Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2003 8:07:19 PM EDT
I am buying a new tac vest and web gear and have decided the total system must carry the following:
1 full size semi-auto pistol
4 spare 15 round pistol mags
6 30 round AR mags
About 30-2/34" 12 shotshells

I will probably buy one of the following:

Blackhawk crossdraw pistol mag vest (6 AR mags, pistol, 4 pistol mags, and 18 shotshells) and a 12 round shotshell belt pouch.

OR

Blackhawk shotgun/rifle vest (6 AR mags, 28 shotshells) and a thigh holster(pistol and 1 spare mag), and a 3 pistol mag carrier on off side thigh.

Can anyone with experience with similar systems give me some advice regarding the usefullness and pros/cons of each?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't go with the crossdraw holster. A rifle mag pouch on those vests will hold a sidearm just as easy in a variety of locations on the vest while not taking away from the versatility of it. I would suggest the 6 pocket rifle vest. Six mags can be carried, one handgun, and then shotshell rounds can be inserted in the remaining two pouches in loops that pull out as well as 5 rounds on one of the chet pockets. I still would consider a thigh holster rig, as well as possibly a thigh mag rig on the left for versatility.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't go with the crossdraw holster. A rifle mag pouch on those vests will hold a sidearm just as easy in a variety of locations on the vest while not taking away from the versatility of it. I would suggest the 6 pocket rifle vest. Six mags can be carried, one handgun, and then shotshell rounds can be inserted in the remaining two pouches in loops that pull out as well as 5 rounds on one of the chet pockets. I still would consider a thigh holster rig, as well as possibly a thigh mag rig on the left for versatility.

The mag pouches hold 2 mags each. Ok never mind if ya read the un edited post I just re read the above and it clicked as to how you were saying to set it up. looooooooong day
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Two things to consider:

- If you plan on doing any practicing at a public range then you can't use the crossdraw because you end up sweeping the line with your muzzle every time you holster and unholster.

- If you have the holster attached to the vest, either as part of a crossdraw vest or as a regular holster attached to a web belt, then you are stuck with all or nothing.  There's no way to take the vest/web gear off and keep the pistol with you.

Those two issues are pretty big IMO and I'm not aware of any advantage to a crossdraw vest that can make up for the above disadvantages.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a Swat/Medic and have the Blackhawk vest with 6 rifle pouches. Most of the other Guys on my Team have the Cross draw vest and HATE it. You lose 6 mags and the only practical use we have found is for the Shield man who carries 2 pistols. As stated above you can carry your 2nd pistol in any of the mag pouchs securely. Also Black Hawk makes that vest with 3 pistol mags on left upper like the crossdraw vest you just have to ask for it. That is configuration I would buy if I did it again hind sight is 20/20. Hope this helps. And just one thought I have if you A.D. from a cross draw vest it is not going to be pretty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a Glock 27 in the pocket just the the left of the zipper or centerline. I don't htink drawing from this position has any left-hand sweep as one is drawing it up, out and forward. Something to maybe try.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I carry a Glock 27 in the pocket just the the left of the zipper or centerline. I don't htink drawing from this position has any left-hand sweep as one is drawing it up, out and forward. Something to maybe try.

If you are very careful to keep the muzzle pointed at the ground as you pull it out and rotate it to the front then you'll be safe, but that is both slow and awkward.

Regardless of how much you practice this motion dry in your living room most public ranges don't allow cross-draw holsters on the line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top