Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 11:24:57 AM EDT
Hi, I would like to make my own bullet proof vest. I want it to be able to take atleast a .44 mag shot. Any one have any ideas on wear I could get the materials?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh, I don't know if you realize all that's involved with these. #1, the materials are built up using many many layers. #2, the equipment that is used to get these layers together cost considerable money. #3, you're gonna be betting your life on it-are you willing to do that? Comfort and weight-wise, the commercial ones are going to be better than creating your own, as they've got the resources and experience. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, as new ideas in gear is always refreshing and enterprising, but this is one area I would leave to the current manufacturers. If you're talking about tac-vests or LBV's, that's different, or if you're talking about carriers to put panels in, but to create your own ballistic panels themselves is going to be more than you think.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I know that they do alot of layers, and have looked into it before, but I want to make my own vest just to say that I have done it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Why does a image of my little yellow book flash through my head? You know, the one titled: "Darwin Awards".

I hope, sir, that you will never *ever* wear it and think it will protect you.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Amateurs.

The real high speed operators just duct tape the trauma plates directly to the skin.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hi, I would like to make my own bullet proof vest. I want it to be able to take atleast a .44 mag shot. Any one have any ideas on wear I could get the materials?

You can get the materials from any online place that sells bulk fabric.Just don't tell them what you're making.You'll also have to invest in a decent commercial sewing machine if you don't have one already.I'm sure you'll go through alot of needles as well.Your best bet is to get some ballistic panels from an older/or new vest and just make the carrier.Making your own is just going to be way too expensive for something to say "I made it myself".Just do as Lightfighter suggested and hang a pan from your neck.It'll be alot cheaper and probably work better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I've thought of saving old chainsaw chaps from work and trying one. Sometimes the chain will rip 1 leg and they throw the whole thing away. I'm pretty sure it's kevlar. Would that work?

MM419
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
fibreglast.com/products.php?session=f6b956efb1bb2bdcac25839bb4684302&area=6

I will never forsake an opportunity to assist in the betterment of the human species.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
" Sure I am sure I made it myself, why ?"

" An Easy bake oven my kid had , why ? "

"Of course its loaded ! It wouldn't be a test now would it, if it wasnt loaded "

" No really, just hold my beer and watch this"

" Just pull the trigger, dont be a pussy "

Operator " 911 Please state the nature of the emergency"

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
do you really have a need for a bulletproof vest living under that bridge?
i'd assume that you have more fear of villagers armed with torches and pickforks....
(or billygoat horns...)
(PS-don't trust the little goat...eat him!)

(cuz he's a troll...get it?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top