April, 2004, 2nd Pair July 2004) - These are good lightweight boots that I purchased directly from Wellco.com  They are an improvement over the older issue boots because of the removal of the hard DMS sole and replacement of their "Tuffkushion" sole, which is easier on the feet.  These do not have a steel shank in them, and are very light.  Color is lighter.  The sizing is iffy, so try a 1/2 size up from what you wear first.  My first pair were too small, and my second pair was just right.  $80-90 is what you see them for online, and can get them at Lightfighter.com and Practicaltactical.com as well.  They have components which are assembled in the Dominican Republic.  Wellco sole similar to Vibram Sierra.  Resoling can be done.

I also purchased a pair of ICB's direct from Wellco before they were available from Lightfighter.  Very lightweight.  The laces also go further down your foot, which makes them more adjustable than issue boots and good if you have high arch/instep.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
What's wrong with Altama's? One of the guys who just got back told me to get some Altama ripple sole and have the insoles covered with leather.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a fan of Altamas because mine were neither true to size or held up to minimal field work.  Mind you, I only had jungle Altamas that came out in the mid 1990s.  

The first pair was a pair of green JBs.  Aside from not having the right number of eyelets, they were a 1/2 size smaller than marked.  The sole was made from a softer rubber than your typical issue boot, which was comfortable on cement, but didn't hold up for more than a six months before the heels were too worn.  The canvas had bad stitching around the outside reinforcement band on my right boot, and I ended up with a nice hole.

I'm not or wasn't a pointy-end of the spear kinda guy, as this experience was from ROTC stuff.

The second pair was a pair of black JBs.  These were better looking and made than the other Altamas, better sized (purchased about a year later), but rapidly broke a rivet on one of the speed lace hooks.  Within a few months, the nylon side split from the back reinforcement (just above the heel, on both boots) and I had holes again.

Now, with that said, I won't by Altama any more, and won't recommend them, unless you just want a pair of street shoes, and even then Doc Martens maybe more comfortable.  Also, unless they've changed their ads since 1995 (after I purchased my last pair) they specifically stated "Not for military, field or combat use."

Ripple soles are comfortable, but are softer rubber, and wear much faster than other soles.  They are fine for road marches, but suck in the sand, mud, or going downhill.  I resoled a pair of issue JBs with the ripple sole, and don't recommend them for the aforementioned reasons.  I only purchase boots that have some form of tread like the Vibram Sierra or Ketterlift design (the former is what the Belleville and Danner have and the Wellco Tuffkushion is designed on, the latter is the typical mountain boot style, with '+' marks on the sole).

Good luck with your boot selection.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Altama makes two different grades of boot. One os for commercial sale, one is for military. The military boots have the rubber specified by the military, while the others have the cheaper rubber. I have pairs of both, and the military version is better built.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Altamas in general are not really suited to heavy field use.  Even their MilSpec boots aren't all that great.

The Welcos are good boots, but won't last that long, kind of light weights

Belleville, good boot, there were some issues with the endura sole on the 390s and MCCUUs, they are a little softer to give better comfort but because of this they tend to wear out quicker.  The MCCUU because of having a Cambrella liner are warmer than standard Desert boots.

Danners, really good boot but hot, I know some people can wear them but I know they are way too hot for desert wear.  Also if you have wide feet it is hard to get a Danner to fit right.

Bates, some people prefer these to the Belleville.  Personally a little to narrow for my feet.  The version for the Marine Corps have the same issue with the liner as the Belleville MCCUUs
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
If Matterhorn made some insulated desert boots, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. As is is, I have trouble finding some boots because my feet are so small. Danner starts off at 7, and I wear 6.5.

What are they issuing to people going to Iraq anyway? Do I really need to go out and get boots, or are the ones they are issuing good enough?

BTW, a steel shank is a must. Proper midsole support should not be ignored.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If Matterhorn made some insulated desert boots, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. As is is, I have trouble finding some boots because my feet are so small. Danner starts off at 7, and I wear 6.5.

What are they issuing to people going to Iraq anyway? Do I really need to go out and get boots, or are the ones they are issuing good enough?

BTW, a steel shank is a must. Proper midsole support should not be ignored.

I haven't seen much problems getting boots for out bound troops, unlike OIF I, there seems to be enough boots to go around.  But depending on who you are with you may either get Belleville 390 (pretty good boot, but go 1 size small since they are larger and wider than normal boots), Bates Desert boot, or if your unlucky the ODS/Swratzkopf boot (these tend to only last 3-5 months).  You don't want a steel shank in a Desert boot they will get hot as hell during summer months.  Most Deserts come with a Plastic/Nylon Shank instead.

Matterhorn now makes a Marine Boot, I think it is has a G-Tex, but not sure about that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If I get Bellevilles, I might just drive up to the factory to try some on. Belleville, IL, is only about an hour or so away from me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top