Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 8:02:38 PM EDT
Can anybody help me out??? The barrel I am looking for seems to be impossible to find. It's a Remongton 870 18" Long, 2 3/4" or 3" (OR BOTH), parkerized or blue finish, and bead sight.I already tried Brownells and they are out of stock with no ETA on when they will have them. All other dealers/websites I tried only have 20" barrels or are telling me they are not available anymore. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

RABIDFOX

AR15/M4
Glock22
H&K USP .45
REM870
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wondering why you want the 18 and not the 20? 2" in a fighting shotgun really is not all that much. Also why the bead sight? If your using it for combat the ghost ring or rifle sights will do you MUCH better.

There are several custom houses that can cut and recrown your current barrel. they can even counter bore it for better shot patterns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, there are thousands of these barrels around, and I seriously doubt Remington has stopped making them. (Ah yes, the old "Since I don't have one of THOSE for sale, but I DO have one of THESE, 'They' have stopped making THOSE now", trick) I think Brownell's may have some, but I'm willing to bet you can find one quick at a very good price on the EE right here.

Of course, Remington, like most manufacturers does make "runs" of various products such as barrels, or finishes (they used to make only a single small run per year of parkerized 870 police models, for instance, so for a while after these guns hit the dealers, you would see them everywhere, and once they were sold out, they were scarce until the next run was made) To my knowledge, the vast majority of the 18" barrels will be cylinder bore only.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
JonK, ikor. Thanks for the input. I'm on a budget and thought getting a plain jane 18" CB with bead sight would be the low $$ way to go. Afterwards I will get ghost ring sights and some other goodies. Since my department uses 870's in it's patrol cars/trucks, I figured I would go with one for my own use/practice. I will keep searching the EE for one or as JonK said go with a 20 inch and maybe have it cut down. A buddy of mine did give me an 18 inch BBL. last night after I posted this but I do not know about its condition!?!? The outside is about 50% (I would have it reparked anyway) and the inside is a bit rusted. Funny thing is I cleaned it up pretty good and there are no pits in it. The inside barrel is shiny but still it looks like there is rust in it. I will try it out this weekend with light loads for function. Do you guys think this is a bad barrel or is it normal. The barrel is about 8 years old and came off a issued weapon (my buddy got it at auction 2 yrs. ago and never used it). Thanks for your help guys. AR15.com has always been a wellspring of info for my AR project and now the same goes for my 870 build. Happy Holidays.

Rabidfox (Jeff)

AR/M4
Glock22
H&K USP
REM870
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Mossberg makes one for the 870.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The barrel you got from your buddy is almost certainly just fine. All a standard shotgun barrel is is a glorified piece of steel tubing. You can take a cylinder brake hone from the auto parts house on a drill and get any surface rust off chamber surfaces with no problem...pitting in the barrel makes no significant difference in performance, and in the chamber, only if it creates feeding or extraction issues. Clean the barrel up and shoot the Hell out of it.

PS: Buy your buddy a beer and thank him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Mossberg makes one for the 870.

I picked up a Mossberg 18.5" BBL for my Rem 870 at a fun show for about $90.00.  It is cylinder bore with front bead sight.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.  I believe I saw the same barrel in Natchez a little later.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I also picked up the same Mossberg Barrel for the Rem870 with a bead and have no problems at all with it and would recommend it.  Same price, around $90 bucks at a gunshow in Houston. You should be able to find one no problem, that is depending on where you are located.  Seems like theres a gunshow here in Houston every two weeks or at least once a month.  Texas Rules.  And in Texas, you've got to have a shotgun!
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fox, The barrel, 12 gauge 18.5", cylinder bore, bead sight, made by Mossberg for the Remington 870 is available from WWW.Cabelas.com for $89.99. But like Ikor said the old one from your friend should work fine. Mike.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]
mike103, many thanks. I had my local gunsmith take a look at the BBL. and he said the same thing. I went and got a second Remington 18 inch one from the equip. exchange so I now have two. The new one is in much better shape and looks like new. I will either keep the old one as a backup part or sell it. I thank everybody for all the help. Jeff B. (RABIDFOX)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top