Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2003 7:32:18 PM EDT
IRR coated web gear questions: How to refinish non coated fabrics and gear? Which are the best colors of web gear to choose that are not treated?  What are some IRR treated gear choices?, etc.

Here are some mixed questions regarding factory fresh IRR treated web gear, etc.

What % of the popular big name web gear being sold publicly currently is anti infrared resistant coated like issue BDU fabrics that are treated during the manufacturing process?

Is there a process where non IRR coated manufactured web gear may be treated with a homemade formula of paint sprays-dyes to replicate the original factory treating dyes, perhaps also applied to plastics, kevlar, etc.?

Concerning non treated fabrics and web gear, what materials, colors and patterns are more resistant to NVDs, etc., making them a better choice? What little I think I know, indicates that natural fabrics are more resistant than man made, example being that a 100% Cotton IRR treated set of BDUs are more resistant to detection than a same pattern but 50-50% Pol-Cot bled IRR treated BDU set. A natural fleece vest is more resistant than a nylon jacket, etc. So wearing solid nylon non IRR treated tactical vest and holsters over BA and IRR treaded BDU's, the vest would shine more.....???  

Concerning non IRR treated nylon cordura, what is a more IRR resistant color, solid black, solid OD Green or Coyote Brown, which manufacturers...?

On another site some said that the sold OD Green nylon shoulder straps of their OD packs stood out to IR detection so much when worn over their camouflaged IRR treated BDUs that the packs were surplused and replaced with camouflaged versions, etc.

Was viewing some older 90's issue black and tan colored service handgun leather shoulder holsters that were IRR treated, and I just wanted to get an idea what if anything currently being sold publicly to us by the various web gear manufacturers is also IRR treated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been discussed around here in the past couple months so a search would be a good idea.

The biggest problem with IR treatment is that you want reflectivity to match the surroundings.  Being a 'dark' spot surrounded by a 'bright' background can be as bad as being shiny against a dark background.  The best cammo regardless of the spectrum it's being viewed in is local vegetation.

The next problem is that reflectivity in the IR spectrum doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the light reflected in the visible spectrum.  Generally an item will have the same reflection across the spectrum as it has in the visible spectrum.  Shiny white will still be bright, matte black will still be dark.  But there are exceptions and some things that are black, like plastic fastex buckles, can be shiny in the IR spectrum.

Basically you're going to have to check the specific items you're carrying to see how well they blend in with your AO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's some products.

http://www.atsko.com/products.html

There is no 'spray' that will make you invisible.Use every tool at your disposal,make friends with someone who has NV equipment.Nature(dirt,mud ,foliage,all with ambient reflectivity) will provide the best camoflage,but if your boots glow like lightbulbs in the moonlight,your SOL.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
On a related point, there were some walking tree type Ghillie suits by a certain US manufacturer available to the general public that were factory treated with anti Radar, Thermal and IR. dyes. These required State Dept. approval for shipments outside the US falling into Category X. US Munitions List.  I'm not sure if that was because of the treatments or if web gear and sniper suits treated or untreated in general are under that classification.

Hoplophile, Thanks for the search function recommendation, I have to learn how to use the site better doing the search, for some reason I can only search 30 days of messages here, unable to do months and find that topic you mention.

Thank you all for the responses
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
There's some limits on the search function depending on membership status.  I'll see what I can find for you.

Edited to add that you should do some Google searches.  When I was researching this a few months ago I found some really good info on the 'regular' internet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top