Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 12:12:22 PM EDT
I'm interested in the forums thoughts on the best slug load for black bears.  250-400 pounders. This will for use in a new Benelli M4.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Brenneke is a lot harder and penatrates more than all the other full diameter slugs.If you are going to shoot a .72 cal,I want a full size projectile.

I read a while back that Peter Capstick thought about using a 10ga brenneke slug on a Cape Buff.I dont know that he ever did before he died.

I have never seen a 10gauge Brenneke slug.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Alaska, Up close most any 12 gauge slug would work but I would stay away from the sabot slugs and agree that the 3" mag Brenneke's would be a good place to start. Remington is coming out with a new slug this year called the buck hammer. I don't know any more about it at this  time. I would stay with 3" and preform some tests on different brands. MIKE.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Alaska_AR-15,
    Hi.  I've got two M1014's, and they are extremely accurate with Rottweil Breneke 3," 1 3/8 oz. Gold Magnums.  Would not hesitate to take on anything I've seen- either with two or four legs...  However, recoil, even with these magnificent weapons, is a bit stiff.  Also a great round, is the Federal Classic rifled slug in 3" magnum.  Just 1 1/4th oz, it is quite capable of taking most game.  Not as hard a lead alloy as the Brenneke, it does mushroom more.  Better for dear or game that does not include lots of tough skin, dense muscle, big bones, or a down right viscious attitude...  If either of these great rounds is not available, the Winchester 3" Magnum in 1oz. should be adequate for small bears...  If you can, the Brenneke is the best...  What kind of patterns are you getting on 00Buck at 25yds?  I'm curious, as I'm getting 6" patterns at 25yards.  Is this "normal?"  I had noticed that the old "rule" of 1" for each yard, was the norm...  If so, I'm VERY happy...  As to slugs, I'm getting clover leafs at the same distance...  Looking forward to going out soon, as weather and time permit, to sight-in my Meprolight night sights and Meprolight Reflex 21 sights at 100 yards...  Hope the info on slugs helps...

Carter, GLOCK21_30Man, out...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Just picked up my M1014 today and due to work probably won't get out for a week or so to throw a few boxes down range and see how she does.  

Thanks for the info on slugs.  I'll check around and see if Brenneke or available locally and will take a peak at your other suggested loads while I'm at it.

Thanks again,

George
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top