Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2003 12:54:25 PM EDT
Got a reccomendation from JAMES at lightfighter who has been an awsome help just want some more opinions

i want to carry ammo for my Glock and my M4 while at training classes/range and also while walking my property dont really want a full vest but need to carry
4-8 ar mags
2-4 pistol mags
Utility pouch- food gps compass ect
would like a dump pouch
i already wear my glock in a uncle mikes thigh rig on my right leg

James reccomened

Eagle SAS dump bag
Soe SUBLOAD
a General purpose pouch
on an eagle belt
with maybe an extra pistol mag pouch

any other ideas?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Bult, It sounds like you have been steered in the right direction.

My only though on the matter might be, that you look into a custom gear maker named military Moron or MM for short, who posts his gear over in Lightfighters discussoin boards, under the Gear Studs title.

MM is selling just about the neatest dump bag I've ever seen, it folds up on your belt into the size of a large fist and all you have to do to deploy it is rip the vercro and it folds down into a very well designed drop bag.

MM is selling these things for about half the price of the Eagle drop bag, and he has a lot of pics up, they appear to be very well made.

Holy cats, that was my 1500th post.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
prolly should have said my uses

this will be for classes and for patroling my property up north durability is a def issue but it sounds like im on the right track
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are all quality pieces you can't go wrong with!!!
My preference in a thigh rig is High speed gears Mag Thigh rig= it holds 4- M4/AK/FALS magazines in a staggered setup for easier access,it holds 4- double stack mags or 8- single stack mags ( 2 on either side of the rifle mag pouches) with a place behind the main body set on HSGI's diamond mesh suspension system to make is extremely comfortable and to eliminate any movement on your leg while running.
www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p97b2d07755ac9b0cb48f209b739ff281/fb0d5e39.jpg=
And the other thigh rig is SOTECH's MTR 4 mags 2 pistol pouches on SOTECH's Claw grip plate that will keep it in place during activities.

In a dump bag, HSGI's Gas mask/ spent magazine bag, set on their suspension system with the knife space behind the main body an external pouch for misc. peices, an internal pocket and  a zippered/ flap style access...which makes a very multi purpose "bag".
Durability? Both are made with 1000 denier cordura and 138 thread weight....bombproof tough stuff.
I use all the above and have sold them to my police and military customers, but again SOE, EAGLE...I sell both of those manufacturers as well and would have no reservations in using those pieces either!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not an instructor,but I know alittle about gear,and I took a class once where I learned "train how You fight'.

I had`an Eagle evidence pouch('dumper'), part of my black gear,and it was 'the standard',awhile ago.I got an Eggroll dumper in Coyote,four or five more, and have traded three of them already.I have a hard time keeping them,they are compact and popular.I changed my mounting system(X'ed the malice clips) so that I could QR the whole pouch if I wanted.

Sometimes I see a piece of gear and I KNOW it is squared away,if I was able to study every pouch made and try to put together a dumper,and make it perfect,I couldn't do it better than what I've seen of Recce Gears MM (designed) Dumper.I was so impressed with the description and pics of MM's design,and what I've seen online of Recce's Gear,that I ordered four of them,and I will not trade any of them.
If I had the $$ I would have ordered twenty and used them as primo trade goods.
There WILL be a better dumper,that's the fact,someone will genius up a thing we all have to have,someday,but my recomendation is to check out military morons site for a description B4 you buy.

I have a belt rig,except for the pistol(USGI holster with GI dropleg extender,and that's not that lowriding of a rig) I like to keep my legs clear.While walking my property I have two modes,casual(covert) and tactical(overt).With my casual I can wear an 'anarok'or a bdu top one size larger,and cover up my slung carbine and belt rig.When I lived in Chicago my friends would jokingly call that my "Subway Rig".
I think a rig setup for classes would work pretty well as a covert 'low key' patrolling rig,and would turn an evening walk into a training session,,,,if it's the same gear you'd wear in class,or on the job.

I like the design of the MM Recce gear,HSGI brand 'type' dumpers,because in a pinch they are`capable of carrying 7 loaded mags or a couple of bandoliers of shotgun,for a heavier loadout without adding any pouches to your rig.
I've tried the dump pouch on the leg,NoGo.I wore a protective mask on my leg for too long,there's spots on my thigh the hair has worn off and doesn't grow anymore,hehehe.I wear my dumper on a belt,or at belt height on my armor.I would mount my first four mags on the 'beltline',two left and two right,like an LBE,and pistol mags on one side-dumper on the other,utility stuff in the rear out of the way,I would choose two smaller pouches over one large one.
Add some HSGI brand suspenders,,,
Wait,that looks like an ALICE rig.

My 'overt' gear is armor mounted,pouches in the same general location as on my belt rig.Pistol under my left arm,nothing on the legs.

BulletcatchR

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
got any pix of ur gear catcher?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I can hookup a pic for you.
Up until the last year or so my 'patrolling' rig was an Poly-tech AK side folder with a mag in and a mag in my pocket,and a Glock 17 in a shoulder holster with a mag in and two under the arm.
I've been meaning to dump my 'black gear' into a pile and sort thru it,take inventory and a few pics.I started sewing on a 'low-profile' armor plate carrier project to hang off my 'HSGI' (style)suspenders,that will incorporate storage for 4 extra M-4 mags.I will knock that out and take a pic of the whole ensemble.
Back when the AR had` triangular handguards,I would take an ALICE magpouch,dis-assemble it,and re-sew it to hold two mags,without a lid, for my belt pouches.these days Eagle,BHI,and everyone else makes nice M-4 pouches.I prefer 'quickdraw' retention mag pouches on my belt.What KIND of AR pouches could be whole `nother thread.I have Fobus pistol magazine carriers.I also have a style of suspenders fashioned after the USGI two point style.If you decide to go with leg pouches,I found that hanging a dropleg holster or subload from a two point rig tansfers the weight to the  shoulders without 'belt sag'.

Needless to say anything worth buying can be found at LF,and it's a great site to compare products.
For all the 'hot air'I can tranfer to 'paper',nothing beats going to a friendly range,or a class,and ask questions and try different gear.

When I decided to upgrade my armor this year I had to decide between concealable(what I've always had)and an OTV(outer tactical vest).I went with the OTV and OTV mounted pouches and haven't used my belt rig since(I probably will again once I get the plate carrier figured out).I can still wear an Anarok or other cover over the OTV and gear,if I don't feel like freaking out my neighbors.

Bulletcatchr

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Recce Gear MM Dump Pouch.  Jon does great work, very well thought out.  I also really like his coyote brown version.

SOE makes great stuff too.  I have their padded duty belt.  It's great kit as well.  The off-set buckle is a bit weird looking though.

You can't go wrong with Eagle either....

Carrying 4 5.56 30rounders on a drop leg can get cumbersome.  Be careful.  Walking/running can be more difficult.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#12]
any one give me some info on a chest type rig?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both a SOTech Rifleman's Chest Harness and a Hellcat (original - soon to be upgraded to a Mk III).  I really like them both, however I feel that the RCH does a better job of toting heavy loads all day long.  That said, I LOVE the modularity of the Hellcat.

Find someone who has one or the other and try them out.  Bottom line, you can't go wrong following advice from James at LF

MG49
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Is price a factor?

here's a $50 rig:
http://stubbygear.com/product.asp?productid=27005

here's a $105 rig ($135 w/detachable option):
http://www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=1273586
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
here's a $50 rig:
stubbygear.com/product.asp?productid=27005

here's a $105 rig ($135 w/detachable option):
www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=1273586

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top